2016 F350 crewcab stereo

Participant count
  • Participants list

osiris

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, looking to build a decent system for my superduty.  Currently it has the ford navigation with the sony sound system and 8" sub behind the seat.  I listen to a wide variety of music like AC/DC and the Rolling Stones all the way to Beethoven haha.  I listen to some rap when the kids aren't around and country as well.  I was leaning towards a couple of 10" subs for behind the seat?  I also was contemplating some JL c5 for the front and the c3 for the rear.  What would you guys recommend for the money?  JLs or is there something better for the same price or even a little less or more?  I Had a stereo with 6 w6 8" subs and it was awesome, but left a little to be desired for the hip/hop and rap I like to listen to as well.  I want my kids or wife when she sits in the back to be able to hear the words as well so clarity is pretty important to me.  I am not trying to win any shows or anything like that, just looking for a good setup.  I would like to stay under 2k for the parts alone.  thanks guys!

Anything other than crickets in here? lol
I did my brother's 2012 F250 last year and we used JBL Stadium components up front which sounded great, we have JBL GTO components in his Civic which I really like and I used the GTO components in my Corolla.   Anyway, I'm a big JBL fan for components.  Great performance for the money.  

https://www.caraudio.com/topic/596780-2011-ford-f250-super-duty-crew-cab-simple-and-fast-build-part-1/?tab=comments#comment-8610657

Not many pics and I didn't get any of the door work but behind the back seats was a fine place to mount amps.... IIRC it was pretty snug back there so I don't know what you'd have for room for subs in that spot.   The better sub boxes I've seen in trucks like this are multiple 6" subs under the seats.  The box pictured here is 3 cube net with a rather large port.   Half the width of that box could support a beefy 10" woofer, depending how many people ride with you that might be your best option for big sound.

He has a 2017 F350 now and we haven't done anything to it yet since it has the fancy factory system and we spent all his free time this year (which isn't much) working on his Civic.  Looks about the same as his older 250 as far as the rest of it.  Anyway, I believe there are 6X8 or some other oddballs in the stock locations we bought some adapter plates (though you could make your own out of wood if you like).  Another handy thing is the factory wire to the factory speakers plugs and unplugs, do yourself a favor and buy the pigtail adapters for those, much easier than cutting up stock stuff and gives you a bit more wiggle room.

I'd suggest forget upgrading rear speakers.  We did not in his truck, but put more budget into very good fronts and just left the rears to run off of head unit power. 

Unless it's a cop car it's not like you have a plexi wall that will block sound from the front reaching passengers in the rear and overall you want the mids and highs coming from in front of you.

Anyway, how loud do you need this to get and how much space do you want to sacrifice for a sub?  What's your level of comfort with woodworking/access to tools? 

Lastly if you're looking to amp all around you'll want to start shopping around for a good OEM integration solution like Audison Bit One, RF Threesixty or similar.  AFAIK all the good name brand ones are about as good as the next so pick one you like the looks of and you should be happy.   I'm going to assume you're not replacing that fancy factory nav system. 

You were a bit vague so this post is a bit scattered, but post up more specific questions/issues and you may get more specific advice.  Do please post up pictures or a build log.... there's very few builds online of Ford Super Duty trucks and I know we'll be getting into my brother's 350 at some point.

I apologize for being vague, let me see if I can clear a few things up.  I have had several 2k+ plus builds, which I know doesn't amount to a hill of beans for some of the guys on here.  I am more leaning towards the sound quality of the entire system, which is part of the reason I was wanting to replace the rears, even if its just a small upgrade like some JL c2s or similar.  I had a 97 crewcab ford that has 2 12s behind the back seat with jl audio I beleve TR speakers all around with tweeters front and rear that sounded amazing except for when we were listening to say Fleetwood Mac "The Chain" where the bass solo is, we couldn't hear that very will.  When I say I listen to a wide variety of music I mean a WIDE variety of music.  I want to have a stereo setup that works well will ALL music,  nothing I hate more than a stereo that has amazing bass but you can't hear anything else.  I want to be able to hear the high, mids and lows, I guess I would say I am more of an audiophile that way.  I don't mind spending the money but I also don't want to spend willy nilly if that makes sense.  I am looking for a build that is going to run between 2-3k at the most.  As far as subs go, I was hoping to get something behind the back seat, like one of the JL powerwedge truck boxes, but I am not so sure there is enough room back there for a 10w3 or 12w3 at this point.  I really wanted to keep my under seat storage, but I suppose if I "had" to I could go with something as simple as the JL stealth box.  I keep through JL around because that is what I am most familiar with, however I know that there are probably brands of speakers I know nothing about that are better than JL at the same price point. I have ran focal K2 6.5" speakers and liked them, I have had eclipse and hertz as well.  I am not very familiar with JBL, I had an amp of theirs maybe 20 years ago in the 97 but that was the last I used them. 

Next part of this, for what I am wanting, would I be better off finding some high quality 5x7 6x8 speakers to help retain the mids or would I be better off with 5.25s.  I don't really want to put in all the work for 6.5s but if that is going to be the best thing for me then I may consider it.  I know the question I just asked is argued about all the time so take it easy on me haha.  I am looking for sound quality and ease of installation.  I don't want to spend all weekend inside my truck installing all of this haha.

Thanks guys!

would I be better off finding some high quality 5x7 6x8 speakers to help retain the mids or would I be better off with 5.25s
I like 6x8 for more cone area but what my brother and I ran into there was just not a lot of options in that size and no decent deals on the couple products that actually made something relatively nice in that size.

Where I stand on JL lineup is they're nice but premium priced and if you're not getting into their higher lines you can do better elsewhere.  Even in their higher lines you can generally get the same performance/quality elsewhere at the price point but if you know/trust/like JL just stay out of their bottom shelf offerings and they shouldn't disappoint.

I will say that conventional wisdom does lean against putting mids and highs behind you.  IMO your money is better spent buying better components to put up front and spending the left over time and money into some deadening/sealing of the front locations.  Without proper sound deadening and preparation of mounting location (possibly including custom mounting for better aiming of the drivers) you'll never really achieve "audiophile" sound in a car even with 1200$ a set components and if you plan to just drop something in the stock locations you'll never really notice the "upgrade" into 600$+ per set components vs. something 150-250$ range.  Now if you just want loud and clean really throwing just about any mid-tier product line from any of the reputable speaker brands in the stock holes will get you there. 

I think there were a couple decent looking 6X8 easy fit components so if you want simplest, try your luck and report back.  Same with the rears.  IF you insist, you can probably go pretty cheap and keep them gained down anyway so as to not pull your sound stage back too badly so getting really spendy behind you is flat out crazy.

JL shallow sub looks very nice, though I haven't auditioned one myself and I believe there's a couple other brands that make shallow subs that should get you where you want to be.  If you don't need make your lungs itch bass pretty much anything that you can put in a sealed box in your airspace will do about the same thing.  

This is mostly assuming whatever solution you get to integrate into the factory system has solid EQ/processing capability (the good ones will). 

As I recall my brother and I spent a LONG day doing the install in his 250.   Running power from the batteries back, mounting and wiring amps, getting behind the head unit, doing the doors all eat up a lot more time than you think.  I'm sure if you have done a dozen of them it might go pretty quick but for the casual back yard guy I'd plan 2 full days on that job. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not really set on JL, if I can find something comparable price and better quality I am all over it. Like I said, I just don't know much about other brands.  I agree in a vehicle it is going to be very hard to tell a difference between those speaker types.  I guess I would say I want it as clean as possible with the ability to hear everything going on in the song.

I am not really set on JL, if I can find something comparable price and better quality I am all over it. Like I said, I just don't know much about other brands.  I agree in a vehicle it is going to be very hard to tell a difference between those speaker types.  I guess I would say I want it as clean as possible with the ability to hear everything going on in the song.
Like I said, I'm a huge fan of JBL/Infinity lineup.   Alpine Type R is also a very strong performer for the price range.  Focal of course is good but that's sort of the same basket as JL, stay out of their entry level but at the premium priced tiers they deliver premium product.  

Do you have any shops around you where you can go audition a few different things?  

Got your eye on any amp(s) yet?  Got a mounting space picked out/size limitations?

I was thinking about some of the newer alpine amps for under the front seats.  One of the speakers and one for the sub(s).  There is a shop here in town, I need to go by there, that is where I came up with the c5 idea.  I have read about Morel a little and have liked what I hear about them, but I have always like infinity as well.  There are a few more shops down in Denver which is about 100 miles from me, I am located in Cheyenne wy

I am fairly certain the F350 has exact same interior as the F150, so....  I built my 2015 F150 Platinum.  Complete build log here > http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/72943-2015-f150-platinum-build-amps-subs-tweeters-upgrade-ssa-style

13083255_1182835858395616_6237697641359295052_n.jpg

20171101_132458.jpg

20171105_213547.jpg

20171106_164803.jpg

20171104_135730.jpg

32644929_1922212357791292_283926187560927232_o.jpg

32702608_1922212444457950_8056599653560352768_o.jpg

I was thinking about some of the newer alpine amps for under the front seats.  One of the speakers and one for the sub(s).  There is a shop here in town, I need to go by there, that is where I came up with the c5 idea.  I have read about Morel a little and have liked what I hear about them, but I have always like infinity as well.  There are a few more shops down in Denver which is about 100 miles from me, I am located in Cheyenne wy
Those Alpine PDX amps are solid and small footprint.  A good choice for your application I think.  If you have a shop that sells Alpine do audition the Type R speakers, if you feel like you want to spend into premium tier the Type X components have always been top notch.  Morel is highly regarded so you shouldn't have any issues if you go that direction either.

Here is kinda what I am looking at I think as far as components for the front: 

-Hertz 5.25 esk 130.5

-Alpine spr-50c type r

- JL audio c5

-Morel Tempo Ultra 502

The morel and the JL are the more expensive ones, but given those choices do any of you guys have any experience with these?  I feel like the Morels will probably be the best of the group and then maybe hertz?  I had some hertz speakers before and they were great and they have a pretty good price too.  I can't find a 5x7 that I really care for as far as front components go, but ( I know you said don't worry about it) I was thinking of the 5x7 coaxial for the rear and I am pretty sure whatever brand I decide to go with for the front will be the rear as well. 

As far as the amp I was thinking alpine 4 channel 400 watt either the pdx or the 500 watt 4 channel pdx for the door speakers and then a pdx 600 or mrv 500 alpine 1 channel for the sub(s). 

My stereo has that speaker in the dash, I think its like a 3' speaker maybe?  I was planning on leaving that alone mostly because I just remembered it, but any value to add a 100-150 dollar speaker there? I am not positive but I think you can only buy those in pairs? At least that is what I have been seeing, and maybe I am looking at the wrong size altogether for the dash. 

I am pretty set on getting a shallow mount for behind the seat probably a single 12" and that will probably be a JL or a Fosgate, although I have heard good things about sundown and mephis, I would assume their shallow subs are pretty good? Although I saw alpine had a single 10 in a ported box that would probably fit back there as well.  I am just torn on losing the under seat storage and JL is pretty proud of their 13.5" stealth box for that location.  Any other ideas for that?

Sorry I missed this, sweet build man!  However I have a 16 and the cabins are completely different.  I bet that sounds great tho!

Here is kinda what I am looking at I think as far as components for the front: 

-Hertz 5.25 esk 130.5

-Alpine spr-50c type r

- JL audio c5

-Morel Tempo Ultra 502

The morel and the JL are the more expensive ones, but given those choices do any of you guys have any experience with these?  I feel like the Morels will probably be the best of the group and then maybe hertz?  I had some hertz speakers before and they were great and they have a pretty good price too.  I can't find a 5x7 that I really care for as far as front components go, but ( I know you said don't worry about it) I was thinking of the 5x7 coaxial for the rear and I am pretty sure whatever brand I decide to go with for the front will be the rear as well. 

As far as the amp I was thinking alpine 4 channel 400 watt either the pdx or the 500 watt 4 channel pdx for the door speakers and then a pdx 600 or mrv 500 alpine 1 channel for the sub(s).  

My stereo has that speaker in the dash, I think its like a 3' speaker maybe?  I was planning on leaving that alone mostly because I just remembered it, but any value to add a 100-150 dollar speaker there? I am not positive but I think you can only buy those in pairs? At least that is what I have been seeing, and maybe I am looking at the wrong size altogether for the dash. 

I am pretty set on getting a shallow mount for behind the seat probably a single 12" and that will probably be a JL or a Fosgate, although I have heard good things about sundown and mephis, I would assume their shallow subs are pretty good? Although I saw alpine had a single 10 in a ported box that would probably fit back there as well.  I am just torn on losing the under seat storage and JL is pretty proud of their 13.5" stealth box for that location.  Any other ideas for that?
I'd say any of those components should make you happy.  If you're going with Alpine amps why not do their speakers all around for aesthetics?  Possibly even squeeze a package deal out of the dealer?  

Otherwise, that JL flat sub looks incredibly well built and I'd say it's likely top of the pack as far as shallow subs go, but you are still just super limited with that type of driver so don't expect w7 tier results out of it. 

Well worthy of consideration in the sub department is this:  https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ls10-44-10-low-profile-subwoofer-dual-4-ohm--295-251

Price seems very fair and the Dayton subs are typically very highly regarded.  I've used Dayton mids and tweets in the past and been very pleased with them... don't let the low price fool you, they make damned good sounding drivers.  There is a 12" version of that style as well.

Have you started looking at DSP/Factory integration solutions yet?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.