Subaru outback sound system install HELP PLS!

Participant count
  • Participants list

Aric Sumner

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey everyone! i currently have a 2006 Subaru outback that i am installing the following in.

Rockford Prime R500X1D               

• 300 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohms, 500 Watts x 1 @ 2-Ohms, Frequency 20Hz to 250Hz +/-1dB
Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3  

• Configuration: 3-Way Full-Range
  • Nominal Impedance (Ohms): 4-Ohm
  • Frequency Response (Hz): 52Hz-20kHz
  • Power Handling (RMS): 45 Watts RMS, 90 Watts MAX
Rockford Fosgate Prime R165-S       

Power Handling (RMS)
40 Watts RMS 
80 Watts Max

Speaker Type
Component System

Frequency Response (Hz)
60Hz - 20kHz

Crossover
Tweeter High-Pass (HP): 4.5kHz @ 6dB/octave

Nominal Impedance (Ohms)
4-Ohm

Rockford Fosgate P2D4-12 

Size
12"

Power Handling (Watts RMS)
400 Watts RMS 
800 Watts Max

Dual 4-Ohm

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X702 

General

RMS Power (CTA-2006)

N/A

RMS Power (Manufacturer)

22 watts

Peak Output

50 watts

RMS Power Bandwidth

20-20kHz

Preamp Outputs

6-channel

Sub Preamp Outputs

Yes

Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs

No

Video Screen

No

Preamp Voltage

5 volts

I built another kicker system in my Chevy pickup and it was OK at best. SO i have decided to reach out to the pros for help.

My questions/ concerns are as follows....

#1 What is the overall opinion of this system and how do you think it will sound? pls keep in mind this is a budget build and i am just looking for some decent sound with bass without blowing my ass off hahahaha.

#2 i am worried about my head unit not giving the 2 full range/ 2 component/ 2 inch tweeters enough RMS power so..... should i purchase another separate 4 channel amp to power those? 

#3 should i replace the factory speaker wire and run 16 or 14 guage wire to all six locations?

Please help! any advice is appreciated! I am going to slap this bad mama together this weekend! Thanks in advance!

3.png

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
My questions/ concerns are as follows....

#1 What is the overall opinion of this system and how do you think it will sound? pls keep in mind this is a budget build and i am just looking for some decent sound with bass without blowing my ass off hahahaha.

#2 i am worried about my head unit not giving the 2 full range/ 2 component/ 2 inch tweeters enough RMS power so..... should i purchase another separate 4 channel amp to power those? 

#3 should i replace the factory speaker wire and run 16 or 14 guage wire to all six locations?
Sorry for the delays.  Did you actually do the work yet?

1.  The end sound quality will depend on the installation and attention to details.  You need plenty of closed cell weatherstripping foam (like $4 a roll) to gasket the speakers to the doors/adapters and to the plastic panels/grills.  Consider that you want a water-tight installation between the speakers and the metal mounting surfaces and the plastic panels/grills.  That isolates the front and rear wave and also mitigates buzzing and rattles.

2. Yes, you want a 4ch amp for speakers if you want any appreciable output with clarity.   You can add that later but it's cleaner to add it now or at least plan for it - that means a fused distribution block near the sub amp to also feed the 4ch speaker amp.

3. you don't need to replace the factory wiring, but you will need to resolve how the component tweeters will get wiring.  The passive crossovers with the component set need a location.  If the tweeters are on the dash then you can locate the passive crossovers behind the dash so the woofer output can reuse the stock wiring and tweeter wiring can be new.  If the tweeters are placed on the door panels then you can locate the crossovers on the door (not inside the door where it gets wet but on the dry interior side but behind the plastic door panel).  if you locate the crossovers on the door then you reuse the stock wiring to feed the crossover input but run new wiring from the crossover to the woofer and tweeter.  Just plan that process out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.