coaxes start clipping at low volume, stock h/u to LOC to two amps, one for subs and one for coaxes

Participant count
  • Participant list

SYLrules
10+ year member

PERMANENT VACATION
Just finished an install in my 2016 sorento (my very first complete install by myself!) and everything powers on but im getting some white noise through the coax speakers and if I barely turn the volume up, they distort heavily.

The system: 0 ga going to a dist block, two 4 ga runs out, one to a 2 chan pioneer amp powering 4 door speakers (worked great in previous vehicle) and the other to a boss mono amp powering a shallow mount pioneer sub (amp worked great powering two 12" ma audio XLs in previous vehicle, the sub is brand new). The goal was to use gear I already had and do this cheap, so I kept the stock h/u, ran all speaker wires from it to a kicker LOC (KISLOC), single pair of RCAs to an MA audio X over (worked great but last used 10 years ago), two pairs of RCAs going to their respective amps. I know it's not ideal and maybe I could have spent a little more and gone with a LOC/Xover combo, but that KISLOC was only like $18.

I tried adjusting the levels on the KISLOC, the Xover, and the pioneer amp, but no matter what, the distortion would come in at about the same low volume when I would start turning up the head unit. I could take a quick video of it tomorrow. Before I finished hooking up the door speakers, I turned everything on and the sub was working but stayed pretty quiet (amp gain is slightly less than half). sub volume also seemed to max out when the radio was turned up half way, didn't seem to get any louder as I cranked the h/u to max. I figured I could address that later as the coax speaker issue is more pressing and may be related to the sub volume issue.

I was hoping to keep the stock h/u just because I don't need anything fancy and I like where the knobs and buttons are, but is it possible that the h/u is just crap? I know people usually send their rear speaker outs through this LOC and then run that signal to power a sub only, but in theory, it should work fine how I have it wired, yes? any help is appreciated!

You have to just start ruling out problems/components.

I would start by sending a signal to the amp from an mp3 player and see what happens. If there is no noise move to the crossover. If there is no noise send a high level signal to the LOC from a source other then the stock HU.

Even newer stock hu's are garbage for a clean signal.  Your also using cheap amps to your system and a very cheap LOC. Audiocontrol makes a  pretty good one and Rockford Fosgate DSR-1. In theory, your trying to make cheap components sound good....not gonna happen.

In most new cars, the more volume you add on the stock hu, the more it will lower the bass output, which protects the junk stock speakers. Until you install a piece that cleans up the stock signal, you will probably be spinning your wheels, and driving yourself crazy.

Hey all, thanks for the replies! It's been a minute since I've had a system in a vehicle so my understanding of troubleshooting these things was a bit rusty. Haunz, thank you for steering me in the right direction! plugged my phone into each amp and then right into the crossover on my lunch break at work and everything sounded great. Scratched my head the rest of the day then realized that all the reviews I'd read about this LOC said to just plug the rear speaker wires into the thing. I had plugged both the front and rear speaker wires into it, so the signal coming from the converter must have been way too hot still. When I got home, I removed the front spkr wires and everything is gravy now. I have to turn the sub amp and the sub channel output on the X-over up pretty high to get a strong enough bass signal but everything sounds great. Can't expect much more out of a stock unit. I'll probably end up upgrading in the future but for now, this is more than adequate!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.