ggieo

RCA Distortion From Head Unit

So I have a somewhat crappy aftermarket head unit (Boss 460BRGB) so that if my car is broken into and it is stolen it wont be too bad a hit. Anyways I recently installed a Hifonics Zeus ZXX-1000.4 amp for my 4 kenwood 6x9 speakers. The two door 6x9s are rated at 115w rms at 4 ohm and the rear 6x9s are rated at 45w rms at 4 ohm. The amp is able to deliver 125w at 4 ohm x4. I have the amp set at a low voltage until I am able to correctly set it. The amp is connected to the head unit through 2 sets of rca cables. For some reason when I turn the head unit past half way the speakers start smelling and burning up. There is no possible way the amp is delivering more that 45w rms at that low a volume. Before I added the amp the head unit by its self was able to hit 115db with the same speakers. The head unit can supposedly output 18w rms x4.  With the amp added the speakers start smelling at 110db. The only possible way I can figure this is if the head unit is delivering serious distortion through the rca output which is amplified by the amp and causes the speakers to rapidly heat up. This is quite annoying problem because I am now getting less out of the system with the additional amp and would prefer not to destroy my 6x9s. My question is do head units put distortion/ clipping into the rca outputs? Should I upgrade the head unit or upgrade the speakers to ones with higher rms rating?

Edited by ggieo

11 hours ago, ggieo said:

So I have a somewhat crappy aftermarket head unit (Boss 460BRGB) so that if my car is broken into and it is stolen it wont be too bad a hit. Anyways I recently installed a Hifonics Zeus ZXX-1000.4 amp for my 4 kenwood 6x9 speakers. The two door 6x9s are rated at 115w rms at 4 ohm and the rear 6x9s are rated at 45w rms at 4 ohm. The amp is able to deliver 125w at 4 ohm x4. I have the amp set at a low voltage until I am able to correctly set it. The amp is connected to the head unit through 2 sets of rca cables. For some reason when I turn the head unit past half way the speakers start smelling and burning up. There is no possible way the amp is delivering more that 45w rms at that low a volume. Before I added the amp the head unit by its self was able to hit 115db with the same speakers. The head unit can supposedly output 18w rms x4.  With the amp added the speakers start smelling at 110db. The only possible way I can figure this is if the head unit is delivering serious distortion through the rca output which is amplified by the amp and causes the speakers to rapidly heat up. This is quite annoying problem because I am now getting less out of the system with the additional amp and would prefer not to destroy my 6x9s. My question is do head units put distortion/ clipping into the rca outputs? Should I upgrade the head unit or upgrade the speakers to ones with higher rms rating?

head unit for sure. there are tons of decks in the sub $80 range that have decent pre-outs and good eq settings etc etc. Pioneer is the darling of the industry for providing cheap decks that perform well and dont look flashy enough for a would-be thief to consider

On 10/24/2018 at 8:26 AM, youdoofus said:

head unit for sure. there are tons of decks in the sub $80 range that have decent pre-outs and good eq settings etc etc. Pioneer is the darling of the industry for providing cheap decks that perform well and dont look flashy enough for a would-be thief to consider

I took your advice and got a Pioneer-DEH-S6000BS and installed everything correctly. This is the second day ive had it and it freezes up and wont even turn off when I shut the car off. The only way I managed to turn it off it disconnecting the battery. When I reconnected the battery it wont turn back on. When writing this post I havent managed to get it to turn back on even with the car on.

they put distortion and clipping into the pre outs if you have the bass boost, loudness and eq's turned up

most likely you have the amps gains set too high and messed up settings on your head unit. I've never seen a hu unit that was installed "correctly" not power off with the acc off. did you use a harness for your car? are you sure you know which wires are for accessory and constant?

I'm not trying to troll you, but whenever someone with a head unit and speakers in stock locations start talking about how much power handling their speakers have and how many db's i just know we are in for a fun ride.

On 11/10/2018 at 3:22 PM, ggieo said:

I took your advice and got a Pioneer-DEH-S6000BS and installed everything correctly. This is the second day ive had it and it freezes up and wont even turn off when I shut the car off. The only way I managed to turn it off it disconnecting the battery. When I reconnected the battery it wont turn back on. When writing this post I havent managed to get it to turn back on even with the car on.

Video.MOV

did you use a wiring harness when getting it installed? the issue youre describing is very odd. what kind of car?

Boss is complete junk and Hifonics isn't far behind.  I also doubt those Kenwood 6X9s can really hang with 100W.  Head unit power issue definitely sounds like improper install.   I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now