Going active?

Participant count
  • Participants list

gordos420
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
What do I need to do to go active? Right now I have Polk Audio DB6501 mid range with NVX VSPTW Tweeters and a Kenwood DDX375BT as my head unit. I also have some Kicker 6.5's in the rear doors and Alpine 6x9's. Most of this stuff has been used from previous builds so thats why its a bunch of mix and match brands. I tried searching on here and youtubing this topic but don't get the exact input I'm looking for. Any help will be appreciated. 

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuJvT--6W3gIVDbCzCh1cegyHEAAYASAAEgIMYvD_BwE

You could sell buy a used 80prs for that though. But depending on your goals an 80prs could be a better option or even one of the Pioneer 3 way active double dins.
I won't sell but that DSP seems great. Still watching some youtube videos to get a better understanding of it but I have a question about powering the tweeters. They are supposed to have a 40 rms rating. How should I power them?

... Still watching some youtube videos to get a better understanding of it...
Basically being active means YOU control exactly what frequencies go to each speaker. You have FULL control of the sound that each speaker reproduces. Each speaker can have its own dedicated amplifier channel. Usually you will also be able to move the sound so that your head is in the center of the stereo signal as apposed to being off to the left side typically which will make the music sound much better. Furthermore you should be able to equalize each channel or depending on the DSP type, eq each speaker individually thus elevating the quality of sound even further. As a bonus you can swap out speakers and by using the DSP you can tweak until your heart is content and you find the ideal mix of speaker brands for you.

You will not need anywhere near that much power to the tweeters, but they will need to be ran off of an amp channel. 
Would I just be able to use the amp's crossover for the mids and tweeters? Run the tweeters off the front channels and set the crossover to 3500 and run the mids on the rear channels and set the crossover to 100 and set the gains using a dmm? Would that work? I'm trying to figure out my options 

Would I just be able to use the amp's crossover for the mids and tweeters? Run the tweeters off the front channels and set the crossover to 3500 and run the mids on the rear channels and set the crossover to 100 and set the gains using a dmm? Would that work? I'm trying to figure out my options 
It is an option for sure... yes you could do that if your amplifiers crossovers give you the option of crossing your tweeters over that high. Just remember, a DSP will give you leaps and bounds more control.

You would need controls like my Alpine F545 amp... or similar.

IMAG0768.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.