Need help building an enclosure for my regular cab ram

Participant count
  • Participant list

2012RamRT

Delaware
What i'm attempting to fit into the amount of space I have may seem a little ridiculous but I need some help designing a box for my application. The vehicle is a 2012 Ram R/T single cab. The sub woofer is a 12" Massive Audio HIPPOXL 122R  (mounting depth 8.19" and displacement .103) and according to what I've gathered, a vented box would be ideal for that sub. I attached the specification for the sub along with a 3D drawing that gives the approximate size ( 24"x20"x10" ) I need for it to fit behind the passenger seat of my single cab truck. Would a port coming out of the side of the box work and what would the length need to be if the opening of the port is 8.5" x 3"? Actually, what size should the port opening be? The box would have a internal dimension (3/4 inch MDF) of 3.15 cubic feet without subtracting the woofer displacement, any bracing or the port.  I could go longer than 30" if I need to. 

specs.jpg

Box.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any way to go deeper on the box? You'll have 1/4 inch between the pole vent and the back wall of the box would would obstruct cooling. If you cant go any deeper use those dimensions and a 6 inch round aeroport that is 20-21 inches long. That would give you about 2.6-2.7cf tuned around 34hz. Round ports are easier to design and work with, especially if you are a beginner. You can buy them at bigassports.com

I could possibly go deeper, maybe 11"  but what if i made a circle baffle that the sub mounted to which would give me another 3/4 of an inch mounting depth. I have more room to work with on the lower half of the box since the seat sits at an angle. 

I could technically go as wide as the truck is so if I did a box like I attached which is 44" x 16" x 11" (3.38 cubic feet) would that affect the length of the 6" round port? 

BOX2.jpg

Single cab Ram huh?... sounds familiar

That Hippo likes a larger box the way the specifications read offhand to me... 8.19" depth too.

I'm sure it can be done but an aero would probably be best IMO.

Yeah, i'll only be using 1 hippo but it says optimum is 3.4 cubic feet. The other issue is the mounting depth is 8 1/4 which is 2 inches more than the sundowns in that diagram. Thanks for the link though. My biggest question is does the port length need to change depending on the size of the box?

Volume affects port length for a desired tune... power affects port area needed. Port area affects length needed for a desired tune in a specific volume as well as well. Should get it modeled-up 1st to see what's possible

That's why box calcs are just guessing as far as port area needed... model it-up to find that, then a box calculator will get you close.

But really it should be modeled-up with ALL factors taken into consideration... I use Winisd, others use BBPro... those are not box calculators... lol

What's your goals with this?

That Sub will be fun to fit in the space you've provided... I'm sure you'll find a way.

I currently have it in a sealed box that's angled 24" high x 22" wide x 15" deep at bottom and 9" deep at top behind the passenger seat which has to be all the way forward for it to fit. My goal is to go wider with a box so It doesn't have to be as deep. I'm also losing a lot of low end bass having it in the sealed enclosure which is why i'm trying to figure out how to build a vented box and get the tune right.  

Im sure if the depth can be addressed the ported enclosure will be night and day. 

Ought to find a designer... anyone know of someone? 

Diy is really the way to go imo... understanding how-to  and building the thing makes it worth it.

I have a Hifonics Brutus BRX3016.1D amp that is also 3000watts RMS. I also have the big 3 upgrade, an AUX battery and the back wall has NVX sound dampening.  I'm fully capable as far as construction of the box goes, it's the technical details that I'm having trouble with. 

Ok... you have the ability to measure correctly, apparently draw one up and build one, I'd say the next step would be this

That ought to get you started... unless you're looking for a free design.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.