Tuning,kinda,question(s)

Jeremy11

So bear with me. I am in the process of collecting the pieces to go active. I have ordered the silver flute 6.5s the eBay Alpine tweeters and am debating pioneer head unit vs Dayton dsp. I just don't think the Rockford t1 components are very good and I am not really fond of the Kenwood head unit I have. But 1 of the questions is even on the current equipment I can play some songs that sound absolutely wonderful. Some sound like garbage while others I can tune via eq over a few times of listening and they are ok. I understand that not every song  sounds good in a system, but there are songs I have listened to a million times that just aren't right. Then there is the no bass at all vs having to turn sub volume all the way down. I mainly use Bluetooth,some cds. Will a dsp "even things out" so to speak? Some times it sounds ok at moderate volume but at full volume sounds like garbage.Not running any rear speakers. I will also need to work on my sub stage but that's another post. A little info, 06 Avalon stock electrical, big 3. Don't know if voltage is an issue? Rockford t600-4 for mids/tweets, punch bd1000 for subs. I have use sound dampener sealed doors as much as possible. Any input would be appreciated, and thanks for reading my long jumble hope it made sense to someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
voltage is something you should be monitoring and several manufacturers make voltage meters that are pretty easy to install. SoundQubed has a voltmeter that is well regarded and is very reasonably priced, you just need to calibrate it yourself as it doesnt read actual voltage out of the box. If youre running your main positive wire to a distro block, you should be able to connect the lead that goes to the volt meter directly to that to get an accurate idea of what your amps are seeing before the split, or you can go hardcoe and get a voltmeter for each amp and connect the lead at the pos terminal of each amp for more accuracy

I think you should start by playing some of the songs giving you trouble through just the components, unhook /disable the subs and see if you can get it to sound good while making adjustments. You may even want to unhook the tweeters and see if you can get the volume you want out of the midbass drivers without having them distort. Sounds like you could have your gains set too low and be clipping the signal when you turn up the HU vol too much. Or you could be trying to drive too much bass out of the midbass drivers. Its also possible that one of the crossovers has a bad component and is not filtering correctly.

I think you should start by playing some of the songs giving you trouble through just the components, unhook /disable the subs and see if you can get it to sound good while making adjustments. You may even want to unhook the tweeters and see if you can get the volume you want out of the midbass drivers without having them distort. Sounds like you could have your gains set too low and be clipping the signal when you turn up the HU vol too much. Or you could be trying to drive too much bass out of the midbass drivers. Its also possible that one of the crossovers has a bad component and is not filtering correctly.
That's a good idea. The main problem area I think is where the mid and tweet hand off. Rock with "screaming guitars" really scream and are harsh. On my eq I have narrowed it down to the 2.5k to 6.3k range. also my overall tuning ability lacks so that may be part of it as well. Hopefully once I go active and set the xover points correctly I can get it a little easier. I think I am going pioneer hu, just need to pick one. Going double din still.

I can see that as an explanation for the mids/highs. But what about the discrepancy with the bass? 
the bass sounding like sh*t is most likely 
A: piss poor box design
B: Bad box orientation
C. You have stock electrical, you not gonna get anything unless you add another batt in the back or upgrade alt.

D: Your settings arent correct on the head unit sub level should be up high to max, volume should be 90% in order to get max pre-out signal out of the head unit. Bass boost off, RSE off, sound lift and space enhancer off, loudness off.

Jeffdachef said:
the bass sounding like sh*t is most likely 
A: piss poor box design
B: Bad box orientation
C. You have stock electrical, you not gonna get anything unless you add another batt in the back or upgrade alt.

? Your settings arent correct on the head unit sub level should be up high to max, volume should be 90% in order to get max pre-out signal out of the head unit. Bass boost off, RSE off, sound lift and space enhancer off, loudness off.
So after working on my front stage I know I need another box. I have thought about adding another battery. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it. As far as the settings all the boost ect is off. There is a sub volume that goes from -50 to 10. I set the gain with it at 0 so I would have a little adjustment. Well thanks for the info. I will,start a thread about bass after Imdo the active set up.

Lets just say with my corolla, i saw massive increase in bass strength and clarity after adding a 2nd battery. Same issue with my buddy's jeep. 2nd battery makes a huge difference especially with power hogging Rockford amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.