5 Channel or Seperates?

Participant count
  • Participant list

91RS

CarAudio.com Newbie
This requires some back story but I'll try to keep it short.  I just bought a truck and I've decided I want to upgrade the sound in it also but I can't spend a huge amount of money.  My car currently has an Arc Audio PS8 DSP, Digital Designs D5.1000 amplifier, Dynaudio System 222 front components, and a PSI Bass-Line 10" sub tuned to 30Hz.  I've been planning on going up to a 12" sub so I'm going to use the 10" from my car in the truck since I already have it and the box is already built.  I thought I was going to bi-amp front components and run rear door speakers in the truck so I bought a Zapco ST-6X SQ and then realized I would need much more expensive speakers to handle the power and then I decided I didn't want to give up the space to run two amplifiers.  I ended up buying a set of HAT Unity components.  Then I thought about using the Zapco in my car even though I don't need six channels and adding a second amplifier for the subwoofer and using the D5.1000 in truck but the thought of redoing the wiring in my car makes me cringe.  The D5.1000 will fit in place of the factory amplifier under the center console in the truck but it is discontinued now which really ***** as I'm not finding anything else that makes the same power that's the same size.  They offer a D5.1500 now but that's definitely more than the truck needs so that leads me back to changing the car to use that amp in my truck!  

This brings me to my actual question.  Is there any benefit to using separate amplifiers over a 5 channel?  If I stay 5 channel in the car there's a possibility of the rewiring being minimal if I can still get a physically larger amplifier mounted in the same location but I already have the Zapco which is Class A/B which should be an improvement over the Class D.  I could stay class D and buy the new DD D5.1500 for my car and sell the Zapco.  I could sell the Zapco and buy a different 5 channel like a used Audison A/V 5.1k or Phoenix Gold Elite.5 both seem like they'd fit the bill.  Or I could keep the Zapco and buy a monoblock amplifier to go with it to run the sub.  I think options A and C would be the cheapest but probably not by a huge amount of money if I'm buying used stuff.

Any thoughts on this?  Hopefully this isn't just rambling babble.  I think it at least somewhat makes sense.

This requires some back story but I'll try to keep it short.  I just bought a truck and I've decided I want to upgrade the sound in it also but I can't spend a huge amount of money.  My car currently has an Arc Audio PS8 DSP, Digital Designs D5.1000 amplifier, Dynaudio System 222 front components, and a PSI Bass-Line 10" sub tuned to 30Hz.  I've been planning on going up to a 12" sub so I'm going to use the 10" from my car in the truck since I already have it and the box is already built.  I thought I was going to bi-amp front components and run rear door speakers in the truck so I bought a Zapco ST-6X SQ and then realized I would need much more expensive speakers to handle the power and then I decided I didn't want to give up the space to run two amplifiers.  I ended up buying a set of HAT Unity components.  Then I thought about using the Zapco in my car even though I don't need six channels and adding a second amplifier for the subwoofer and using the D5.1000 in truck but the thought of redoing the wiring in my car makes me cringe.  The D5.1000 will fit in place of the factory amplifier under the center console in the truck but it is discontinued now which really ***** as I'm not finding anything else that makes the same power that's the same size.  They offer a D5.1500 now but that's definitely more than the truck needs so that leads me back to changing the car to use that amp in my truck!  

This brings me to my actual question.  Is there any benefit to using separate amplifiers over a 5 channel?  If I stay 5 channel in the car there's a possibility of the rewiring being minimal if I can still get a physically larger amplifier mounted in the same location but I already have the Zapco which is Class A/B which should be an improvement over the Class D.  I could stay class D and buy the new DD D5.1500 for my car and sell the Zapco.  I could sell the Zapco and buy a different 5 channel like a used Audison A/V 5.1k or Phoenix Gold Elite.5 both seem like they'd fit the bill.  Or I could keep the Zapco and buy a monoblock amplifier to go with it to run the sub.  I think options A and C would be the cheapest but probably not by a huge amount of money if I'm buying used stuff.

Any thoughts on this?  Hopefully this isn't just rambling babble.  I think it at least somewhat makes sense.
Jesus!! your equipment list looks like a whos who of the car audio world!! The Elite.5 should do what you need it to nicely with proper electrical, of course

Luckily the battery is in the trunk so that helps significantly.  The Audison 5.1k looks nice but I'm worried that the 75 watts for the tweeters may not be enough since the MD102's are 8 ohms and  the mids will get the full 140 watts since they're 4 ohms.  I could probably save $100-$150 keeping the Zapco I have and getting a monoblock for the subwoofer but the rewiring is the only thing stopping me because it'll be a PITA and I'll probably have to relocate the amps to the spare tire well (will they get to hot in there??).

Luckily the battery is in the trunk so that helps significantly.  The Audison 5.1k looks nice but I'm worried that the 75 watts for the tweeters may not be enough since the MD102's are 8 ohms and  the mids will get the full 140 watts since they're 4 ohms.  I could probably save $100-$150 keeping the Zapco I have and getting a monoblock for the subwoofer but the rewiring is the only thing stopping me because it'll be a PITA and I'll probably have to relocate the amps to the spare tire well (will they get to hot in there??).
if theyre in an enclosed area like the spare tire well, they will get very hot, but that can be alleviated with a couple cheap fans and vent slots in the lid

I figured as much, I see a lot of people do that and always thought about airflow. I currently have it mounted upside down under the package tray. I guess the 5 channel might be worth the little extra money so I can hopefully leave it in that location. That would make the rewiring somewhat easier as well. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.