Sign in to follow this  
Gmoney98

"Design Questions for 10" Sundown SA in awkward ported enclosure"

Hi, this is my first post on this forum and was hoping to get some help in designing my first ported sub enclosure. I have built boxes for subs before but I usually just followed the manufacturers suggested design, this time around I am in a tighter space so I have been stuck with the task of designing my own. The sub is going to go in the trunk of my 2013 WRX which has an unusual 2 level trunk(pictured below) that I am trying to save as much room as possible in. Sub will need to go on the upper level to the left of that little white box you can just barely see. I plan to make a false bottom that follows the angle down so that I can make the enclosure deeper. Dimensions available are about 24 inches wide 12.5 inches tall and 14 inches deep. I was hoping to be able to fit a sundown sa 12 but from what I read it would probably be better to go with 10" at this size of box if I want to stay ported(I do). I plan to power the sub initially with a polk d1000.1, because I have one laying around and should power the D2 version well at 1 ohm. I have been playing around with RE's box calculator and wanted to know what you guys thought of the design I have so far. I think I have the math right to where after displacements should net me about 1.25 cu ft @ ~33 hz. My real confusion lies with the more technical stuff like port length and size. I mostly listen to rap/hip-hop with some rock and folk mixed in.

I hope I have given enough information so that you guys can help me out :) Thanks ahead of time!

subenclosure.PNG

trunk.jpg

In case it isnt clear the false bottom will follow the angle down but not will not be apart of the box's internal chamber, it will be there only for the purpose of keeping the box stable and making it look cleaner than having an overhang.

That RE calculator is suspect I've heard... I've got no experience with it but people talk down on it. I've never wasted my time trying to use it.

JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 33.5hz 3.8ft3 ported, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ... or...

JVC KD-X350BTS, Kicker S10L72 1.75ft3 ported, Synergy 3K @ 1 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ...

5 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

That RE calculator is suspect I've heard... I've got no experience with it but people talk down on it. I've never wasted my time trying to use it.

Appreciate the reply, didn't know it had any issues saw someone on here recommending it and never thought twice. 

Someone on THIS forum recommended it?.. first ive heard of that advice. 

Imo Torres is the way to go, Once you've modeled it first.

Ultimate audio app works well too. But the RE calc is off I hear.

As far as that program goes... idk

JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 33.5hz 3.8ft3 ported, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ... or...

JVC KD-X350BTS, Kicker S10L72 1.75ft3 ported, Synergy 3K @ 1 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ...

I'm going to step in and say the RE Calc IS acceptable ONLY if you manually correct it after sub displacement.

If you don't correct for sub displacement, the tune will be off by as much as 3+hz depending on the size of the sub. The more displacment of the subs, the greater the difference. 

giphy.gif

As far as the RE calc goes I've never even checked.. Torres or the other I mentioned work great to rough-in something I've designed. Once sized and drawn I re-dimension the thing, subtract all displacements, re-dimension all port lengths and end-correct them if necessary before using Winisd for the final volume/tuning. That way it's as accurate as possible... like this...

sWDnvG.jpg

I just guess I go a little overboard when I design something.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this