Ultra caps or lithium?

Participant count
  • Participant list

winkychevelle
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
As the title states I'm a bit lost on the best way to solve my problem. Maybe not, but a second opinion would be nice

As it stands my truck has 2 80ah agms under the hood and a 200a alt.

My total system fusing is 190amps so including the truck I'm slightly over the alt capacity.

My issue is simple, I have light dimming. Nothing severe, and on long notes I dont drop voltage more than .4v 

It just bugs me that on faster kick bass my truck pulsates slightly

Already did the big 3 and power wire is 1/0

Whether batt or cap, either would be mounted in my truck took box with one 1/0 cable going back to my distribution block and common ground location.

Lithium doesn't seem to be the best answer because I'm not drawing alot of power over time. But could a 500farad ultra cap or 2 keep up? 

You never mentioned what amps.    Supercap banks would probably work, but for the money so would a proper HO alternator which may be easier and most effective.   Of course .4V drop is not really an issue for anything so also switching to LED headlights would also be a simple fix.

It's just a pair of pdr-m65s and a pdr-f50

Not alot of amp draw it's just the stupid surge draw. I dont think lithium will do anything for me and a ho alt prolly wont either since the truck regulates voltage quite poorly.

Adding a secondary alt with a standalone voltage regulator is a future upgrade after I add my air setup, and winch

Led lights need to be ordered thats been on the to buy list for a while just forget about it once i get online to buy things

alternators are slow.  in order to provide more current they produce a mechanical load on the engine and the engine has to do more work to turn the alternator (which is affected by the belt as well).   bigger alternators are no exception and require even more work to do the job.  if your dimming is only at idle and not at 2500RPM then you may be exceeding the idle output of the alt, or it may be slow, or both.

batteries are slow and don't really want to stay above their float voltage, so you're forcing them to stay there.

ultracaps don't really care what voltage they are at and are stupid fast at reacting (charging or discharging) and they resist voltage changes in typical capacitor fashion.   I'm happy with mine and have been for over 5 years.  I haven't needed a larger alternator or second battery.  I have a video on my YouTube channel talking about using ultracaps.

Consider that hybrid cars are starting to use ultracaps for regenerative braking storage and quick power sourcing and do so in parallel with batteries.

Even if you had lithium, you'd still get drop between the alt output and the battery float voltage. 

Last edited by a moderator:
alternators are slow.  in order to provide more current they produce a mechanical load on the engine and the engine has to do more work to turn the alternator (which is affected by the belt as well).   bigger alternators are no exception and require even more work to do the job.  if your dimming is only at idle and not at 2500RPM then you may be exceeding the idle output of the alt, or it may be slow, or both.

batteries are slow and don't really want to stay above their float voltage, so you're forcing them to stay there.

ultracaps don't really care what voltage they are at and are stupid fast at reacting (charging or discharging) and they resist voltage changes in typical capacitor fashion.   I'm happy with mine and have been for over 5 years.  I haven't needed a larger alternator or second battery.  I have a video on my YouTube channel talking about using ultracaps.

Consider that hybrid cars are starting to use ultracaps for regenerative braking storage and quick power sourcing and do so in parallel with batteries.

Even if you had lithium, you'd still get drop between the alt output and the battery float voltage. 
This has been my understandingsince my voltage issue isnt severe

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.