Speaker issue, no mid-bass

Participant count
  • Participant list

rippedanddeaf64

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I recently had a system installed in my vehicle.  I went with two JLAudio 12W0v3-4 subs in a sealed box.  New Kenwood head unit, a 4ch. Alpine MRV-F300 amp and a mono Alpine MRV-M500 amp.  Kicker door speakers both front and rear doors.  The problem is the door speakers are really lacking in the mid-bass range.  Male vocals sound like they're singing at least 2 octaves higher.  I've tried adjusting the crossovers but can't really tell a difference.  The amplifier is pushing 50 watts per channel.  The speakers handle 100 watts RMS and I was told they are under powered and hence lacking in the mid-bass because of it.

I thought about having the doors treated with sound dampening to see if that makes a difference, or going with a different set of speakers that handle 50 watts RMS to better match the output of the amp.  If i can get this straightened out i'll have a pretty decent setup.  Right now it's just not balanced, all the bass is coming from the back.  I even turned off the output to the sub just to hear the speakers by themselves.  Not good.

IMG_20181006_141656676.jpg

IMG_20170408_105757990.jpg

Sounds like you may have a phase issue so here is a very easy way to test it. Disconnect your subs and play a song that you know to have decent midbass in it then simply fade to the left or right side. If the midbass returns then that is a tell tell sign that some of your speakers are wire out of phase with the other side. The fact that you are running 50wrms on a speaker designed to take 100wrms won't make a difference unless you were going for greater volume.

Hey mate,  sounds like your speakers could be out of phase.  Give that a test as per past members advice. 

Not sure if you have sound deadening, so that is definitely a must for good mid bass

Secondly, you may need to apply foam padding on the speaker face as per stock speaker as this also contributes to better mid-bass up front.  I done this to my aftermarket components as I took the foam padding from the stock speaker and glued it on around over the screw mounts so it fitted snugly around the speaker between the speaker door trim and the mid-bass driver itself.  Made a big difference but I also have sound deadening as well.

Let us know how you go mate! :)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.