4th order blowthrough f-150

Participant count
  • Participant list

DirtyDuzit

AZ
I've got two Ct sounds tropo 18's, I've been trying different box designs in winisd for almost a week after I was convinced to go the blowthrough route.

I keep seeing people claim you should tune higher on a 4th order 45hz being the average, and I do see a lot better performance on winisd when I tune higher
so I hope that's right. This is what I've been going for so far but I'm not sure how much bigger 4th order boxes are supposed to be in the ported section.
If I did the boxes recommended 5 cubes sealed and went with a 3:1 ratio I'd have a 40 cube box.

So to compensate I've gone a little smaller on the sealer section to maintain a 3:1 ratio and till have some of my truck left.

Tuned 45hz
6 cubes sealed
18 cubes ported
8 inches tall 30 inches wide, 4.9 inches long port. I just liked this design visually but if 8x30 will create port noise or something I can change it.  (is this too big?) 

On winisd this gives me +0db @ 31.5hz peaking at +8db @ 45hz and back to +0db @65hz.
this does create a pretty huge fall off for anything in the 20's with 29hz being -3db and 20hz being -12db.

Not sure how accurate winisd is.

Any advice on this would be helpful I've built a few boxes before but finding a lot less info on 4th orders then on a regular ported box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try adding a filter in the editor like this to get an Idea of the cabin gain you'll get.

9HIhg2.jpg

It's something that'll help... no, it's not super accurate but with experience it can be used to APPROXIMATE response and extension in-car.

It changes response when added and also the SPL plot but gets screwy with anything else.

Try adding a filter in the editor like this to get an Idea of the cabin gain you'll get.

It's something that'll help... no, it's not super accurate but with experience it can be used to APPROXIMATE response and extension in-car.

It changes response when added and also the SPL plot but gets screwy with anything else.
Thanks bud, you got any idea about my size? 22 cubes total for the 2 18's. I keep seeing more and more gain in winisd all the way up to something like 10cubes sealed 30 cubes ported but I dont know if at that point the box will be too big especially since I'll be running ~1500w

Looked pretty good to me modeling it up... how much power are you planning to run?

What amp/load?
Still haven't bought an amp. Got two young kids so im piecing everything together. I've got enough wire for 2 runs of sky high 1/0 (cca but still should be enough)
I've got a few batteries I can throw in.

It's gunna have to be a cheap amp I'm thinking either one of these:

Skar 2k
Audiopipe 2k (or 1.5)
Dynamic Audio 1500.1
CAB 2k

The skar 2k's are often $159.99 refurb might be a little much for those subs but I'll just dial it down a bit if it is.

EDIT: One problem is I originally bought the first 18 thinking I'd only run 1 so its a D2 so I'm gunna either be rocking .5 or 2ohm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert on 4ths but watch excursion as you add power to the modeling just to see where it is. 

I probably woulda gone closer to 2:1 ratio for less peakiness and greater extension with maybe a larger sealed side and a slightly higher tune (47hz?)... just guessing.

But it's something you can look at if you got Winisd and are currently using it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.