300dollar amp and (self) install budget recommendations

1995Tercel
10+ year member

SW Utah
This is ONLY for the 4 Polk 651 (60W rms 4ohm each) speakers up front. (I am still trying to find someone to custom design a sub box for me, and I'll flush out my second amp and sub when the time comes) I listen to all genres of music, so I need a good all arounder. I don't know much about car audio, but I'm slowly learning.

I'm looking through Sonic Electronix without much guidance other than knowing I need 240w rms at 4 ohm minimum, 4 channels, COMPACT (if possible), install kit, all in a reliable amp.

I've looked at many reviews for a few promising amps, but then I'll dig a bit deeper, and newer purchasers are having new quality control issues. What say you, knowledgeable car audio people?

Car is a 2000 Honda Insight, head unit is a DEH-X9600BHS.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is ONLY for the 4 Polk 651 (60W rms 4ohm each) speakers up front. (I am still trying to find someone to custom design a sub box for me, and I'll flush out my second amp and sub when the time comes) I listen to all genres of music, so I need a good all arounder. I don't know much about car audio, but I'm slowly learning.

I'm looking through Sonic Electronix without much guidance other than knowing I need 240w rms at 4 ohm minimum, 4 channels, COMPACT (if possible), install kit, all in a reliable amp.

I've looked at many reviews for a few promising amps, but then I'll dig a bit deeper, and newer purchasers are having new quality control issues. What say you, knowledgeable car audio people?

Car is a 2000 Honda Insight, head unit is a DEH-X9600BHS.
are you looking for 240 rms for all 4 channels combined or 240 per channel? if the former, youre in good shape, if the latter WHY??? LoL

Rockford Fosgate R400-4D  $125.00 - $150.00.  75w RMS @ 4ohms per channel, but mine was highly underrated. Birthsheet was at 610 RMS. I Had this in my car pushing Maximos for a few days before I upgraded to higher watt speakers.  Semi compact, clean power, and leaves room in the budget for other things. 

Leaves room budget wise for some good 0 gauge OFC to distro block and distro block to whatever gauge wire your amp needs (prep for the sub amp).  Some nice RCAs and quality speaker wire should also fit in the budget with any ferrules/ring terminals/heat shrink thats needed.

Power t400X4ad $220 - $340.00 100w per channel @ 4 ohms. (currently in my commuter, excellent amp) -Super Compact. Manufacturer refurbished can be had at $220.00.

Rockford R300X4 AB Prime 4 $110.00 - $130.00. Rated at 50w RMS @ 4 ohms per channel but again all Rockford amps have been underrated for me. I also own this amp. Birthsheet at 421w RMS.

I would suggest the Pioneer GM FD series but I went through three of them. Channels kept failing and then I gave up on it. Plus these are noisy from my experience. 

Other than that I've also had experience with an Infinity reference amp that was okay. I didn't give it a chance due to the cosmetics of the amp. 

IMG_20181024_082304.jpg

Rockford Fosgate R400-4D   is also a class d instead of a/b, doesnt that lower the sound quality?

I've seen multiple recent reviews of quality control issues with rf, thats why I'm hesitant.
RF prime has been pretty garbage since that line first came out, Punch/Power series has always been great, not sure about the middle of the road ones.

Rockford Fosgate R400-4D   is also a class d instead of a/b, doesnt that lower the sound quality?
These days even the cheap Chinese full range class D should not sound different than A/B.   There's absolutely no reason to use a class A/B amp these days apart from nostalgia.

That said, if you're looking to run a sub and keep things simple you ought to be shopping for a 5 channel amp.

Ah, ok.

I'm looking at the RF sub, amp, enclosure all in one deals. Its like the perfect dimensions to fit under the flap and behind the battery pack of my insight.

Not sure why people hate on the Prime series amps. Per Rockford Fosgate, even the Prime series are designed to put out 10 - 15% more power than rated. If one is looking to go budget, there is no reason to shy away from the Prime series. You can always "upgrade" down the road. I bought a used 1200-D for my sub. Who knows what the previous owner did to the amp. I run it at 2ohms and it works 100% of the time, has never shut off and moves my P3 10" sub with authority. I will actually be looking for an R400-4D to replace my US Acoustics amp when I move it to another car. People call them cheap amps... that doesn't mean they are bad amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.