Joel114

Ported or sealed box?

I am wondering if I should make a ported or sealed sub box? I would be getting one or two 10" Kicker CompVR and I mostly listen to rock music. I would also be basing my amp off the recommended power so power is not an issue.

Manual for sub

Also would using 1" MDF be better that 3/4" for the outside of the box?

You'd want a bit more power than needed for headroom especially with rock music.  You wont see any audible differences going 1" instead of 3/4, Those kickers do not produce the amount of sound pressure needed to warrant extra strong reinforcement. If you dont know how to design a proper ported, go sealed. Or if you are willing to learn or have someone do a design for you, then definitely go ported. A bit smaller and medium low tuned is decent for rock music.

• Like 1

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

50 minutes ago, Jeffdachef said:

You'd want a bit more power than needed for headroom especially with rock music.  You wont see any audible differences going 1" instead of 3/4, Those kickers do not produce the amount of sound pressure needed to warrant extra strong reinforcement. If you dont know how to design a proper ported, go sealed. Or if you are willing to learn or have someone do a design for you, then definitely go ported. A bit smaller and medium low tuned is decent for rock music.

In the manual there is a recommend design for ported

11 minutes ago, Joel114 said:

In the manual there is a recommend design for ported

youtube how to use WinISD

• Like 1

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

12 minutes ago, Jeffdachef said:

Before I get two deep into this is there another sub you would recommend around $100

1 hour ago, Jeffdachef said:

Does the box volume not include the volume of the vent in WinISD? I can't find the answer anywhere else.

Say I had a 2ft^3 box and my vent is 2x10x20 (0.23ft^3) (pretend the vent walls are paper thin for simplicity) the total internal volume of the box would have to be 2.23ft^3, or does it include the vent?

2 hours ago, Jeffdachef said:

After messing around this is what I got (Red) over recommended (Black). Should I try and move the dB bump to the left or right?

dB.PNG

Air Velocity.PNG

Edited by Joel114

15 hours ago, Joel114 said:

Does the box volume not include the volume of the vent in WinISD? I can't find the answer anywhere else.

Say I had a 2ft^3 box and my vent is 2x10x20 (0.23ft^3) (pretend the vent walls are paper thin for simplicity) the total internal volume of the box would have to be 2.23ft^3, or does it include the vent?

In the design you need to add the vent afterwards. The internal volume will be much higher. So you want to design the box to get a 2 cubic feet net volume first after accounting for bracing and subwoofer displacement then add on the port afterwards for proper tuning.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joel114 said:

After messing around this is what I got (Red) over recommended (Black). Should I try and move the dB bump to the left or right?

dB.PNG

Air Velocity.PNG

Red will be smoother overall and play deeper which will be better for a wider variety of genres. Black will hit a bit harder, less overall sound quality but definitely punchier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffdachef said:

In the design you need to add the vent afterwards. The internal volume will be much higher. So you want to design the box to get a 2 cubic feet net volume first after accounting for bracing and subwoofer displacement then add on the port afterwards for proper tuning.

So the volume of the box on WinISD is 2 cubic feet and I would need to compensate for the size of the sub, braces, and port to get a box size closer two 3 cubic feet.

On 10/20/2018 at 1:25 PM, Joel114 said:

So the volume of the box on WinISD is 2 cubic feet and I would need to compensate for the size of the sub, braces, and port to get a box size closer two 3 cubic feet.

yup basically.   If you want to skip all that, download torres box calculator, it includes all displacements in its formula for you.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now