Yet another n00b seeking speaker recommendations

Participant count
  • Participant list

kcducttaper

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently bought a Trailblazer (non-EXT version). The previous owner bought some el-cheapo Kenwood Road Series speakers in there and they're...well....awful. My EQ curve looks like a drunken rollercoaster just to make it sound half way decent. Even still, there's not much detail and they sound super muddy in the 100-200Hz range. Clearly, I'm interested in swapping them out with some nicer speakers, but I'm not very familiar with car audio components. I don't need anything crazy awesome (unless y'all feel obligated to donate to the cause ;) ), but I do want to go "oh, that sounds nice!" when I switch it on after a long day at work and not have any offensive frequencies or find it noticeably lacking in any particular department.

The Trailblazer setup and speaker holes are as follows:
Pioneer AVH-X4800BS head unit (14w RMS)
I have yet to get an amp, but I see good reviews on the JBL GX-A604. I'd probably slide it under my passenger seat.
A 6.5" in each of the 4 doors.
A separate tweeter mount in the front doors only (right next to the drivers at the bottom). I'll relocate the tweeters to be on the.....whatever that trim piece is at the top-front of the door panel that hides the mirror screws or in the dash speaker holes.
2x 2.5" speaker holes in the dash. These were used with the optional Bose system, but mine doesn't have that, so I just have empty brackets up there.

My goals:
Under $100/pair.
Preferably a line with both a component option and a coaxial option. I'd run components up front and coaxials in the rear doors where there isn't really a good place to plop a separate tweeter.
Good SQ throughout the range. I bought 2 sets of JBL Club 6" x 8" for my pickup and was not impressed. They're harsh and honky without some beastly EQ and have no lows.
As good a bass as I can reasonably get from 4x 6.5"s. I won't be running a sub, but I don't need to rattle my license plate either - though it would be nice to crank it up a little bit every now and then. I just want nice, strong, smooth, detailed response down to at least 40Hz (with cabin gain) or as close to that as I can get at casual listening levels.
As stealth as I can reasonably get. I don't want to put anything in the trunk nor do I want to get custom panels. I want it to look stock with the possible exception of the mounted tweeters.

The JBL GTO609C and matching coaxials look like a decent set. I see a handful of reviews say they have good bass response, but I'd like to get some thoughts from the audio heads before diving in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was casually browsing the interwebz and found that a populat budget component combo is the Polk Audio DB6502. These look intriguing since they allegedly hit 35Hz. I'm sure that's a bit of an exaggeration, or they were using different measurement techniques than I'll be using them in, but they still have "good bass" reviews. Curious if anyone's ran them before.

No opinions?

Is there a way to figure out how much bass any given driver will put out? In home audio, you have T/S parameters that can give you a good idea with box modeling. I presume, cars would be more or less an infinite baffle setup and I'd really like to see which 6.5 gives me "the best bass" in terms of extension and clarity. That's totally subjective, but which one reduces the need for a sub the most would be another way to put it.

Those Polk Audio comps are good. I have 2 sets of the MM6501. The MM6502 is the replacement for the MM6501, which is discontinued. Mine were 190 shipped. 100 bucks is gonna be difficult to find a comp set unless you go used.

How is the low end on them? Obviously, they're not gonna rattle things, but would I be consistently wishing I had a sub with these at casual listening levels? I'm not super locked-down at 100/pair, but I don't want to go much over that since I'm not building a crazy system. Just looking to replace the junk that's in there now.

How is the low end on them? Obviously, they're not gonna rattle things, but would I be consistently wishing I had a sub with these at casual listening levels? I'm not super locked-down at 100/pair, but I don't want to go much over that since I'm not building a crazy system. Just looking to replace the junk that's in there now.
You mean midbass? Your def wanna sub later on or now to help fill the voided gap. No way in hell I would roll around with just comps only being subless. That said, I can't really answer your question because I'm not giving them the power they deserve. Ran out of time in the summer to hook them up to my 5 ch amp. But...have heard from other owners of the same comps they put out some pretty good midbass. Just sound deaden your door around the area and you should be ok.

$100 will be stretching on anything decent. Especially a passive set. If you were active, it would still be tough, but a little easier. That said, I have a set of (Volvo) Dynaudio mids and tweets that I would sell for $150 shipped, but you would need crossovers. I also have a passive 2-way set of McIntosh comps I’m looking for $225 shipped. If you are interested, just shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the replies!
Ultimately, I'm looking for "the best bass" I can get out of 6.5 components on a budget. Pretty much anything component will satisfy me in terms of clarity and response.
Obviously, a proper sub setup would be ideal, but I'm not interested in sacrificing trunk space for subs at the moment. I'm looking for a solid ~60Hz a least (the lower, the better) setup from the doors, if possible on the cheap(ish). I am willing to spend a little bit more if a certain setup performs 'above and beyond' though.
My reference point is a 1994 Mercury Villager (Nissan Quest). It didn't go super loud, and could barely thump your chest (simple 4-speaker setup without a sub), but it sounded nice and balanced with the ~5w speakers. Surely I can get similar quality plus ~10dB volume without spending more than the Villager was worth in the first place, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver Flute 6.5’s at madisound.com will give you what you are looking for in a 6.5” for ~$75, but that doesn’t include tweets. You will have to find a set that play low though, bcuz they are not nice over 1kHz. To find a tweet that plays low, you will be putting out some cash, and you still don’t have crossovers. Good luck with your system! Please keep us informed, as I am very curious to see how you get this done.

I'm looking for "the best bass" I can get out of 6.5 components on a budget.
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-parts/speaker-components/woofers/anarchy7-4ohm.html

IF you can find the mounting depth for these they'll be the most capable for playing low.   You will need a separate tweeter and either buy/build passive crossovers or use an amp or head unit to cross over. 

Of course these are known to have some breakup up high so you'll want to pair them with a large format tweeter for best results, or be very limited on power with smaller tweeter.

Honesty I think you could get far better results if you just resign yourself to some <100$ coaxials and any sub whatsoever.   Even get a pair of those Anarchy woofers and throw them in .6 cube sealed box would outperform anything you could do in the doors without an extreme deadening/sealing project.  The point being pretty much any sub in any box will do more than the "best" 6.5" mids thrown in your stock locations.

Boomin_tahoe said:
100 bucks is gonna be difficult to find a comp set unless you go used.
 - this.

I don't know why you guys want to put this nice, round, $100.00 limit on component sets......... for around $200.00 you could get into what I would consider a high end set! 

Spend just a little bit more where it counts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.