Ported or sealed box?

Participant count
  • Participants list
You'd want a bit more power than needed for headroom especially with rock music.  You wont see any audible differences going 1" instead of 3/4, Those kickers do not produce the amount of sound pressure needed to warrant extra strong reinforcement. If you dont know how to design a proper ported, go sealed. Or if you are willing to learn or have someone do a design for you, then definitely go ported. A bit smaller and medium low tuned is decent for rock music.

You'd want a bit more power than needed for headroom especially with rock music.  You wont see any audible differences going 1" instead of 3/4, Those kickers do not produce the amount of sound pressure needed to warrant extra strong reinforcement. If you dont know how to design a proper ported, go sealed. Or if you are willing to learn or have someone do a design for you, then definitely go ported. A bit smaller and medium low tuned is decent for rock music.
In the manual there is a recommend design for ported

youtube how to use WinISD
Does the box volume not include the volume of the vent in WinISD? I can't find the answer anywhere else.

Say I had a 2ft^3 box and my vent is 2x10x20 (0.23ft^3) (pretend the vent walls are paper thin for simplicity) the total internal volume of the box would have to be 2.23ft^3, or does it include the vent?

youtube how to use WinISD
After messing around this is what I got (Red) over recommended (Black). Should I try and move the dB bump to the left or right?

dB.PNG

Air Velocity.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the box volume not include the volume of the vent in WinISD? I can't find the answer anywhere else.

Say I had a 2ft^3 box and my vent is 2x10x20 (0.23ft^3) (pretend the vent walls are paper thin for simplicity) the total internal volume of the box would have to be 2.23ft^3, or does it include the vent?
In the design you need to add the vent afterwards. The internal volume will be much higher. So you want to design the box to get a 2 cubic feet net volume first after accounting for bracing and subwoofer displacement then add on the port afterwards for proper tuning.

In the design you need to add the vent afterwards. The internal volume will be much higher. So you want to design the box to get a 2 cubic feet net volume first after accounting for bracing and subwoofer displacement then add on the port afterwards for proper tuning.
So the volume of the box on WinISD is 2 cubic feet and I would need to compensate for the size of the sub, braces, and port to get a box size closer two 3 cubic feet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.