Alpine Type X vs Type R 6.5" Component

fireplace369

Hi. I'm trying to decide between the Alpine Type X or Type R 6.5" component system for my car. I will also be getting the same model (whatever I choose) for just 6.5" co-axials for my rear deck as well. All 4 of the speakers will be powered off Alpine's new Type X 4 channel amp (the X-A70F).

Do the type X really sound that much better and are worth $200 more a pair than the type R's?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This big advantage to the type x components is the tweeters.

Are they worth more money that's up to you.

I personally wouldnt run rear speakers and would run whatever components I had active off individual channels of the amp with proper crossovers

Type R is a very nice sounding component set.  I haven't seen X in ages (in person) but they used to be very high end and I'd suspect they still are. 

Is the 30$ cigar 3X as good as the 10$ cigar?  Probably not but it's definitely better

Thank you for your responses. But mainly just do they sound THAT much better than the R's?

And yes I understand the choice is still opinionated.
I expect the difference between the S and R is much more dramatic than between R and X (mainly because the R is very nice for their class).  If you have the money, spring for the X.  Chances are you'll use them for 10 years or more, they'll hold decent re-sale value down the road, and you'll know you're working with top quality gear so if something still seems lacking you'll at least know that it's not your components.

That said, to really get the next level sound you'll need to do a lot of work (custom mounting locations/EQ/DSP) so if you're just going to drop these in stock locations R should be plenty adequate for sounding good leaving just build quality and re-sale value as the main reasons you'd opt for the upgrade into the Type X.    

Are any components "worth it"?  Still entirely subjective, but the ALPINE speaker lineup is all fairly priced to comparable quality products from other reputable brands.... so if you did want to spend 500$ on some components you'd do just as well with Alpine as any other similarly priced set from someone else.

"Type" S, R and X were replaced last year by the new S, R and X "Series". Changes were made to both the comps and subs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.