Participant count
  • Participants list

picniick

CarAudio.com Newbie
So here we go. Bought this 8w7-Ae from someone who claims it is brand new and never used. I didn’t realize anything shady when we meet with his positive attitude and all the excitement. This is my first time ever seeing a W7 in person and it just seems weird, weird enough to create an account and start asking questions... 

Let me start off by saying that the top and center seem to be real. The Logo, Foam, and Voice Coil seem like factory condition but what do I know. The foam has some creases and a hole the size of a finger nail, like it was punctured. Will this have any long term performance effects ? 

The main reason I am posting this is because the magnet does not look right to me. All the pictures have a huge bulky deep black magnet. Nothing like my pictures, They look worn down and glued. Literally looks like someone slapped two small ass magnets together and glued it. The “serial number“ says it was made in 2014. I read online the older models can be different. Could this be the case? The internet is no help I can’t find ****. There is nothing about w7’s anywhere, I have been looking for days... so can anyone help me? Ask me questions if you have to. I just want to get to the bottom of this.

So please help with the following,

1.) Will a finger nail size hole effect anything or eventually start ripping? Along with the creases?? 

2.) How does the speakers top and internals look to you? 

3.) Does the magnet seem legit for its age ? 

71A8144B-B29D-4BC2-B31B-B9230B9781C5.jpeg

B6FB26B7-D2BC-41D1-A1B0-0D2B9FB1B3D7.jpeg

3FAD2B12-A0A2-4F1C-94D2-7AD0619E2726.jpeg

F6FE031D-B07E-47BE-92BA-B0675A1458C2.jpeg

FE3E6F51-833C-40D4-985E-6FF6CC6DF863.jpeg

79B41200-DFC1-4EFF-8F65-0D69B7AD7CA3.jpeg

5D5F0702-EF90-4818-A67E-07AA5EC47284.jpeg

17F701CA-49D8-46F5-A9FD-669D996B5E4D.jpeg

99E29257-706D-4D5A-A977-D2D7A371D434.jpeg

0AFB1D8C-369D-45E6-A83D-48BBEF001765.jpeg

I’ve owned a ton of JL Audio including w7’s and I could be wrong but looks legit to me. JL doesn’t put magnet boots on subs they sell in factory enclosures for some reason. 

Ok wow ? ,there are magnet boots? So all the W7’s I’ve seen in pictures have rubber around the magnet this whole time? My guess is so they don’t chip? Well that would make sense given I’ve never seen one in person. Ok so the magnets are smaller than I expected and could be paranoid because I dropped a couple hundred $$ on a subwoofer. I’ll call JL Audio to verify the serial Number for sure..

and seriously, thanks for the quick replies ! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grab a tube of Amazing Goop from Home Depot and apply it to the inside of the surround over that tear. That tear will open up more over time and will leak air pressure causing a loss in output and maybe a slight audible whistling noise. 

Grab a tube of Amazing Goop from Home Depot and apply it to the inside of the surround over that tear. That tear will open up more over time and will leak air pressure causing a loss in output and maybe a slight audible whistling noise. 
Ok I see. I’ll be sure to get some Goop and put it Inside the foam to seal the tear/creases for a clean finish before putting this in my car. Thanks for the advice and Info! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks legit.  Magnets look like that (one of the reason a lot of companies put boots on them).  Do get some goop on the surround and keep an eye on it, add a little more as needed.  That's not a terrible place for the surround to be cracking, you can keep that alive for a good long time with DIY band-aids. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.