gregr

8ch minimum DSP choices as of fall 2018?

After a little uneducated digging I got this short list of quality [min. of 8ch out] DSPs. Add to the list if you know of any in this league in terms of quality and features. Some of them are too expensive for my budget but I put them on the list because if there's a good clear reason to spend the extra money I will. Also, it might help others with this touch choice. And the big questions... which would you choose for a 7 channel active system with OEM integration and why? 

Alpine PXA H800

Audio Control DM 6/810

Dayton Audio DSP-408

Focal FSP 8

Helix DSP .2

Helix DSP PRO MK2

JL Audio TwK88

Rockford Fosgate DSR1

RF 3Sixty.3

Zapco Z8 (III, IV or V??)

They're all worthy in their own way. I like my PXA-H800 a lot but I would only get it if I already have an Alpine headunit. Helix Pro is overpriced for what it is IMO so I wouldn't get it unless you came across a great deal. The rockford DSR-1 and Dayton DSP is what I would look at for the absolute budget minded person. The JL TWK is like the in between at an attractive price point but I don't like it cuz it doesn't give you full control. As of right now if I were to spend money on a nice DSP I would go with the zapco z8 IV or V. Zapco is reasonably priced for what they offer IMO. They have a great track record and they are constantly innovating. Every DSP is made in China nowadays so choose based on what you're trying to get out of it. Rather than brand name. I would just starting saving your pennies right now...

2009 Scion TC

HU: Alpine INA-W910

Processor: Alpine PXA-H800

Amps: B2 Audio Zero.5R - Zapco Z-150.4LX - Zapco Z-150.2LX

Front Stage: New front stage TBA~, JL ZR800's

Subs: 4 10" Dayton HO's 3.2 cu ft @ 30hz

Electrical: Singer 320a, XS D2400, Juicebox Lithium 20ah

Nice- thanks for the rundown and advice. 

Due to the complexity and variety of factory audio systems it is unlikely for one manufacturer to make a DSP that covers the entire range of current production vehicles. This is why we rely on integration devices such as PAC AmpPro, JL Audio FiX, Zen Audio's various specialty products, and so on. It used to be that input EQ and channel summing were adequate to give two full range "flat" left and right channels from 4 or more input channels.

CDT Audio DSP4.8 also needs to be included.

CDT Audio DSP48 brochure p52.png

@BarrySchanz on social

Founder and CEO of Barry Schanz Enterprises, LLC

dba Rubyserv

On 10/2/2018 at 4:07 PM, blazian87 said:

Every DSP is made in China nowadays so choose based on what you're trying to get out of it.

The Helix DSPs are made in Germany. 

I have zero complaints about Helix gear.  I liked the Helix DSP so much I recycled it for my new car.  The DSP.2 is even better. 

Sync 3, Helix Director, Helix DSP, Mosconi Zero 3 X 3, Mosconi Zero 1, Dynaudio Esotar 2 E650, Morel CDM 880, Morel 350, Stereo Integrity BM MKV X 2

15 hours ago, Smaple said:

The Helix DSPs are made in Germany. 

I have zero complaints about Helix gear.  I liked the Helix DSP so much I recycled it for my new car.  The DSP.2 is even better. 

I'm sure it's great. Not trying to bash. Many of these DSP's have a place of their own. Always good to recycle nice gear, that's for sure. I knew someone would bring this up..So from what I have heard from an inside source... They are assembled in Germany but made from China parts. I don't know how much of this is true but it shouldn't really matter because it all comes down to engineering. I'm a huge proponent of German engineering so don't take this the wrong way. I'm a big fan of Helix as well. 

2009 Scion TC

HU: Alpine INA-W910

Processor: Alpine PXA-H800

Amps: B2 Audio Zero.5R - Zapco Z-150.4LX - Zapco Z-150.2LX

Front Stage: New front stage TBA~, JL ZR800's

Subs: 4 10" Dayton HO's 3.2 cu ft @ 30hz

Electrical: Singer 320a, XS D2400, Juicebox Lithium 20ah

This is by far the best dsp for the money right now: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500

Most people will be hard to convince of the need of a dsp but if they already have a factory headunit and want to run 8 active channels $150 is way easier to swallow than most peoples expected price tag for a dsp of $400 

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By trumpet
      CDT Audio DSP4.8 Amplified Digital Signal Processor
      View Listing Features built-in 4 channel class A/B full range amplifier output + 2 channel Class D High Power amplifier for subwoofers.
      Including the DSP and amplifier in one chassis opens up many system configuration possibilities that traditionally have required more equipment, more space, more wiring, more $$$.
      Connect to your Windows PC with a USB cable. Auto-detection makes for a painless connection.
      Technical Specs and Dimensions:
      Power input voltage range 9V - 15V Inputs 4 x High Level(Speaker Level) In and 2 x RCA In (4V Max) Outputs 6 x High Level Out, 4 x RCA Out RMS Power 30W x 4 @ 4 Ohms RMS Power 50W x 4 @ 2 Ohms Sub RMS Power 80W x 2 @ 4 Ohms Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20 kHz (0.5 dB) DSP Bit Depth 48 Bit A/D and D/A Converters BurrBrown S/N Ratio >110 db @ 1 kHz 0.1 dB (THD) Channel Separation - Low level outputs >85 dB (1 kHz) Distortion(THD) >0.001% (Low Level Out) Micro USB PC Control Input 360 degree phase adjustment Adjustable crossover frequency and slope 10 bands parametric or graphic Input EQ 15 Bands Per Channel parametric or graphic EQ Dimensions 8.5" (215 mm) x 5.7" (145 mm) x 2.1" (54 mm) Advertiser trumpet Date 10/09/2018 Price $579.99 Category Amplifier Classifieds  
    • By trumpet
      Features built-in 4 channel class A/B full range amplifier output + 2 channel Class D High Power amplifier for subwoofers.
      Including the DSP and amplifier in one chassis opens up many system configuration possibilities that traditionally have required more equipment, more space, more wiring, more $$$.
      Connect to your Windows PC with a USB cable. Auto-detection makes for a painless connection.
      Technical Specs and Dimensions:
      Power input voltage range 9V - 15V Inputs 4 x High Level(Speaker Level) In and 2 x RCA In (4V Max) Outputs 6 x High Level Out, 4 x RCA Out RMS Power 30W x 4 @ 4 Ohms RMS Power 50W x 4 @ 2 Ohms Sub RMS Power 80W x 2 @ 4 Ohms Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20 kHz (0.5 dB) DSP Bit Depth 48 Bit A/D and D/A Converters BurrBrown S/N Ratio >110 db @ 1 kHz 0.1 dB (THD) Channel Separation - Low level outputs >85 dB (1 kHz) Distortion(THD) >0.001% (Low Level Out) Micro USB PC Control Input 360 degree phase adjustment Adjustable crossover frequency and slope 10 bands parametric or graphic Input EQ 15 Bands Per Channel parametric or graphic EQ Dimensions 8.5" (215 mm) x 5.7" (145 mm) x 2.1" (54 mm)
    • By jsampsell
      Item(s) for Sale: One barely used JBL MS-8

Item(s) Description/Condition: I have to list this item as used because I did install it and play with it. It was installed for a total of four weeks but only run for two of them because I decided to go back to my original setup after a week and then after reading more about the unit decided to try it one more time.

Price: $500 via PayPal (includes shipping - see below)

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information: Price includes regular ground FedEx shipping to anywhere in mainland US. Shipping to Canada will be considered. Expedited options at request and expense of buyer. I will only use UPS at the expense of the buyer.

Item Pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26524874[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26524872[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26524873[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26524871[/ATTACH]

(List pictures in this section, 1st picture should be your username/date if you have less than 10 positive feedbacks with the i-Trader system or less than 10 references that you have sold to in the past. (These must be listed in your signature, or a link provided to a feedback thread listing these references)).
    • By firemedic7733
      Item(s) for Sale:

USED Kenwood KIV-BT901 digital media receiver. Includes Bluetooth mic, remote and Kenwood iPod cable.

Item(s) Description/Condition:

8/10. Only because it is used and shows VERY minor signs of wear. It is a factory refurb unit but operates flawlessly. This is an amazing head unit! 5 band EQ, Fully adjustable DSP, integrated iPod controls with video display. Bluetooth phone & streaming audio.

Price:

$175 PayPal. Includes standard shipping to lower 48 via USPS
      Open to trades. In need of a decent set of subs, 6.5 comps

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

Shipping including to lower 48

Item Pictures:
      (List pictures in this section, 1st picture should be your username/date if you have less than 10 positive feedbacks with the i-Trader system or less than 10 references that you have sold to in the past. (These must be listed in your signature, or a link provided to a feedback thread listing these references)).
    • By corysquires
      Item(s) for Sale:
      1 X Audison Bit One DSP with DRC Remote

Item(s) Description/Condition:
      Functional 10/10
      Appearance 9/10
      Already Upgraded Firmware
      Includes Software and Manual
      Included Tuning CDRom

Price:
      $550.00

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:
      Included

Item Pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26547498[/ATTACH]