Lithium Titanate (LTO) battery bank build.

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
This is a thread for progress and results of the LTO battery banks I'm going to be building for my Jeep and my brother's Civic. 

So far so good.  It was pretty scary sending a bunch of money to China but the cells arrived and the fella at the company was very helpful and on the ball with updates of order status.  Everything arrived well packed and seemingly in good condition.  I'm ordering some copper bar today and will hopefully get to building bus bars early next week or whenever my brother can get up here to help out for a day or two.

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

How much did you pay per cell and how many did you have to buy.
Price is low 20$ range plus shipping.  I paid for sea shipping which saved a fair bit of money but it's still pretty expensive.  If you don't mind paying more you can get them delivered in about a week (mine were about 7-8 weeks from payment to delivery).  I bought 84 pieces, different sellers probably have different minimum order quantity.

I'm guessing 40.
That's roughly the price with express shipping or the price to buy them from sellers who ship from USA.

Awwwwwwesome. Very glad to hear that everything was legit. Even used protective corners on the boxes. The cells are a little bigger than I expected, but 40Ah!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the diy lithium build. I was looking at doing this myself. Upon my many hours and countless days of research I  found that you need the lithium iron phosphate cells as the lithium have to many variables if something was to go wrong. Also checked into many brands such as limitless and jy lithiums, neither of them run BMS (battery management systems) which is why vehicles are catching on fire as the cells become unstable at certain temps or charge irregular and cause short and then fire. Also loomed at xs power lithium and many others. The DS18 lithium seem the most transparent as they have wingnut tops on their case and u can check quality your self. I Called GP audio and was just asking and asked why they haven't  any lithiums yet, this striked an hr long convo of the research they have put into and money as well and why they won't  have any lithiums. Basically was told that lithiums are still to unstable even though the cells have that lil valve that will pop if something goes wrong and the BMS systems. If a cell pops being that close to the others it will cause an explosion. Also the bms systems detect alot of things like equal charging and safety shut offs. But the bms for car audio would cost to much to be practical and affordable. I was told that there is a new tech. That will be put in a couple yrs that will be as good as lithium and as safe as agm baterries. I decided I  am going to wait on lithium and just get another xsd3400 or maybe a North star if they ever go on sale. Lol. I see you stated lithium titanate, what is that? Is it safe? Also do you still need to have the special charging and checking system to utilize the use of these cells correctly? Will you be running bms on these? If anything I  have stated is incorrect by all means please enlighten me, I  want to go lithium so badly just  like a 80ah lithium but they same to risky and dangerous still.

Congrats on the diy lithium build. I was looking at doing this myself. Upon my many hours and countless days of research I  found that you need the lithium iron phosphate cells as the lithium have to many variables if something was to go wrong. Also checked into many brands such as limitless and jy lithiums, neither of them run BMS (battery management systems) which is why vehicles are catching on fire as the cells become unstable at certain temps or charge irregular and cause short and then fire. Also loomed at xs power lithium and many others. The DS18 lithium seem the most transparent as they have wingnut tops on their case and u can check quality your self. I Called GP audio and was just asking and asked why they haven't  any lithiums yet, this striked an hr long convo of the research they have put into and money as well and why they won't  have any lithiums. Basically was told that lithiums are still to unstable even though the cells have that lil valve that will pop if something goes wrong and the BMS systems. If a cell pops being that close to the others it will cause an explosion. Also the bms systems detect alot of things like equal charging and safety shut offs. But the bms for car audio would cost to much to be practical and affordable. I was told that there is a new tech. That will be put in a couple yrs that will be as good as lithium and as safe as agm baterries. I decided I  am going to wait on lithium and just get another xsd3400 or maybe a North star if they ever go on sale. Lol. I see you stated lithium titanate, what is that? Is it safe? Also do you still need to have the special charging and checking system to utilize the use of these cells correctly? Will you be running bms on these? If anything I  have stated is incorrect by all means please enlighten me, I  want to go lithium so badly just  like a 80ah lithium but they same to risky and dangerous still.
thats a lot to read 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been running my own DIY LTO lithium batteries most of this year. They are awesome.Different cells though.
I'm  curious on the LTO builds as all i thought  there was is the lithium iron phosphate. Are these other cells safer? Charge just as fast and everything as the lithiums? I'm  gonna research these as I'd  rather build one of these then get another agm and a h/o alternator. How much did it cost ya if u don't  mind me asking? I know these builds aren't  cheap but much cheaper than buying a premade like jy or limitless one. You haven't  had any issues with this build?  So many questions on building these still.

I'm  curious on the LTO builds as all i thought  there was is the lithium iron phosphate. Are these other cells safer? Charge just as fast and everything as the lithiums? I'm  gonna research these as I'd  rather build one of these then get another agm and a h/o alternator. How much did it cost ya if u don't  mind me asking? I know these builds aren't  cheap but much cheaper than buying a premade like jy or limitless one. You haven't  had any issues with this build?  So many questions on building these still.
Yes, these cells are safer. I am not using the same style LTO lithium cell as hispls, I will let him answer your other questions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.