My amp goes into protection mode if I wire my second sub but works fine with only one

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tyler Gillis

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a kac7203 Kenwood amp and 2 magnum by mtx 12 in subs which I believe are 4ohm with just one of the subs wired everything runs fine but when I run the second one my amp shuts down after 5 minutes of use this is a used set up and all new wiring in my car 

I have a kac7203 Kenwood amp and 2 magnum by mtx 12 in subs which I believe are 4ohm with just one of the subs wired everything runs fine but when I run the second one my amp shuts down after 5 minutes of use this is a used set up and all new wiring in my car 
That amp is only 4 ohm stable in mono mode. you can run one sub off each ch in stereo mode.two four ohm subs will put you at 2 ohm if wired together or 8 ohm.

amp specs= https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8514_Kenwood-KAC-7203.html

Wiring of two SVC 4 ohm subs=https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/subwoofer-wiring-diagrams.asp?Q=2&I=41

I would get a DMM, and check each coil on each sub to see what ohm load they are and to see if either may be damaged

Just so I understand you correctly being wired at the wrong ohm is making it shut down because I have read other places that if not grounded correctly it would or could do that as well do I actually need to sand down to bare metal like I have seen on other threads because I don’t remember ever having to do this years ago thanks in advanced for any advice 

Just so I understand you correctly being wired at the wrong ohm is making it shut down because I have read other places that if not grounded correctly it would or could do that as well do I actually need to sand down to bare metal like I have seen on other threads because I don’t remember ever having to do this years ago thanks in advanced for any advice 
two four ohm subs wired at 2 ohms is what you are stating those subs are/ SvC 4 ohm subs correct??here is a wiring diagram of the final load to the amplifiers stability ohm load with the subs of which that amp you have is only 4 ohm stable and not 2 ohm stable.And yes.clean your grounding point up to fresh metal and bolt it down.Hit it with a shot of paint to keep corrosion/rusting to a min.or if under the vehicle.. cover with grease.

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/subwoofer-wiring-diagrams.asp?Q=2&I=41

You can run at 8 ohm if you want.Amp can handle that no problem

or run one sub at 4 ohms mono

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/subwoofer-wiring-diagrams.asp?Q=1&I=41

or in stereo mode..ch 1 at + to poss, and neg. to neg on one sub and same on other ch,and switch setting to full on amp and adjust settings

Last edited by a moderator:
That amp isnt rated for 2 ohm mono load. You will fry that amp pretty soon if you keep running it like that.It gets too hott too quick and shuts down/protect mode of which is what it supposed to do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.