Wiring Questions for Audison 5.1k

Participant count
  • Participant list

91RS

CarAudio.com Newbie
I just bought an Audison 5.1k and I have two questions about the wiring.

The owners manual says it can take 2 gauge cables but 2 gauge isn't very popular, it's either 0/1 or 4. Since my battery is in the trunk and my cables might be 5 ft. long at the most, the chart Crutchfield has on their web site says I can use 4 gauge. Does that seem reasonable since it's such a short run? I have a bunch of Monster Cable 4 gauge already so that would be great if I didn't have to buy any more cable.

My other question is that this amplifier has a provision for a capacitor. The owners manual (unless I missed it) doesn't say that it is required. I was always under the impression that if a capacitor is needed then the electrical system of the vehicle isn't up to the task. I haven't noticed any issues with my current amplifier (DD D5.1000). Should I be ok without it?

Thanks.

Gauge-Chart.jpg

i ask because if the alt is up front like in audis that have rear mounted batteries, youre likely going to be well served running a larger cable from the alt to the rear mounted battery and from there, you should run the 0 gauge as close as possible to the amp if you plan on running a smaller gauge to the amp from like a distro block or something. But you should run the thickest cable to can as far to the amp as you can

also you should put your stuff in your signature to help us help you and also eliminated the need for us asking and you answering the same questions over and over lol

It's a 2016 Chevy SS.  The generator is in the front.  The factory cable from the front to back is quite large, I'm not sure what gauge exactly but it looks larger than 1/0.  I didn't get a reply notification to this thread so I already ordered some KnuKonceptz 1/0 guage wire last night.  I figured if it won't fit in the amplifier then I will just shave off some strands since there is almost nothing out there for 2 gauge and the price was about the same and then there is other stuff widely available also like the fuse holder and ring terminals.  I plan on running redundant wires from the generator to positive junction under the hood, engine block to chassis, and battery to chassis using the 4 gauge I already have to further boost the electrical a bit.

I saw those and didn't figure there was much difference but I kinda thought it was a little bit of a safety issue to have the positive hanging out in the opening where if something bumped it that it would be short to ground.  Honestly, the 1/0 will probably fit depending on how oversized Knu's 1/0 is so I'm hoping I don't need to do anything to it.  There was a good bit of room in the terminal around the 4 gauge Monster brand cable that I already had in the car.

Got my wire yesterday and it is definitely huge, probably not going to fit in the amplifier.  I wish I had bought the non-oversized welding wire now but I wanted to just get everything from one place... So much for that.  I also didn't think about what I was going to use to crimp the ring terminals on the cables so now I need to get something to do that, it looks like the hydraulic crimper or hammer crimper are the most popular options.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.