Been out the game for a while, need recommendations for my setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

SUSHI
10+ year member

Hi Board, Its been a long time since I was last into car audio. I currently have a 2010 Forester which takes 6.5" speakers all around. I plan on replacing the factory head unit with either a Alpine iLX-207 or Pioneer MVH-2400NEX Carplay units. I'll also plan on buying the Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack, because I don't plan on buying a dedicated 4 channel amp (this is considered a simple build).

so I'm mainly looking for speakers that will provide clean sound off of a aftermarket HU with possible boost up to 30wX4ch Alpine power pak. Most likely looking at Coaxial speakers but I wont rule out components (just don't have a factory mounting location for tweeter pods and don't want to build any). I looked into JL Audio C1-650x or the Focal RCX 165 for all around, but unfortunately there no dealers in my area that carry anything high end outside of best buy so I'm unsure of the performance. I'm looking to stay under $150 a pair

I will also pair the speakers up with a 8" sub to just give me a nice clean punchy sound. Currently looking at the Self Amplified JL Audio ACP108LG Which is basically a 8w3v3 or I may go with a sundown Audio E-8 V.5 paired with a sundown audio amp and build a nice compact box ( i want to retain as much cargo area as possible).

What are your recommendations? Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to stay under $150 a pair
I'd avoid the entry level premium brand stuff.  The 500-600$ JL components are great,  but whatever you'll get with the JL name on them for 100 isn't going to be a good value.

Personally I'm a big fan of JBL/Infinity lineup, Infinity in particular have always done well off of low power for me.  They likely still make some decent powered subwoofer options too.   IMO if you're not looking to spend a lot of money and get the premium gear it's not worth going for premium brand names.

I'd avoid the entry level premium brand stuff.  The 500-600$ JL components are great,  but whatever you'll get with the JL name on them for 100 isn't going to be a good value.

Personally I'm a big fan of JBL/Infinity lineup, Infinity in particular have always done well off of low power for me.  They likely still make some decent powered subwoofer options too.   IMO if you're not looking to spend a lot of money and get the premium gear it's not worth going for premium brand names.
I wasn't sure about the quality of premium brand entry level speakers so glad you had some experience. what are your thoughts on Alpine or Rockford Fosgate speakers? i feel like their more "premium" options cost about the same as entry level JL audio and Focal

I wasn't sure about the quality of premium brand entry level speakers so glad you had some experience. what are your thoughts on Alpine or Rockford Fosgate speakers? i feel like their more "premium" options cost about the same as entry level JL audio and Focal
Haven't auditioned any RF components but the Alpine type R sound great for their tier and Type X is certainly comparable with other offerings in their price range.   IMO Rockford is really an amp company, and the same applies.  Their top end amps are rock solid but their entry level amps have always been rather poor performers for their price tag.

Go to a shop that has a few in the board and listen for yourself.  The higher tier Focal and JL do sound excellent but I find for the price of entry level in those brands you'd do a lot better elsewhere.    It is of course very subjective too, best thing you can do is go out and audition some stuff in person.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.