Ok So i Have a Suite Alpine system do I match it with an Alpine Headunit or go Kenwood

Participant count
  • Participant list

TSegreti

CarAudio.com Newbie
How critical is it to match the brand of amplifier and speakers you have with the headunit.

Alpine is just so expensive but i already have invested a set of 4 spr 100w rms speakers a

4x 100 rms amp the pdx-f4 and want to get a better head unit but alpine doesn't seem like the best fit for my needs will

I suffer loss of quality or synergy?

I've been around car audio for over 30 years.  It's not critical that you match all your components by brand, but know manufacturers build their product to work best with each other.  Sound quality is a very subjective thing, but in my experience Alpine source units have the best sound quality and user interface.  Yes, Alpine is expensive, but so are premium brands in every industry, like Apple versus HP.  

If you think an Alpine source unit isn't for you, ask yourself what you're looking for.  Make a list if you have to.  Kenwood has good sound quality and tons of features per dollar.  They're also very reliable.  I don't have much experience with Pioneer.  I know they're reliable and have great FM tuners. 

I recently switched from a Kenwood Excelon 893S to an Alpine iLX-207.  I had to turn my amplifier gains down a little bit even though Kenwood touted 5V RCA outputs to Alpine's 4.  Alpine's HD tuner is better too.

The PDX-4 and type R speakers are a great match.  I worked with the engineer who designed both.  

DON'T cut corners with your equipment.  Be patient and save up as long as you have to.  It's easy - you get what you pay for.

Good luck choosing your gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
TSegreti said:
How critical is it to match the brand of amplifier and speakers you have with the headunit.

Alpine is just so expensive but i already have invested a set of 4 spr 100w rms speakers a

4x 100 rms amp the pdx-f4 and want to get a better head unit but alpine doesn't seem like the best fit for my needs will

I suffer loss of quality or synergy?
it doesnt matter if you stick with the same brand in the slightest. Just make sure that the deck (headunit) has the features you need such as network mode (active crossovers), at least 13 bands of equalization if graphic or 5 to 7 if parametric, at least 4 volts pre out, time alignment etc etc

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.