8ch minimum DSP choices as of fall 2018?

Participant count
  • Participant list
After a little uneducated digging I got this short list of quality [min. of 8ch out] DSPs. Add to the list if you know of any in this league in terms of quality and features. Some of them are too expensive for my budget but I put them on the list because if there's a good clear reason to spend the extra money I will. Also, it might help others with this touch choice. And the big questions... which would you choose for a 7 channel active system with OEM integration and why? 

Alpine PXA H800

Audio Control DM 6/810

Dayton Audio DSP-408

Focal FSP 8

Helix DSP .2

Helix DSP PRO MK2

JL Audio TwK88

Rockford Fosgate DSR1

RF 3Sixty.3

Zapco Z8 (III, IV or V??)

They're all worthy in their own way. I like my PXA-H800 a lot but I would only get it if I already have an Alpine headunit. Helix Pro is overpriced for what it is IMO so I wouldn't get it unless you came across a great deal. The rockford DSR-1 and Dayton DSP is what I would look at for the absolute budget minded person. The JL TWK is like the in between at an attractive price point but I don't like it cuz it doesn't give you full control. As of right now if I were to spend money on a nice DSP I would go with the zapco z8 IV or V. Zapco is reasonably priced for what they offer IMO. They have a great track record and they are constantly innovating. Every DSP is made in China nowadays so choose based on what you're trying to get out of it. Rather than brand name. I would just starting saving your pennies right now...

Due to the complexity and variety of factory audio systems it is unlikely for one manufacturer to make a DSP that covers the entire range of current production vehicles. This is why we rely on integration devices such as PAC AmpPro, JL Audio FiX, Zen Audio's various specialty products, and so on. It used to be that input EQ and channel summing were adequate to give two full range "flat" left and right channels from 4 or more input channels.

CDT Audio DSP4.8 also needs to be included.

CDT Audio DSP48 brochure p52.png

The Helix DSPs are made in Germany. 

I have zero complaints about Helix gear.  I liked the Helix DSP so much I recycled it for my new car.  The DSP.2 is even better. 
I'm sure it's great. Not trying to bash. Many of these DSP's have a place of their own. Always good to recycle nice gear, that's for sure. I knew someone would bring this up..So from what I have heard from an inside source... They are assembled in Germany but made from China parts. I don't know how much of this is true but it shouldn't really matter because it all comes down to engineering. I'm a huge proponent of German engineering so don't take this the wrong way. I'm a big fan of Helix as well. 

I agree with the comments above.  The most flexible system so far is the JL VXi series of amplifiers that can be connected to a network hub that allows 5 amps to be tuned from a single connection - that is up to 40 channels (five 800/8) of individual tuning (with a pair of tunable outputs on each amp on top of that, so 50 channels of tuning with 40 amplified).

I typically prefer Alpine and own the PXA-H800 with the RUX-C800.  I love having the controller for tuning without a laptop. I also run Alpine head units with it and haven't experimented with just a stock HU (yet, planned after I move the VXi to another vehicle).

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.