Whoops, a newbie blew his sub!

Terrum
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Recruit
Turns out I was being a little too bass happy and accidentally blew my Orion XTR152D - a lesson well learnt here for a newbie and likely a high cost to pay as punishment! :D

I have a feeling it's the voice coils that are burnt out, the cone and spider seem to look fine and are still moving when I gently push on the sub.

Would an improperly tuned ported box cause the voice coils to burn? It seems I was only having issues once I converted from an enclosed box to a ported one - but might just be a coincidence!

I gave the sub a little shake and it has a rattly sound, which is what makes me think it is the voice coils: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4hk-lX1gxs

Would it be worth getting it repaired? Or will I just have to shell out for a replacement sub and be more careful?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you tell us a little about your setup? What size box and what’s the tuning? What amp/ohm load or how much power are you running? Gain settings,bass boost (hopefully none) , etc.    Too many variables we don’t know for anyone to be real helpful. My best guess though is clipping killed your sub. 

put a multimeter on the leads of the coil to find if its truly blown, but a rattle when shaking it isnt a good sign. Recones for that woofer are around, what... $70? at that cost, id just use it for a new sub fund

Can you tell us a little about your setup? What size box and what’s the tuning? What amp/ohm load or how much power are you running? Gain settings,bass boost (hopefully none) , etc.    Too many variables we don’t know for anyone to be real helpful. My best guess though is clipping killed your sub. 
Sorry about that, I should have mentioned the amp is a Rockford R750-1D. The 'Punch EQ' was turned up just slightly, although I'm concerned because the remote is called 'Punch EQ' too, I thought the remote was for gain? Confirmation on this would be great! (EDIT: https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/1510-56888-01/ seems to suggest that the 'Punch' is just part of the name, but it controls the internal gain of the amplifier and has nothing to do with the Punch EQ?)

The ported enclosure I used was this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262891168376 but seeing as it doesn't mention what frequency it is tuned in, I assume it was a bad purchase. Whether it was partly to blame or not for the blowout is beyond me!

I might just stick with an enclosed box now incase I was having subsonic issues with the vented box.

For the effort and price it's going to be to find someone to recone it, I'll probably just have to buy another sub, will be more careful next time! :)

It's most likely that you broke that sub mechanically playing below box tuning.   Sounds to me like the coil former is broken from bottoming it out.  If there's nothing you can see that is loose and can be glued there's no recovery from there.  Cut around the surround and the spider/tinsels and post pics of what you did inside there.  This will at least help us determine how you broke it (mechanically or thermally).  I'm guessing mechanical.

Not sure if Orion sells recone kits/parts, might be something you could do yourself if you felt ambitious depending on what parts you can find.  May be tricky or overly expensive to get parts in UK though...

The provider of the ported box said that it is tuned to 40hz. So does that mean I have to set my amplifier to subsonic 40hz so that it blocks out any frequencies lower than 40hz?

I think to be safe I'll just stick with a sealed box for now, if it happens again at least I know it isn't an issue with the ported box then (or my lack of proper amplifier configuration to ported boxes)

Unless you can get a properly designed-lower tuned box, it's gonna be lacking those lows as the SSF should be set around mid-30's where the port unloads. It wont make those lows completely disappear but the SSF slope combined with the ported enclosure's rolloff 6-7hz under tuning will sound like it.

And it might help your next sub last longer.

Unless you can get a properly designed-lower tuned box, it's gonna be lacking those lows as the SSF should be set around mid-30's where the port unloads. It wont make those lows completely disappear but the SSF slope combined with the ported enclosure's rolloff 6-7hz under tuning will sound like it.

And it might help your next sub last longer.
I'll be sticking with the sealed box I have until I feel confident enough to use the ported box. Using the maths from this site http://www.decibelcar.com/articles/37-car-audio-electronics/119-subsonic-adjust.html if my box is tuned to 40hz I should mathmatically have my subsonic filter set to 30hz exactly. But anyway, thanks so much! Seriously appreciate everyone's help :)

Sounds Blown in the Vid. Be a nice door scotch. Always can test any speaker with a DMM. That is a must tool to have in car audio and in electronics in general. Very useful around the home as well as for working on any electrical.Great to have. Id see if you can find a match for a new sub and that enclosure. Notsure what is available for your location.id do some research and set your gains accordingly and watch your clipping issues

Sorry to bump an old post but I just want to keep all the information in one place to save repeats.

I finally got myself a replacement sub and now I need to look into any potential causes of the clipping.

Even with EQs turned off and no bass boosts, the amp still seems to be clipping at high volumes. I truly believe the amp and sub are more than capable of performing at high volume, but I noticed my headlights were dimming on bass notes so I think my amp is clipping due to lack of power, rather than incorrectly set gains.

Car Electronix's video suggests that I get a better car battery for headlights that are dimming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmJvre00KQ0 Whilst other sources are suggesting a capacitor or a better alternator (although I really didn't think I would need a capacitor or better alternator for a 750W RMS setup).

My current stock/factory battery is 36Ah and 330A, and in accordance to the video's information of matching the wattage with the cranking amps as a rough average, a Stinger SPV44 (44Ah and 550A) should be perfect as a replacement battery, should this be something I need.

Of course I can't expect anyone here to give me a definitive answer, but any theoretical or 'personal experience' answers will truly help me, but my question is, will a battery upgrade stop the headlights dimming and eliminate the clipping? (If lack of power is the issue in the first place - process of elimination is my key here! Plus I love learning :) )

Any help, suggestions and responses are greatly appreciated!

TL;DR: Does my stock car battery of 36Ah and 330A have the ability to fully power an 750W RMS amp or will I need an upgrade battery?

TL;DR: Does my stock car battery of 36Ah and 330A have the ability to fully power an 750W RMS amp or will I need an upgrade battery? 
That's a very wimpy battery.  I'd think you'd be safe with a good quality 55AH AGM style battery but a stock 35AH lead acid is probably struggling.  That said, that Orion sub you're using is no way in Hell a 750W sub and your Rockford amp is probably capable of closer to 1000W.   Electrical aside you will want a better sub if you want to really utilize the full capabilities of that amp without blowing up subs. 

Any capacitor anybody is trying to sell you is junk, avoid at all costs.  High Output alternator is overkill and a good one will not be cheap.

You might could build yourself a DIY lithium battery if you're handy, but I'm not sure how restricted or heavily taxed you are on imports from China there.

What kind of vehicle? What size alt?
It's a 2010 Renault Clio 1.2 16v. What sizes are you looking for exactly? I'll try fetch them in the morning if you really feel it will help.

That's a very wimpy battery.  I'd think you'd be safe with a good quality 55AH AGM style battery but a stock 35AH lead acid is probably struggling.  That said, that Orion sub you're using is no way in Hell a 750W sub and your Rockford amp is probably capable of closer to 1000W.   Electrical aside you will want a better sub if you want to really utilize the full capabilities of that amp without blowing up subs. 

Any capacitor anybody is trying to sell you is junk, avoid at all costs.  High Output alternator is overkill and a good one will not be cheap.

You might could build yourself a DIY lithium battery if you're handy, but I'm not sure how restricted or heavily taxed you are on imports from China there.
The sub is 750W RMS https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_92822_Orion-XTR152D.html alongside the amp which is also 720W RMS @ 1ohm https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r750-1d/

Could you recommend a specific AGM battery, or could you let me know if the battery I linked (Stinger SPV44) would be a good match? With its wattage of 1320 it should meet the 750 RMS of my amp and have lots leftover for headlights etc, presuming the alternator isn't the issue.

Many thanks! :)

My guess... In the sealed enclosure, cone movement was less due to being in a sealed enclosure. The gain was set on the amp while the music was playing, Punch EQ was up... which boost up to 12db @ 45hz, Bass is up on the head unit, playing bass heavy music at high volumes... the sealed box saved the sub by limiting cone movement. The sub was moved to a ported enclosure tuned to "40hz". Here is what I think happened. Nothing was changed on the amp or head unit and the sub was put in the ported box. Music was turned on and turned up. Notes in the 35 to 50hz range were playing and the Punch EQ @ 45hz combined with the 40hz tune of the port was spiking frequencies in the 40's 10-14db higher than the rest of the music slamming the VC former over and over and over until it started having Kapton babies in the gap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.