Sign in to follow this  
fireplace369

Alpine Type X vs Type R 6.5" Component

Hi. I'm trying to decide between the Alpine Type X or Type R 6.5" component system for my car. I will also be getting the same model (whatever I choose) for just 6.5" co-axials for my rear deck as well. All 4 of the speakers will be powered off Alpine's new Type X 4 channel amp (the X-A70F).

Do the type X really sound that much better and are worth $200 more a pair than the type R's?

Thank you.

Edited by fireplace369

This big advantage to the type x components is the tweeters.

Are they worth more money that's up to you.

I personally wouldnt run rear speakers and would run whatever components I had active off individual channels of the amp with proper crossovers

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4

Pioneer touch screen with front and rear cam

Memphis viv component run active

2 alpine pdr-m65

1 alpine pdr-f50

2 jl 13tw5-3 in subthump understeat box

Type R is a very nice sounding component set.  I haven't seen X in ages (in person) but they used to be very high end and I'd suspect they still are. 

Is the 30$ cigar 3X as good as the 10$ cigar?  Probably not but it's definitely better

Thank you for your responses. But mainly just do they sound THAT much better than the R's?

And yes I understand the choice is still opinionated.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:16 PM, hispls said:

Is the 30$ cigar 3X as good as the 10$ cigar?  Probably not but it's definitely better

this is a question for monica lewinski

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

On 10/16/2018 at 12:19 PM, fireplace369 said:

Thank you for your responses. But mainly just do they sound THAT much better than the R's?

And yes I understand the choice is still opinionated.

I expect the difference between the S and R is much more dramatic than between R and X (mainly because the R is very nice for their class).  If you have the money, spring for the X.  Chances are you'll use them for 10 years or more, they'll hold decent re-sale value down the road, and you'll know you're working with top quality gear so if something still seems lacking you'll at least know that it's not your components.

That said, to really get the next level sound you'll need to do a lot of work (custom mounting locations/EQ/DSP) so if you're just going to drop these in stock locations R should be plenty adequate for sounding good leaving just build quality and re-sale value as the main reasons you'd opt for the upgrade into the Type X.    

Are any components "worth it"?  Still entirely subjective, but the ALPINE speaker lineup is all fairly priced to comparable quality products from other reputable brands.... so if you did want to spend 500$ on some components you'd do just as well with Alpine as any other similarly priced set from someone else.

i keep seeing images of type x's both with and without a phase plug. looking at crutchfield, it seems that their offerings dont have one. did apline ditch the phase plug

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

"Type" S, R and X were replaced last year by the new S, R and X "Series". Changes were made to both the comps and subs. 

Edited by 2RZ-FE

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this