Old Guy Needs Some Wiring Advise.

Participant count
  • Participant list

BigBlue74

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I could start off with a back in my day statement but I think the title covers that. 

AMP - JL Audio JX 1000/1D 

2x  10tw3-d4

Going in a custom built box for my truck.  Going to end up with .6 CU FT per chamber a bit more then the sub needs. 

here is where I am on the fence. They are 4ohm speakers I could wire them in Parallel dropping to 2ohms getting the full 1000w from the amp however the speakers only have an RMS of 400w

If I just wire direct at 4ohms I cut RMS down to 500w which is way under powering these subs. 

Curious what you guys would do.?

Actually looking at your link. Doesn't look like I can wire these up into 2ohm. The JL 10tw3-d4 is a 4ohm DVC looks like a parallel wiring would take it to 1ohms. And the amp is not 1ohm rated. 

Actually looking at your link. Doesn't look like I can wire these up into 2ohm. The JL 10tw3-d4 is a 4ohm DVC looks like a parallel wiring would take it to 1ohms. And the amp is not 1ohm rated. 
I did not look up the sub specs..You can still use one coil on each sub and run at 1/2 the rms value on each sub. Ive ran subs like this on one coil several times over the years and never had any issues wiring as such to be based on one coil per sub/at 4 ohms each to achieve 2 ohm stability at 1/2 the rms rating for each sub

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/subwoofer-wiring-diagrams.asp?Q=2&I=41

Thats the beauty of DVC subs..You have options that you can utilize.You can run both coils for the specified max rms rating or wire up one coil on each sub and run at 1/2 the specified rms rating. Doesnt hurt the sub at all if you stay within the limitations and stay out of distortion/clipping issues and also that amp with a bit more head room will run cooler as well.Ive had a coil go out on an older Audiobahn AW1006t and wired to one coil that was good and ran at 4 ohms for 10 years before I pulled it, and it 8 years ago and still works just fine on that one coil.

But in this scenario running at half RMS that would put me way over powering these subs.  Subs have a 400w RMS. If I cut that in half I am at 200w RMS. 

Pushing a 1000w Mono D amp at them that is 500w per speaker. 

Or am I not under standing this correctly. 

But in this scenario running at half RMS that would put me way over powering these subs.  Subs have a 400w RMS. If I cut that in half I am at 200w RMS. 

Pushing a 1000w Mono D amp at them that is 500w per speaker. 

Or am I not under standing this correctly. 
Setting your gains on that amp for what those subs needs should be fine. You are not going to be placing that 1k on those subs.You will have alot of head room on that amp meaning it will not be running hot, gains are not maxed out,your current draw should be at a min. and should last you a very long time running at minimum/or even at half.You may not even be at 50% gain for those subs..prob somewhere in the neighborhood of approx 9'Oclock position, giving your amp alot of breathing room to run cool and draw less off your electrical/needs while not taxing it.Should serve just fine

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.