Kenwood DNX 890HD iPhone hookup question

Participant count
  • Participant list

SuperWookiee

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently purchased a really nice 2011 Subaru Outback and it has a Kenwood DNX 890HD head unit with no manual. The person I bought it from barely knew how to use it, but claims they were able to plug in their iPhone to the ipod/iphone usb cable that is in the glove box that comes from the head unit. I have had NO such luck after hours and hours of hooking things up differently, trying all the settings and modes on the head unit. I'm at my whits end and was wondering if anyone knew how to get this thing to work?

I have an iPhone 8 that only plays music through the lightning cable. It only charges or plays music, but not both at the same time. So when I plug in my iPhone to the iPod or USB cables coming out of the head unit, it just starts charging the phone, It won't play the music. Even though the head unit shows what song is playing and I can pause the song from the head unit??? But nothing is playing in the cars speakers. 

The Subaru also has an Aux port in the center arm rest console, as well as another usb port. Plugging into either of those and then my iPhone 8 still won't play any music no matter what setting or mode I change the head unit too. 

Does anyone know what is going on or how to get my iPhone 8 to play through this thing? It's soooo frustrating as the girl I bought it from claimed: "all I did was plug in a charger into the cigarette lighter to charge my iPhone, then plug it in to the iPod usb cord that is in the glove box." And yet that isn't working for me at all. I even went through all the settings in the unit and messed with those to try and get it to work and NOTHING!

Any help is MUCH appreciated! 

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.