Dual Voice Coil Question

penguinspike

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm in the process of designing my first sound system and like most people I have a question.  Let's say you have a Dual Voice Coil (4 ohm per coil) sub that is rated at 600 watt RMS, is that 600 watt RMS the total for both coils or each coil?  Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it when I was searching for it.

Penguinspike

Ok, so if I wire the speaker parallel, it will create a 2 ohm load on the amp.  So in theory I should match the amp to the sub at 2 ohm at 600 RMS, correct?  

I'm not sure what gear to get.  I'm changing out my entire system, the head unit, all the door speakers, and going to install a single sub and amp.  I'm looking for something that is budget friendly.  I'm not looking to rattle the neighborhood, just want some nice bass.  I have a hatchback, so space is pretty limited.  I was thinking about an 8 inch or 10 inch sub in a custom made fiberglass enclosure. 

Ok, so if I wire the speaker parallel, it will create a 2 ohm load on the amp.  So in theory I should match the amp to the sub at 2 ohm at 600 RMS, correct?  
Yes, but if you haven't selected an amp yet you might hold off on buying a sub to match impedance to whatever the amp likes.   There's been a couple solid budget 600-800W amps discussed here recently that should do great.

Also "budget" and fiberglass shouldn't be in the same sentence.  It is very expensive to do it right and also very time consuming and requires a fair bit of patience. (sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, paint, sand, paint, wet sand, paint.....)  At least if you want it to look like the stuff you'd see in a magazine.  It's like proper bodywork to get that mirror finish and assuming you're a novice with fiberglass and aren't working off a mold you might even add some more bondo/sand steps to get it really clean before you even touch the paint. 

It will not be anything like in a magazine.  I was planning on getting it formed and fairly smooth, then just covering it in a fabric that matched my interior. 

It will not be anything like in a magazine.  I was planning on getting it formed and fairly smooth, then just covering it in a fabric that matched my interior. 
It will still take a lot of material to build it thick enough to not flex and even under carpet you'll want to get it relatively smooth which will take some doing.   Not to discourage you, but don't expect it to be cheap and be ready to invest a lot of time into it.

I know, I've worked with fiberglass before it *****.  My enclosure options are either:  

1. custom make one out of fiberglass to fit in a certain crevasse in my car

2. cut out part of the factory plastic trim and try to build a wooden box to fit it

3. just build a small wooden box and give up some storage space

4. I know that certain models of my car came with the monsoon system, which included a 6.5" sub, so try to find one of those and graft it into my car.  The enclosure for that sub was plastic though.

I know, I've worked with fiberglass before it *****.  My enclosure options are either:  

1. custom make one out of fiberglass to fit in a certain crevasse in my car

2. cut out part of the factory plastic trim and try to build a wooden box to fit it

3. just build a small wooden box and give up some storage space

4. I know that certain models of my car came with the monsoon system, which included a 6.5" sub, so try to find one of those and graft it into my car.  The enclosure for that sub was plastic though.
You still havent mentioned what type of vehicle. Being a Monsoon system Im guessing a Ford type vehicle.What audio gear do you have now? Some of it may be used quite nicely to save some funds for other gear as well. I still use an older Eclipse Hu quite a bit and swap out old amplifiers depending on what I want in that certain vehicle and utilize other funds else where.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.