SSA Icon 12" vs. Fi SSD 12"

91RS

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am currently trying to decide between the SSA Icon 12" and the Fi SSD 12."  the QES, QMS, and QTS are very similar but the VAS is very different and the MMS is heaver on the Fi.  I currently have a PSI Bass-Line 10" and I'm looking for more volume but I want some SQ, too.  I think the PSI sounds pretty decent but I've seen a lot of comments saying they're terrible but I haven't heard anything better since up to this system in my car everything has been on the lower end with stuff Infinity and a Bazooka tube subwoofer. 

Anyway, I'm trying to map these two speakers in WinISD to compare to each other and to my PSI (which is currently in a 1.25 ft*3 box tuned to 30Hz) and I'm having some trouble.  I'm not an expert with WinISD so I don't know if I've screwed up something or what.  I'm planning on Dual 2 ohm coils so I can do 1 ohm.  The Re that SSA has on their web site is 4 ohms and when I put that in and select wiring it parallel it calculates the Znom as 6 ohms.  Fi has the Re at 1.5 on their site and WinISD calculates the Znom as 2 ohms.  I thought the Re was the resistance of each voice coil that is usually a tad less the 2 ohms of each coil (like the Fi)?  I though Znom is supposed to be the resistance the amplifier sees?  Or does this not even matter?

What I've attached is both speakers in a 2 ft*3 box tuned to 33 Hz getting 1000 watts with a 125Hz LPF and 20Hz HPF.  If I've done this correctly, it looks like the Fi will get louder but the SSA looks like a better frequency response?  Based on this be "right" I'm leaning towards the SSA.  Both have a good bit more SPL than the PSI.

Fi Parameters.JPG

SPL.JPG

SSA Parameters.JPG

TFM.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where your box designs come into play. You could increase the box size of the ssa and get a much closer response or what i would do lower the tuning of the fi to 30 it will flatten the peak and extend your overall response. 

The only way to flatten out the Fi is to drop the tuning to 30Hz and the box size to 1.5 ft*3.  That's part of the reason I was thinking something was wrong with the entry of the driver specs.

What are they supposed to be? I figured it was wrong but that’s what was on SSA’s and Fi’s web sites. 

The SSA does look better to me (musically) but your goals are not clear. The Fi looks a bit louder (peakier, lower) but the SSA could achieve the same in a larger box I think.

It's all enclosure/install IMO at this point... just gotta do some playing around/comparison modeling both up.

The SSA does look better to me (musically) but your goals are not clear. The Fi looks a bit louder (peakier, lower) but the SSA could achieve the same in a larger box I think.

It's all enclosure/install IMO at this point... just gotta do some playing around/comparison modeling both up.
I want a good musical sub that can get loud.  The PSI 10" I have now is not quite enough on certain songs.

I'm pretty sure I'm set on getting the Icon but I still want to make sure that I'm using WinISD correctly so I can get the box design right.

I’m still deciding on if I’m taking the amp out of my car to use in my truck but either way I was going to buy the dual 2 ohm to run at 1 ohm. The amp I have now would give it 1000 watts so hopefully whatever I do will keep it near there. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.