Sign in to follow this  
Gmoney98

"Design Questions for 10" Sundown SA in awkward ported enclosure"

Hi, this is my first post on this forum and was hoping to get some help in designing my first ported sub enclosure. I have built boxes for subs before but I usually just followed the manufacturers suggested design, this time around I am in a tighter space so I have been stuck with the task of designing my own. The sub is going to go in the trunk of my 2013 WRX which has an unusual 2 level trunk(pictured below) that I am trying to save as much room as possible in. Sub will need to go on the upper level to the left of that little white box you can just barely see. I plan to make a false bottom that follows the angle down so that I can make the enclosure deeper. Dimensions available are about 24 inches wide 12.5 inches tall and 14 inches deep. I was hoping to be able to fit a sundown sa 12 but from what I read it would probably be better to go with 10" at this size of box if I want to stay ported(I do). I plan to power the sub initially with a polk d1000.1, because I have one laying around and should power the D2 version well at 1 ohm. I have been playing around with RE's box calculator and wanted to know what you guys thought of the design I have so far. I think I have the math right to where after displacements should net me about 1.25 cu ft @ ~33 hz. My real confusion lies with the more technical stuff like port length and size. I mostly listen to rap/hip-hop with some rock and folk mixed in.

I hope I have given enough information so that you guys can help me out :) Thanks ahead of time!

subenclosure.PNG

trunk.jpg

In case it isnt clear the false bottom will follow the angle down but not will not be apart of the box's internal chamber, it will be there only for the purpose of keeping the box stable and making it look cleaner than having an overhang.

That RE calculator is suspect I've heard... I've got no experience with it but people talk down on it. I've never wasted my time trying to use it.

JVC KD-X350BTS, RE Sx-18d4 9ft3 36.86hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

5 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

That RE calculator is suspect I've heard... I've got no experience with it but people talk down on it. I've never wasted my time trying to use it.

Appreciate the reply, didn't know it had any issues saw someone on here recommending it and never thought twice. 

Someone on THIS forum recommended it?.. first ive heard of that advice. 

Imo Torres is the way to go, Once you've modeled it first.

Ultimate audio app works well too. But the RE calc is off I hear.

As far as that program goes... idk

JVC KD-X350BTS, RE Sx-18d4 9ft3 36.86hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

I'm going to step in and say the RE Calc IS acceptable ONLY if you manually correct it after sub displacement.

If you don't correct for sub displacement, the tune will be off by as much as 3+hz depending on the size of the sub. The more displacment of the subs, the greater the difference. 

giphy.gif

As far as the RE calc goes I've never even checked.. Torres or the other I mentioned work great to rough-in something I've designed. Once sized and drawn I re-dimension the thing, subtract all displacements, re-dimension all port lengths and end-correct them if necessary before using Winisd for the final volume/tuning. That way it's as accurate as possible... like this...

sWDnvG.jpg

I just guess I go a little overboard when I design something.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crazzydan89
      View Listing 4 10 inch subs sundown planet audio
      I have 4 tens im trying to trade 2 sundown sd3 10 they are both blown and need a drop in recone kit the baskets magnets and termebals are fine 
      Also have 2 planet audio acd10s they work fine and are 3 weekss old and are invertes in the picture 

Im looking to trade all thiis for another subwoofer looking for a 12 or 15 just one but shoot me any offers 
      Advertiser Crazzydan89 Date 03/14/2019 Price $120.00 Category Wanting to Buy/Wanting to Trade  
    • By Crazzydan89
      I have 4 tens im trying to trade 2 sundown sd3 10 they are both blown and need a drop in recone kit the baskets magnets and termebals are fine 
      Also have 2 planet audio acd10s they work fine and are 3 weekss old and are invertes in the picture 

Im looking to trade all thiis for another subwoofer looking for a 12 or 15 just one but shoot me any offers 
    • By carolina_stig
      So I got some money together and a better job. I want something where I look at it, I can say “this mf is bulletproof” I’m going to have a friend build me a sealed box. 
      I am not sure if I want two 12s or two 15s or one 12 or one 15. Which setup should I choose? Is having two subs better than one? I know one sub with more surface area and more watts will be better than let’s say 2 subs with half the surface area and half the watts. But there is so much I want, but I can’t choose a setup. So here I am coming to you guys for some help! Thank you! 
    • By BassLord808
      What's good? New here, but I'm no rookie to the Bass scene. I've been a Bass-Head since the days of Pyle and EV. I fell out of the game for a few years, but I have always spectated on Youtube to see other builds and try to take note of new designs and products. I'm am more than ready to get back into the game, it's been calling me. I see these brutal, hair-trick, spl vehicles on the Tube and I just feel like I'm missing out. I will be purchasing a Sundown X-15 V.2 D2 in two days and I have run into so many promising amplifier choices, I have seen dozens of Dyno tests on almost every amplifier on the market, and I'm just stuck lol. Never had a problem deciding on an amp before, but I want to do it right this time and I need opinions. Now, before I touch anything in my 2008 G5, I'm going to attack my electrical system from front to back, the biggest, purest, OFC wire I can run, will be running throughout. I even got my eye on some welding cable ( I'm serious) I don't want even a grain of voltage drop. I just found an installer that owns a shop blocks away from me and he knows his stuff I mean he breathes the stuff and does pro work. I've seen his box builds and he gets down. That's going to be a big help to get me back started. He'll be building my enclosure for my Sundown when I get it. I've looked at a lot of amps, everything from, Orion, Skar, DC Audio, Soundstream, Crescendo, Sundown, Deaf Bonce, and many others. My thing is, I haven't heard any of these products in person. I've seen reviews, I've seen the video, but I haven't heard any of these in person sadly, but I know a lot of you guys have. Taramps are even getting my attention, but it's something weird about an amp so small that puts out so much power, how they store big enough components inside those Taramps to support the current and heat is beyond me, but I see them in a lot of competition builds. I'm looking for something in the 3k - 5k RMS range. I know the Sundown X-15 is rated 1500 watts RMS, but I like to leave headroom for box rise and other adjustments, plus, we all know Sundown subs can handle almost three times it's rated RMS. I'm very mindful of my gains and levels also and I will have all levels professionally tuned and adjusted before any serious demos take place. I'm going to get a few secondary XS Power batteries to run whatever amp I get, just to see what it does and if I get even a whisper of voltage drop I'm going to slap a Mechman on it. I'm going to get one in the long run anyway so. Any experienced suggestions on a nice professional amp will be highly appreciated. Going to pick up a Pioneer DEH-80PRS this week also that way I can start off with a clean 5 volt signal to the amp. This is just my back in the game set-up. I'm looking for a used Tahoe or similar that I can build a wall in but one thing at a time. I'm going to do it right this time, pics, videos and updates coming soon.

• By Alejandro17
      Truck Photos and Enclosure
      Headrest Solution for Seat Lift
      Inspiration
      Please view the photos and video before reading:) Essentially I will custom build my own box and get it as close to the reference photos as possible. Using a router, a rasp set, and some basic sanding. Four 8" subs firing forward is what I'm going for. I needed to customize some headrests for my vehicle as the OEM were far too big. Now I am free to purchase a seat lift to get that extra room. My final impedance will be 2 ohms. Also, my vehicle already has the stock 6 speakers which I am upgrading very soon. In addition, there is NO transmission hump in the back which will give me a clean look not to mention more airspace. The seat lift is 2.5 inches. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS!
      A.Which should I go with?
      NEW
      8 inch EV3 Series DISCONTINUED
      8 inch EV2 Series SA-8 v.2 SERIES B.Single port on the front centered, or one on either side?
      C.1,200 watt amplifier or 1,500?
      I will keep everyone updated on the project:)