Warning this question will probably sound extremely dumb.

So in short, if I have an OEM headunit and i use a line level converter to output to rca and then used a rca to aux 3.5mm adapter. Could I use that output for an aux input on another headunit? Thanks.

Edited by dmannman

I see no problem with this so long as you are not feeding a ton of voltage through the RCAs directly into the AUX of another headunit. Keep in mind they are designed for phones and stuff, not to be fed directly off an amp or another headunit, I'm not an expert, but I believe it could be a factor. The problem here is that you aren't changing anything about the signal. I assume you want an aftermarket headunit because your stock one has some kind of bass rolloff or weird EQ, or is lacking features like bluetooth? You would have more adjustability with an aftermarket unit, but it's not going to sound any better with this setup if the input signal is from the stock unit. If you already plan on having 2 headunits for some reason, why not just run the second one entirely separate?

Edited by Evankiller

It would help if you specify what your reason/end goal is for this setup. I'm sure there's a better way to do it. 

1 minute ago, Evankiller said:

I see no problem with this so long as you are not feeding a ton of voltage through the RCAs directly into the AUX of another headunit. Keep in mind they are designed for phones and stuff, not to be fed directly off an amp or another headunit, I'm not an expert, but I believe it could be a factor. The problem here is that you aren't changing anything about the signal. I assume you want an aftermarket headunit because your stock one has some kind of bass rolloff or weird EQ, or is lacking features like bluetooth? You would have more adjustability with an aftermarket unit, but it's not going to sound any better with this setup if the input signal is from the stock unit. If you already plan on having 2 headunits for some reason, why not just run the second one entirely separate?

So what i plan on doing is putting in 4 new door speakers and my subs. I have already figured out how to run the rest of the system off the aftermarket stereo aswell. The problem i had is i wanted to keep the original headunit design aswell as steering wheel controls and others. I would just swap the headunit out as im already running new wires to everything but i dont have the money to buy a new faceplate for the aftermarket HU as the temp controls and all that kind of stuff are one piece. Step by step what i am going to do is run the two headunits wires parallel to each other besides the speaker wires. I will have the oem headunit output to the aftermarket HU and then the aftermarket to the amps. By doing it this way i hope to be able to hide the aftermarket HU with all settings/volume set and just use the oem as normal. Im definitely open to suggestions as i know this is probably not the best way but this was just what i came up with in my head at 1:30 in the morning ?

Just get a DSP. Way easier and cheaper and the MUCH better option.

The new Dayton is only 150 bucks.

TaylorFail
Taylorfail, v.2
tailorFail v.3
TaylorFail v.4
TaylorWin v.1?

5 minutes ago, TaylorFade said:

Just get a DSP. Way easier and cheaper and the MUCH better option.

The new Dayton is only 150 bucks.

Was thinking about a DSP but wasn't sure how to incorporate 4 more speakers/2 tweeters, and a sub into the oem 9 channel setup without an aftermarket HU.

10 minutes ago, dmannman said:

Was thinking about a DSP but wasn't sure how to incorporate 4 more speakers/2 tweeters, and a sub into the oem 9 channel setup without an aftermarket HU.

Lose some. You don't need that many channels.

If you MUST have that many speakers, some of them can share a channel. 

TaylorFail
Taylorfail, v.2
tailorFail v.3
TaylorFail v.4
TaylorWin v.1?

2 minutes ago, TaylorFade said:

Lose some. You don't need that many channels.

If you MUST have that many speakers, some of them can share a channel. 

Yea you're probably right, i knew my way was messy and there had to be another option. Thanks for the advise.:thumbsup:

Get an LC7i, that's plenty for your setup. The whole second headunit thing like I said, is pointless. Like TaylorFade said, there's no need for 9 channels, and if you feel so inclined, get another LC7i and hook it up. Then you don't need to cut or modify the stock harness in any way. Just buy speaker adapters from Metra for your car, and run wires from those to the LC7i in the trunk and back. It's a lot of work no doubt, but it's definitely more reasonable. Look on the used market for one, they go for like $50 used all the time. Also, you can keep steering wheel controls with 99% of decent aftermarket headunits.

1 hour ago, Evankiller said:

Get an LC7i, that's plenty for your setup. The whole second headunit thing like I said, is pointless. Like TaylorFade said, there's no need for 9 channels, and if you feel so inclined, get another LC7i and hook it up. Then you don't need to cut or modify the stock harness in any way. Just buy speaker adapters from Metra for your car, and run wires from those to the LC7i in the trunk and back. It's a lot of work no doubt, but it's definitely more reasonable. Look on the used market for one, they go for like $50 used all the time. Also, you can keep steering wheel controls with 99% of decent aftermarket headunits.

I mainly didnt want to switch headunits because i would need a new dashplate for my car and because it has temp controls on it, it cost like $250-$300 and then i would still the cable to retain steering controls. Thanks for the advise on the LC7i, havent heard much about it and will definitely check it out.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ggieo
      So I have a somewhat crappy aftermarket head unit (Boss 460BRGB) so that if my car is broken into and it is stolen it wont be too bad a hit. Anyways I recently installed a Hifonics Zeus ZXX-1000.4 amp for my 4 kenwood 6x9 speakers. The two door 6x9s are rated at 115w rms at 4 ohm and the rear 6x9s are rated at 45w rms at 4 ohm. The amp is able to deliver 125w at 4 ohm x4. I have the amp set at a low voltage until I am able to correctly set it. The amp is connected to the head unit through 2 sets of rca cables. For some reason when I turn the head unit past half way the speakers start smelling and burning up. There is no possible way the amp is delivering more that 45w rms at that low a volume. Before I added the amp the head unit by its self was able to hit 115db with the same speakers. The head unit can supposedly output 18w rms x4.  With the amp added the speakers start smelling at 110db. The only possible way I can figure this is if the head unit is delivering serious distortion through the rca output which is amplified by the amp and causes the speakers to rapidly heat up. This is quite annoying problem because I am now getting less out of the system with the additional amp and would prefer not to destroy my 6x9s. My question is do head units put distortion/ clipping into the rca outputs? Should I upgrade the head unit or upgrade the speakers to ones with higher rms rating?
    • By Matt81
      I am looking at buying a couple of rearview headrest DVD monitors for my car. Obviously these can connect to one another to play the same movie but is there a way to connect them to my head unit so I can play a movie from my head unit to the rearview monitors? I would also want to play movies from my micro SD card and USB from my head unit to the rearview monitors. Thanks.
    • By AspastIIcBean
      My list of gear as follows
      1x Boss mono block amp 2500w (old setup)
                  -twin pioneer champs Dvc 1200w 12"
      1x pioneer 4ch amp 1000w (60rms x4ch)
                   - 2x pioneer 6.5 260w (60w                                                 rms)component
                   - 2x pioneer 260w 6" (60w rms) coaxial
      Head deck : pioneer fxh755 bt (2 RCA out)
      Just wanted to know the best way to get the audio to the amps,
      1 RCA per amp?
      I've never delt with  4ch is just having 1 RCA going to give me full control or full quality on my 4ch. If I got 2 RCA splitters would that achieve anything useful?   
      Is high level worth using do I lose any quality compared to RCA? So out RCA into mono amp amd high level into 4ch amp?
      What's the best way about doing this. Is there any recommendations? I'm not wanting to spend too much money on this ?
    • By TheGDog
      During high-volume playback (meaning with volume at like 37, 38 or 39 out of 50) when I focused on a particular song for troubleshooting this issue (so I'd have a constant thing I could use to measure whether a new step I tried had a positive effect) the outpu of the highs+mids (aka the 4ch amp) just dims-out, fades down.

When this happens I can turn the volume back down to like maybe 34 and you can hear the highs+mids slowly start creeping back up until they return to what they should sound like.

It's not the gains. I tuned them individually (meaning 4ch amp was tuned with the SUB output set to ATTenuate so I could hear the 4ch amp playing solo). For the 4ch amp I tuned the gains to sound as high as they could before distorting with volume at like 38 with no eq settings whatsoever.

From what I understand and have figured out from reading a buttload of forums, this symptom sounds like an issue related to power delivery to the 4ch amp.

Because of this issue I decided to add a 2nd battery HC600 out back behind my rear seats near the amps.

It is also because of this issue that I did the Big 3 upgrade to 4 Gauge Monster Cable.

It is also because of this issue that I returned a JENSEN Power 760 and decided to go with a more name-brand amp instead thinking at first the JENSEN was more than likely the culprit since it's sort of a lesser brand.

It is because of this issue that I went back and also ran the 4 gauge ground wire in Parallel (as well as the power I initially did) from starter to 2nd battery per Kinetik's instructions.

This problem is annoying as all get-out!! Spent 2 hrs searching these forums. Did not find anything similar enough to my issue to give me some insight so posting my question.

DETAILS:
      =======
      2002 Ford Explorer SportTrac
      Stock Alternator (130 Amp)
      Big 3 done (w 4 gauge).
      Starter Battery = DuraLast Gold (Autozone less then year old)
      2nd Battery Kinetik HC600 (Wired in Parallel w 4 Guage with StarterBattery)
      4 Gauge off 2nd battery Pos+ to Non-fused Distribution Block
      2 (no name) short 4 Gauge pieces from Dist Block to both amps.
      4ch amp Grounded to 2nd Battery. (previously to chassis w same problem occuring)
      Mono amp Grounded to Rear Seat Bolt.

Headunit = Sony CDX GT630UI (Problem occurs CD or USB)
      4ch Amp = Pioneer D9500F (same symptoms w Jensen Power760 I tried before this)
      Mono Amp = HITRON HA.1000-1 (Has always played fine)

Most of the ring terminals involved are the nice Allen-wrench cinch kind (either Monster 300 series, of Stinger Gold-Plated) except for maybe 2 of the Big 3 wires (which are Monster 200 series crimps). All but one of the crimped connector (all done in table-vise) were also soldered rapidly via Propane Torch w same Flux I used for my Copper plumbing in recent bathroom remodel. I think Alternator Pos+ (not Monster 200 series) was the only one just crimped w/out solder and the connection to battery side is nice Allen-wrench kind.

NOTE: Finsihed Alternator Case to Frame chassis of Big 3 upgrade this evening. It seems my car idles a teeny bit higher/better now and I'd swear the lights look brighter. but the issue STILL happens with the 4ch amp output!!!

NOTE: Things that come to my mind to possibly try at this point are...:
      =====================================================
      - Perhaps NOT connect 4ch Ground to 2nd Battery Ground since Mono amp is not connected to 2nd Battery but connect to Rear Seat anchor bolt and seems to do fine.
      - I DO NOT have the speaker-wire to the 4 doors fully upgraded to thicker stuff. I only used aftermarket speaker-wire to connect from where I cut the wires.... to run back to amp.. then run back to the other side of where I cut the wire to then let the factory wire that was there feed the power into the speakers in the doors. The outpu of the 4ch Pioneer is CEA Compliant 75 W RMS per channel. Even with the skinny wire from factory is SHOULD be able to hang with this.. right? I mean... it does sound kick-*** for those 30-40 seconds where it's playing back the music at full-tilt volume.
      - Replace Starter Battery with an AGM battery of some kind? I was thinking Kinetik 1800 but since then I have read a thread where a gentleman with a 2003 Explorer said it was too tall and he couldn't close his hood.
      - Replace Mono amp with a Class D amp to draw less power perhaps?

Any insight, or thoughts on what to look at, test, or try next would be Greatly appreciated. Thanx.