What size wire do I need for my amp?

Joel114

CarAudio.com Recruit
I am going to be getting a 1600w rms amp because it is a nicer quality than the ones around 1000 but I don't want to have to run a massive wire if I need to. All the speakers combined consume 700w so can I just use 4 gauge for the amp or does it always consume the full 1600w rms?

I am going to be getting a 1600w rms amp because it is a nicer quality than the ones around 1000 but I don't want to have to run a massive wire if I need to. All the speakers combined consume 700w so can I just use 4 gauge for the amp or does it always consume the full 1600w rms?
To answer your question accurately it truely depends on how long your runs of 4awg are going to be. Runs up to 19ft long and with good quality OFC 4 awg (Try NVX, Sky high, and or Gp audio, good quality and decent prices and look for amp kits) 125 amp of current it can safely pass, which is around 1800 watts at 14.4v. You might be pulling tops 75 amps of current with this build. Even if you eventually upgrade subwoofers and max the gain on that amp out depending  on which amp. You should be fine. Just make sure you fuse your system. I'd  say up to about 1500watts 4awg OFC should  be fine. Anything over and then look into 0awg ofc which can carry up to 350amps of current. Also if you ever  plan on going over 1500watts just save the money and go with 0awg. The large the cable the more effecient and cooler your amps will run. Hope that helps and more power you can supply.

need to know what amp.

A speaker's power rating has no bearing on amp output.  They are force fed.  They will be delivered current based only on their impedance and the amp's capability at that impedance.  A 50w 4 ohm speaker will "consume" 1000w if that's what the amp produces at 4 ohms (volume dependent, of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.