Calculating Port Size

Participant count
  • Participants list

LACDPN

I want to build a simple box for 1 8" CT Sounds Meso.  My internal volume based on available dimensions (minus sub displacement of .08) is .895 cubic feet.  If I use a 3" round port with a tuning of 35hz and .895 cubic feet my port length should be 15.18" per the 12 volt port length calculator, does this sound correct?  Any other variables I need to be aware of, and is 35hz an all around decent tune (hip hop and old school mainly)?  I will be pushing 1200-1500 watts to the sub.

15.18 is correct, to make it easier I round to the nearest quarter inch. Add an inch if you are using a true aero port with flared ends. 35hz should be good for old school hip hop, you could go down to 33hz if you have the space for the extra port length. 

15.18 is correct, to make it easier I round to the nearest quarter inch. Add an inch if you are using a true aero port with flared ends. 35hz should be good for old school hip hop, you could go down to 33hz if you have the space for the extra port length. 
Perfect, thanks for confirming, this is my first time building a ported box just want to make sure I have my specs correct. Box will be 32” wide so I have the extra room I think I will go a bit lower.

Perfect, thanks for confirming, this is my first time building a ported box just want to make sure I have my specs correct. Box will be 32” wide so I have the extra room I think I will go a bit lower.
I would go with the lower tune if you have the room to fit the longer port. 33hz is a good all around daily tune that works well in most vehicles. If you have the space you could use a 90degree elbow and mount the sub and port on the same face of the box. 

I would go with the lower tune if you have the room to fit the longer port. 33hz is a good all around daily tune that works well in most vehicles. If you have the space you could use a 90degree elbow and mount the sub and port on the same face of the box. 
Would that be an improvement in output if I configured it that way? The box will be in my trunk behind the back seat but will have a wall in front of it separating the box from the rest of the trunk to mount the amps. 

Would that be an improvement in output if I configured it that way? The box will be in my trunk behind the back seat but will have a wall in front of it separating the box from the rest of the trunk to mount the amps. 
Imo 35hz sounds boomier but is usually a hair louder, like a small gain you would only see numerically on a meter, by ear it would be 50/50 whether or not it sounds louder. 33hz would give you a wider spectrum and won't sound as boomy. 

Imo 35hz sounds boomier but is usually a hair louder, like a small gain you would only see numerically on a meter, by ear it would be 50/50 whether or not it sounds louder. 33hz would give you a wider spectrum and won't sound as boomy. 
Oh yeah I was talking about the port being on the same side as the sub like you mentioned does it matter where it faces?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.