Comments before I buy this sub and make a box

Participant count
  • Participant list

Joel114

CarAudio.com Recruit
I plan on getting this Sundown E-10 V.3 D4 subwoofer and I am going to put it in a 1ft³ with a 2" by 6.8" round flared port which would have a 32hz tuning frequency. I would use 3/4" MDF and attached an image of what the dB gain at different frequencies and the air velocity of the port. Were and what would people recommend for carpet and piping for the port? Also Should I add some polyfill to the box? Is this a good sub?

Sundown dB.PNG

Sundown Air Velocity.PNG

A 2inch port is way too small for that sub. 3 inch is the minimum I would use.

The E10v3 is a highly capable sub, last year I put one in 1.25cf tuned to 34hz and used a 3 inch port. 

Polyfill is not needed in a ported box, not a fan of carpet, I use paint or stain. 

Q5.jpg

A 2inch port is way too small for that sub. 3 inch is the minimum I would use.

The E10v3 is a highly capable sub, last year I put one in 1.25cf tuned to 34hz and used a 3 inch port. 

Polyfill is not needed in a ported box, not a fan of carpet, I use paint or stain. 

View attachment 2050
Did you use a 4" vent that was 26.25" long? Where did you get it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you use a 4" vent that was 26.25" long? Where did you get it?
It's a 3 inch port that flares to 5 inches on either end. The length isn't adjustable so you have to make a box a little bigger to get a lower tuning but hey it's only $4

https://www.parts-express.com/flared-port-tube-3-id-x-11-l-with-5-flared-ends--269-165

Here's a standard adjustable 3 inch aeroport:

https://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-3-flared-speaker-cabinet-port-tube-kit--268-350

This site also has carpet if you so desire:

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/cabinet-hardware-speaker-grill-cloth/22

It's a 3 inch port that flares to 5 inches on either end. The length isn't adjustable so you have to make a box a little bigger to get a lower tuning but hey it's only $4

https://www.parts-express.com/flared-port-tube-3-id-x-11-l-with-5-flared-ends--269-165

Here's a standard adjustable 3 inch aeroport:

https://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-3-flared-speaker-cabinet-port-tube-kit--268-350

This site also has carpet if you so desire:

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/cabinet-hardware-speaker-grill-cloth/22
Thank you, I think I am just going to paint It and I am also going to get the one you used with a 1.25ft³ box. Would you be able to help me on this other topic if you have experience with some of these brands?

Thank you, I think I am just going to paint It and I am also going to get the one you used with a 1.25ft³ box. Would you be able to help me on this other topic if you have experience with some of these brands?
If you're painting mdf, make sure to use BIN primer first. It helps the top coat stick better and gives a better overall result. 

Infinity Kappas are great speakers, I haven't used the others you mentioned. If I wasn't piecing together a component set I would always go with the Infinity Kappas. 

If you're painting mdf, make sure to use BIN primer first. It helps the top coat stick better and gives a better overall result. 

Infinity Kappas are great speakers, I haven't used the others you mentioned. If I wasn't piecing together a component set I would always go with the Infinity Kappas. 
Okay, thank you. I have still not decided if it is worth the hassle for the components over the coaxials. Have you used both and noticed much of a difference? Also is 14 awg good enough for the from the amp speakers and sub?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, thank you. I have still not decided if it is worth the hassle for the components over the coaxials. Have you used both and noticed much of a difference? Also is 14 awg good enough for the from the amp speakers and sub?
Components will usually sound better than coaxials. When you're more experienced you can pick out individual drivers and crossovers from parts express and build your own set. When you're a beginner its easier to stick to a set made by a reputable company. The Kappa line has always been the highest series for Infinity and it's always been a solid product for the money. 

14ga is fine for the speakers, I would do 12ga or 10ga to the sub. 

I've painted a few mdf boxes before. Your def gonna want to primer it 1st because that mdf soaks it up like a sponge. I don't recall how much primer I put on, coats, prob 3-4 before I felt it was good enough to paint and shows a nice smooth surface w/o showing any mdf areas. Then paint it.

Components will usually sound better than coaxials. When you're more experienced you can pick out individual drivers and crossovers from parts express and build your own set. When you're a beginner its easier to stick to a set made by a reputable company. The Kappa line has always been the highest series for Infinity and it's always been a solid product for the money. 

14ga is fine for the speakers, I would do 12ga or 10ga to the sub. 
What do you use for supports, mdf or wood? Do you put some in the corners?

On a box that small all you need is vertical bracing. I use 1 1/4 inch dowels from Home Depot. 45s in the corners are optional but if you plan on using them make sure to make the box bigger to compensate for their displacement. I didn't use 45s on the box I built. 

Black autobahn carpet from menards looks really nice on sub boxes, I used to use it all the time but I don’t bother anymore cuz I don’t keep anything that long. Autobahn or autobond... I can’t remember lol, anyway it’s thin black carpet that I think is 6ft wide and go whatever length you want. Goes on easy with some spray adhesive or contact cement.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.