Factory Speaker Replacement - Advice Please

Participant count
  • Participant list

jlm74

CarAudio.com Newbie
I've got a 2018 Nissan Rogue with the upgraded 7" headunit and 6 speaker non-bose system.  I'd like to upgrade the (4) 6.5" speakers that are in the doors, while leaving the 2 tweeters in the corner dash alone. 

Nissan has complicated matters because the whole system is a 2ohm system.  I know that if I use a speaker other than one designed for 2ohm, I'm going to have a loss in volume.  To complicate matters, a friend of mine keeps telling me if a speaker is more efficient that it will make up for the loss in volume, so I'm totally at a loss here and need some advice. 

I'm not interested in installing an amp or subwoofer, just replacing the factory paper speakers with something that will sound a little better.   

There seems to be one OEM fit drop in replacement: 
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_151L2652/PowerBass-L2-652.html
This unit is a 2-ohm speaker that seems to be designed to work with the factory unit as-is.  It just seems a little.. underwhelming considering the specs.  

The other alternative that my friend keeps pointing out is a 3-ohm speaker:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R6532EX/Infinity-Reference-REF-6532ex.html
He keeps telling me that while it's a 3-ohm speaker, the loss in volume would not be that dramatic, and the speaker is more efficient so there wouldn't be a big difference in volume.  He says this would be a better choice because they would deliver better clarity and detail.  

I'm not a huge audio guy, so I don't understand the numbers, so I thought I'd seek out some opinions.  Based on these two speakers, does anyone have a recommendation?

I've tried to find some JBL speakers that would fit and are rated at 2ohm and the closest I can find is the JBL Club 6520 - also rated at 3ohms

I've tried to find some JBL speakers that would fit and are rated at 2ohm and the closest I can find is the JBL Club 6520 - also rated at 3ohms
You are not going to tell that much difference from 3 ohm to 2 ohm with a 1 ohm difference on any stock speaker without an amplified system.Maybe just a little more clarity, if you have bionic hearing but depends on your volume level.Should be just fine

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so then you would also recommend using the 3ohm Infinity speaker over the 2ohm powerbass speaker? 

Ok so then you would also recommend using the 3ohm Infinity speaker over the 2ohm powerbass speaker? 
Id recommend a JBL over Both to be honest. Infinity does sound good though. Not a whole lot different than JBL to be honest within this catagory of speakers

CDT Audio has 2 ohm 6.5" woofers that could do the job well. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the details of my recommended package to handle this tonight.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jlm74

CarAudio.com Newbie
jlm74
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
trumpet