Change head unit on old French Car Citroen ZX - Cabling issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

Oby4455

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi! 

I recently got a car from a friend, a Citroen ZX 1.4l from 1995. There was already a newer head unit (Scott brand) but I want to replace it by a Pioneer with bluetooth. I bought then a Pioneer MVH-S030BT. 

I removed the older head unit and I don't understand the cabling. I can't plug the connector into the Pioneer unit because it does not fit. I am attaching some pictures. 

[/img] [/img] [/img] [/img]

What do you guys think I should do to make this work ?

Thank you in advance for your help! 

Hi! 

I recently got a car from a friend, a Citroen ZX 1.4l from 1995. There was already a newer head unit (Scott brand) but I want to replace it by a Pioneer with bluetooth. I bought then a Pioneer MVH-S030BT. 

I removed the older head unit and I don't understand the cabling. I can't plug the connector into the Pioneer unit because it does not fit. I am attaching some pictures. 

[/img] [/img] [/img] [/img]

What do you guys think I should do to make this work ?

Thank you in advance for your help! 
where did you buy the pioneer unit from? that cable in the fist pic looks different than a stock one. you in GB or FR? 

nvm, i did some googleing :)

it looks like its supposed to be a plug and play replacement for the old OEM radio, but if there was a scott brand named deck in there already, im betting that someone did a cut-n-splice to get the old deck in. Youre probably going to have to cut the 2 larger molex plugs off the harness and do some splicing either by soldering or bell crimps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I am in France :)  I bought the unit at Norauto (auto part store in FR) but I had the same head unit (bought in March this year) on my Dodge Ram in the U.S and the cable was the exact same. 

So you think I should cut the cables where the two black Molex are? Then I connect them into the white molex from the car ? Thanks again! 

I think I understood. I need to cut the cables from the two black molex connectors and also the cables from the white molex then connect all of them with butt connectors. I have done something similar with my other car but I had pre-terminated butt connectors so it was easier.

I will get them tomorrow and post an update. I am just wondering what are the white and red connectors for? They are not connected to anything...?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I understood. I need to cut the cables from the two black molex connectors and also the cables from the white molex then connect all of them with butt connectors. I have done something similar with my other car but I had pre-terminated butt connectors so it was easier.

I will get them tomorrow and post an update. I am just wondering what are the white and red connectors for? They are not connected to anything...?
yep, thats what looks like you need to do. I think the european car manufacturers use similar molex plugs on their heads to make changing easier. the old top gear (before clarkson) made it seems like changing a radio was very common for that era, which would make sense out of a unified plug scenario. If the previous deck was hardwired in, then youll have to undo the previous owners work and re-do it with your new deck. The red and white look like RCA jacks. Who knows tho, its French. It could be the power supply for a flux capacitor

I cut the wires and redid the cabling with butt connectors. It works great now and was easier than I originally thought! Here are pictures of the process/new setup : 

Thank you again for all your help :)

I cut the wires and redid the cabling with butt connectors. It works great now and was easier than I originally thought! Here are pictures of the process/new setup : 

Thank you again for all your help :)
no problem. let us know how it turns out. I spent 6 weeks between Piatr Neamt, Romania and The pelican resort in Dyuni Bulgaria in a Citroen C3. Weird French cars LoL!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.