My first 10" subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participants list

ddanko11

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I've built around ten boxes before and have designed many for my buddies they always were very musical and hit hard all around. (always had 15s) But I've built my first ported enclosure for a 10" skar vvx and It sounds goob except that it really lacks in the punch the really quick bursts of bass that really hit hard and on point. you can hear them but not loud like normal, the rumble really over powers them in this build, unlike others.

So I've built around ten boxes before and have designed many for my buddies they always were very musical and hit hard all around. (always had 15s) But I've built my first ported enclosure for a 10" skar vvx and It sounds goob except that it really lacks in the punch the really quick bursts of bass that really hit hard and on point. you can hear them but not loud like normal, the rumble really over powers them in this build, unlike others.
u have to give dimensions and port area and tuning maybe @shredder2 will look at it for u

If your using the Skar recommendations of 1.75ft3 net @ 34hz it probably will be less punchy and more peaky/bottom heavy. I'd try anywhere from 1-1.4 @ 36 for more punchiness with some lower range still.

Really you should model it up and see, my .02 is just an opinion.

box is 1.4ft^3 I didn't account for displacement because I wanted it a little smaller. tuned to a 35hz I assume the box got smaller due to disp. so probably tuned a little lower

in theory this is what I was going for.

port area 12×2 

port length 32

box without disp. 1.4 cft

20181007_124104.jpg

20181007_150341.jpg

I used sketch up and a port length calculator. I tried ajdesign also. the calculations were very similar between the two 

well here is the measurements from sketch up it was actually 35.something, I didn't have access earlier, i was at work. But either way it's just not the same as 15s man especially going from two RE double x 15s

20181011_193449.jpg

So if the 1.4cf is correct then its tuned to about 34hz. Airflow through the port is choked and turbulent with all of those bends but you have 1/5 the cone area of those 15s so there's going to be a difference in output. 

You know what guys I went out and changed the crossover on my excelon a little bit it sounds a lot more punchy and picked up what it was lacking i dropped the LP to 90hz instead of 120 and the drop off to 24bd instead of 12bd. boosted 160hz 1db. sorry bout that forgot to tune that damn eq

So if the 1.4cf is correct then its tuned to about 34hz. Airflow through the port is choked and turbulent with all of those bends but you have 1/5 the cone area of those 15s so there's going to be a difference in output. 
so to decrease that turbulence should i go with a port with less bends and closer to a 1:1 ratio for port L×W if possible 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.