any recommendation for 5.25 comps?

Participant count
  • Participants list

lubetek
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Been awhile. I normally just work with current audio equipment I own or buy brands that I trust. I'm a big CDT Audio speaker fan. Been running sets of their speakers since 2005. I have 3 sets of their comps. These speakers have been fantastic over the years but now I need 5.25 comps instead of 6.5 and I wouldn't mind trying something new. If all else fails I will just order some more CDT's but we'll see.

Okay so I need two sets of 5.25 comps for my 99 Lexus LS400. These will be installed in each door. I want to stick with 5.25" because that is the factory size and when I decide to sell the car I want to put all of the original audio equipment back in. So no; I do not want to modify the door openings to allow a larger speaker.

The amp that I will use is my trusty Diamond Audio D600.4 ( 90 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (150 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms) )

My budget is not set in stone but I would love to pay no more than $500-600 total for both sets. I'm flexible though. I want SQ over SPL but I like my music loud and clean. These will be paired with one of my subs but I have not made a decision yet. I have a couple of 10's a 12 and a 15 to choose from. I'm tempted to use my SoundSplinter RL-p 15 but I may go with a 10 or 12 instead to save space.

Also I am not interested in Active setup. I prefer passive. I know I know...active is awesome...still not interested though.

Any recommendations? God it's been so long since I've looked into current comps. I like quite a few brands but would like some opinions if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Oh and ignore the signature below. I still own all of that equipment except for the deck but it's all in other cars now. I own 3 cars and a truck so lots of audio gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been awhile. I normally just work with current audio equipment I own or buy brands that I trust. I'm a big CDT Audio speaker fan. Been running sets of their speakers since 2005. I have 3 sets of their comps. These speakers have been fantastic over the years but now I need 5.25 comps instead of 6.5 and I wouldn't mind trying something new. If all else fails I will just order some more CDT's but we'll see.
The ES Gold 5.25" mid-woofers are the obvious choice. The choices get interesting when considering the rest of the speaker set parts. Have you ever tried CDT's Accent Fill pods as part of a 3-way system? Pm me if you'd like, I can help directly.

The ES Gold 5.25" mid-woofers are the obvious choice. The choices get interesting when considering the rest of the speaker set parts. Have you ever tried CDT's Accent Fill pods as part of a 3-way system? Pm me if you'd like, I can help directly.
I own their upstage kit which adds two additional tweeters to the front dash. I think it might be the same thing you are talking about. I know they have 3-way systems as well (woofer, mid and tweet) but I have no spot to place the mids so i don't see that working too well. 

I have these in my Hyundai: CDT ES-620 and CDT UP224 upstage kit

I love the detailed and clear sound of CDT. I also love that they can handle a lot of power. 

Currently I own the following CDT speakers:

CDT ES-620 6.5" comps

CDT Audio M6+ 6.5" 240 Watt Mid-Bass/Sub-Bass Drivers

CDT Audio CL-51A 5.25" comps

CDT Audio UP224

I was thinking about trying out some Infinity Perfects 500 or 600 (But if I go 6.5" I will have to modify the opening to fit. I suppose I can do that if I keep in mind I will have to buy a cheap set of 6.5" to toss in if I sell the car.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Infinity 500 series look pretty nice for the $.I wouldnt mind trying a set of 6.5s myself.I have a set of Kappa 60.11s and the mids sound really good for what i paid for the set.. the tweeters didnt do so well, but I ended up replacing the tweets with a pair of CDT DR26 and together they sound really nice and clean.Ive enjoyed all my CDT speakers.They do sound good with door preping, and getting some clean power on them

I think I'm just going to say F it and modify my door panels to hold 6.5. I also think I'm just going to spend the money and buy another set of CDT ES speakers. At least I know I'll love them.

I really wanted to try something different but as nice as those Infinity Perfects look I have read some poor comments on them from buyers and I think I will skip them. I have owned Kappas in the past but didn't like them. Lack of midrange kinda killed it for me but those were $149 a set (2 sets of 6.5") so maybe spending more money on higher end Infinity speakers is the better way to go but I'd hate to buy these Perfects and discover they don't sound as good as what I'm used to with CDT.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.