Can I Split a 1/0 Gauge Power Wire into Two Different Gauges? 4 & 8??

Participant count
  • Participant list

dnorth2018

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have one amp that recommends using a 4 gauge power wire and ground (Alpine PDX-F4), and another smaller amp that i would prefer to use 8 gauge power wire on.

Can I split a 1/0 gauge power wire into a 4 gauge and an 8 gauge wire? If so can I use the 1/0 to 4 distribution block and just use a smaller 8 gauge wire in one of the output screw holes? Or how should I do it?

Also, will a large power wire like a 1/0 gauge cause more of a drain on the car's battery or alternator than a 4 or 8 gauge wire would? My current car has a weak factory alternator/battery setup, so I'm concerned about using the 1/0 gauge power wire for that reason.

And finally, is it really important to use the manufacturer's recommended 4 gauge power and ground wires on the Alpine PDX-F4, or would 8 gauge be fine?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. You can find D blocks with 4 and 8 gauge outputs. 

No larger wire will not cause more draw.

Pretty important to use the correct size wire. Don't want to draw too much amperage and cause a fire because the 8 gauge wire couldn't handle the amperage.

Thanks for the response, I should have searched for D blocks before posting. Looking now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.