Am I wasting my time? Low/flat freq response from a small enclosure

Participant count
  • Participants list

1995Tercel
10+ year member

SW Utah
Hello,

I listen to bass music, all  the way to country, classical, solo instruments, acapella... So I want clear (not loud) textured, effortless bass response, from 23hz up. I have seen graphs of flat bass response (curve is literally a horizontal line from tuning freq up to 150hz) but I don't know if I can achieve this in my space restrictions, nor were the box designs made public.

I am new to car audio, and Ive been reading a lot about theory, terminology, and basic anecdotes from people about their setups. What I am struggling to find is information about the practical application of the science of design and tuning a box, picking a specific sub, how to adjust for the volume and dimentions of vehicle cabin, location, and style of enclosure mounting...

I have a 2000 honda insight, there is no trunk. The enclosure must be completely hidden. There is a space underneath the parcel shelf, and behind the battery pack, the dimentions are...

Width- Left to right 21.5in
x
Height- top to bottom 10in
x
Depth- front to back  14in

There is a small amount of leeway to squeeze the enclosure in, say an inch all around, if i have to, and 5 more inches available top to bottom if I remove the spare tire.

Are there some complicated box designs, say with tube ports I can snake around and keep hidden, or special baffles, or compartments, that will produce the freq response I want in the space I have? I have not chosen any equipment yet. 

Im sorry if this is a bothersome question to answer, but I just dont know enough about the topic to know if I am wasting my time trying to learn, if what Im asking for is impossible.

Thank you.

First of all, I think you'll want to stick to 100hz and down (80 and down for preference) for sub duty, plan to get the rest out of the front.   The higher you try to go with the sub the more directional it'll be and tend to pull your soundstage back.   In fact if you can figure out a way to get strong midbass from in front of you (optimum) say down to 50-55hz your sub will have a much narrower bandwidth you'll need it to play making your job an awful lot easier.

That said it doesn't sound like you're after huge output so really your easiest option is to get a solid 1200W sub put it in a sealed box fitting your working space, throw that on a 1200-1500W amp and EQ the hell out of it until it gives you the desired response from your listening position. 

Trying to wring efficiency out of this project will require a whole lot more guess and test on your part and add much more complexity.  More than one way to skin a cat, the catch is how much time, money, and testing you're willing to throw at this project.

Those wattages are rms? 

What does EQ the hell out of it mean? Like play with the amp and head unit settings? 

And for the sealed box, i just go with the volumn the subwoofer specs tell me? 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.