2 or 3 way cross-over?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MrAli

Tehran
I have a Kenwood KMM-BT304 head unit. I do not know Which cross-over should i select in head unit? Now, its setting is in 2way by default and I have paired it with 4 coaxial 2way speakers (Focal RCX130) in front and rear doors.
I want to add an active (powered) subwoofer (JBL BassPro SL) to this gear and I confused which cross-over (2way or 3way) I should select in HU setting in this situation? please guide me. thx.

I have a Kenwood KMM-BT304 head unit. I do not know Which cross-over should i select in head unit? Now, its setting is in 2way by default and I have paired it with 4 coaxial 2way speakers (Focal RCX130) in front and rear doors.
I want to add an active (powered) subwoofer (JBL BassPro SL) to this gear and I confused which cross-over (2way or 3way) I should select in HU setting in this situation? please guide me. thx.

3 way is if your amplifying each speaker on a different frequency band (aka active crossovers). If your component speakers are running off a passive x-over, then select 2 way

3 way is if your amplifying each speaker on a different frequency band (aka active crossovers). If your component speakers are running off a passive x-over, then select 2 way
sorry I do not get your idea. i am a newcomer here. let me explain more about my system: a Kenwood kmm-bt304+1 Sony xm-s400d amplifire (4 Chanel for 4 speakers)+4 Focal rcx130 (2way coaxial speakers) in doors+1 JBL active subwoofer.

which crossover should I select in such a system?

and if I remove active subwoofer, which crossover should I select?

sorry I do not get your idea. i am a newcomer here. let me explain more about my system: a Kenwood kmm-bt304+1 Sony xm-s400d amplifire (4 Chanel for 4 speakers)+4 Focal rcx130 (2way coaxial speakers) in doors+1 JBL active subwoofer.

which crossover should I select in such a system?

and if I remove active subwoofer, which crossover should I select?
ok, so the 3 way/2 way x-over thing is where the deck uses the 6 pre-outs for front/rear/sub for 2 way and front tweeters/front mids/sub for 3 way. # way is known as "active crossovers" or more traditionally "bi-amping". Car component speakers come with tweets, mids and a passive crossover, when running 3 way (aka active x-over, active network or bi-amping) the deck will separate out the frequencies for the tweeter and mid before the amplification happens thereby eliminating the passive x-over. Sound quality is immensely better in an active setup, but you lose the rear channel. Does that help?

ok, so the 3 way/2 way x-over thing is where the deck uses the 6 pre-outs for front/rear/sub for 2 way and front tweeters/front mids/sub for 3 way. # way is known as "active crossovers" or more traditionally "bi-amping". Car component speakers come with tweets, mids and a passive crossover, when running 3 way (aka active x-over, active network or bi-amping) the deck will separate out the frequencies for the tweeter and mid before the amplification happens thereby eliminating the passive x-over. Sound quality is immensely better in an active setup, but you lose the rear channel. Does that help? 
Thank you so much. I get the idea. also the answer from Kenwood support which I received just now is similar to yours:

• [SIZE=10pt]Thank you for contacting JVCKENWOOD Customer Support. In response to your inquiry, with your current setup and future upgrade, we recommend to use the default Crossover (2 way). 3 Way Crossover is only applicable if you have component speaker system (Front Preout for Tweeters, Rear Preout for Midrange, and Sub Preout for Subwoofers).[/SIZE]

Thank you so much. I get the idea. also the answer from Kenwood support which I received just now is similar to yours:

• [SIZE=10pt]Thank you for contacting JVCKENWOOD Customer Support. In response to your inquiry, with your current setup and future upgrade, we recommend to use the default Crossover (2 way). 3 Way Crossover is only applicable if you have component speaker system (Front Preout for Tweeters, Rear Preout for Midrange, and Sub Preout for Subwoofers).[/SIZE]
right on. yeah, their answer is a tad wrong tho. theyre saying that if youre using a component set to use the 3 way crossover but a component set is usually connected to a passive crossover which is after the amplifier, but it sounds like you have the concept 

right on. yeah, their answer is a tad wrong tho. theyre saying that if youre using a component set to use the 3 way crossover but a component set is usually connected to a passive crossover which is after the amplifier, but it sounds like you have the concept 
My understanding from your answer and Kenwood ones simply is this: use 2way crossover when using only coaxials in doors or coaxials+sub. and use 3way when using components including tweeters+mids+sub.

Isn't it correct?!

My understanding from your answer and Kenwood ones simply is this: use 2way crossover when using only coaxials in doors or coaxials+sub. and use 3way when using components including tweeters+mids+sub.

Isn't it correct?!
Use 3 way when you're aplifying the tweeter on its own channel of the amp, same as the mid. 2 way when using component speakers on a passive crossover

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.