System for a 2016 Lincoln MKZ

Participant count
  • Participants list

xcaliber501

Hello all, Been a lurker here for a while but I have finally decided to take the plunge and try building a system of my own. This will be a first time build for me so I have a lot to learn. For starters I have a 2016 Lincoln MKZ with a 3.7L V6. It has the base sound system which means no THX processing. It also has the MyLinciln Touch navigation head unit. This is a 11 speakers system with 1 speaker in the dash, a mid-range and a tweeter is each of the 4 doors and 2 6x9 woofers in the rear deck. The door speakers are 4 oHm and the rear deck ones are 2oHm.

I talked to a salesman at Crutchfield and he suggested these components;

* Front and rear doors: Focal ISS 130 (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ISS130/Focal-Integration-ISS-130.html)

* Rear Deck:  PowerBass L2-67 (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_151L2675/PowerBass-L2-675.html)

* Amp: JL Audio XD600/6v2 (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13698605/JL-Audio-XD600-6v2.html)

* Sub: JL Audio 10W3v3 (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610W3V32/JL-Audio-10W3v3-2.html)

I plan on keeping the OEM head unit.

So, any thoughts on this system?

What about the 2 rear deck speakers, Aren't they redundant since I plan on adding a 10 sub anyways?

Is anyone familer with this Ford system? I imagine the Ford Fusion system is similar. Are there any issues with tapping into the OEM electronics? I do know the car has a OEM amp I plan on disconnecting. I hope I can do this without effecting any of the other functions of the car.

Anyways, any hep I can get would be very appreciated. Thanks

id run 1 sub and 1 component set.  take everything else out.  more speakers usually just screw up the sound quality and removing the rear dash speakers lets the bass from the sub vent into the cabin

max budget?

id run 1 sub and 1 component set.  take everything else out.  more speakers usually just screw up the sound quality and removing the rear dash speakers lets the bass from the sub vent into the cabin

max budget?
Hi, It is interesting you think I should only have components in the front doors. There are already speakers in the rear doors. I would just be upgrading from the OEM to high quality speakers. I would think I should put something there if only for back fill purposes. I agree that the rear deck speakers don't really add much and would be redundant if I go ahead and install a 10" in the trunk. So could skip those.

As far as budget, well, the Focal Components are $140 a pair. The 10" JL sub is about $270. I figure about $500 for the amp. Not sure about a box yet, if I have someone do a custom one for me it'll be about $250-300, or I could look into building one myself. So I'd like to have the entire project done for under $1,500.

If i decide to skip the amp & sub I should be out the door for about $350.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice from nauc! Remove the 6x9’s, cut wires to rear door speakers and center in front, replace front components with a higher end set, add sub, box, and amp.

If you go active with a dsp, you can use raw drivers, which will sound better than those Focals. The amp and sub were solid recommendations.

Get one high end set of comps, sub, amp, and dsp, and you will never know those rear speakers are missing, nor will you care. Find somewhere to listen to someone’s car that is done correctly, and you will understand why you are getting the answers you are getting.

Before you buy one piece of aftermarket equipment, you need to read a diyma thread - sound deadener showdown by Chris Purdue. Since you seem to be on a pretty small budget, I would recommend buying Noico 80 mil sound deadener on eBay, about 72 square feet, and 2 Soundskin door kits. Install all of that, and see how much your stock system has improved.

Then I would buy the amp suggested, install it, and see how much improvement that makes. Now, upgrade your front components. I would then buy the Dayton 408 dsp and either learn to use all its functions, or have an experienced tuner tune your car. If you want more, then do your sub/box or go trunk baffle, firing through the 6x9 holes. If you do things in this order, you will see what each piece does to make your whole system sound better, you can save for better pieces in between steps, plus you should never be without tunes for more then a few hours at a time, versus trying to gather equipment and do a month-long install with your car torn apart the whole time. Just my .02

Take pics along the way, and let us know how your build progresses!

PS- There is no way that you are getting this done for $350, unless you just upgrade speakers with other junk speakers. You should spend around that amount on deadening your whole car, plus you have to figure in the kit to keep OEM HU functioning correctly, fuses, distro box, power and speaker wire, rca’s, connectors, etc... It adds up very quickly, which is why I recommended doing it in steps.

Hey all. Thanks for the info. Here is an update. I went down to a local shop just to see what they would offer for installing a system for me. I came away impressed. Here is nwhat he recommended.

In the Front and rear doors he suggested: Rockford Fosgate R1650-S Components (https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/t1650-s/) $299 a pr

He recommended keeping the same model speaker on the front as the rears.

No speakers in the rear deck

Amp would be a Rockford Fosgate R250x4 (https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r250x4/) $350

For the sub he pointed me to a 12" all-in-one combo of a  sub/amp/box. $350

So system installed out the door. $1378 plus tax

The obvious weak spot is that all in one sub/box deal. I know those are never ideal. But at the price range I am at and the fact I don't really want that much boom anyways. I don't think I can do much better, That's right my the sweet spot of what I want to spend. Any thoughts?

Are they sound treating your car for this price? For $600 in components, you can do waaaay better than Rok-Fos. I don’t understand why you asked any questions from this group... Good luck man!

I'm asking question because I don't know. I don't know I good brand from a bad. I have heard of them before, I thought they made decent amps. That's about the extent of it.

Thanks for your thought regardless.

If this is the route you are going, do yourself a favor. Tell him to keep your stock speakers in the rear doors, and use that $300 to properly sound deaden your car while they have it apart. If that’s the only advice you are going to use from anyone besides the guy selling you equipment, then that’s the advice you should probably take...

If this is the route you are going, do yourself a favor. Tell him to keep your stock speakers in the rear doors, and use that $300 to properly sound deaden your car while they have it apart. If that’s the only advice you are going to use from anyone besides the guy selling you equipment, then that’s the advice you should probably take...
I am pretty adamant on replacing the OEM speakers in the rear doors. If I add more power to those OEM speakers they will just blow. If I don't put anything back there then anyone that sits in back wont get any sound. It'll all be coming from front. I have always beloive you need some sort of fill on a large space like my sedan has. It just feels right to me.

But I do like your idea of adding sound deadening. So I decided to give the installer a $150 budget for sound deadening. It won't get to everywhere or be perfect, but he did say he can do a pretty decent job with that budget. I think it will do for my purposes. I also went with a better amp and decided against the sub/box. Then i'll see how I like it. If down the road I want more bass I can always add it or get a custom one done. But to be honest, at this stage of my life, having a lot of bass does not appeal to me all that much. I just want good clean sound.

Thanks again for you adivce and suggestions. Even if I don't follow them to the letter I still consider everything before making a decision.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.