Earthquake D2- never dyno'ed?!

Participant count
  • Participant list
They are just difficult to find for just doing a Dyno test on. Plus with most of them being 20 years old, the functionality and reliability of the amp becomes questionable.

Theyre still around.  Went the way of hiphonics, soundstream, usamps, tho.

The d2 was legendary, it was rated at 2k rms in the late 90's, which was pretty good back then.  All kinds of stories of it being really underrated.

VERY unstable tho.  Breath on them wrong and theyll blow

Theyre still around.  Went the way of hiphonics, soundstream, usamps, tho.

The d2 was legendary, it was rated at 2k rms in the late 90's, which was pretty good back then.  All kinds of stories of it being really underrated.

VERY unstable tho.  Breath on them wrong and theyll blow
2k was pretty good for the 90s? it was nearly top of the tree from what i can recall. Plus this thing didnt have a very big footprint, which is likely what caused its instability issues. @bigblank69 if anyone has one on offer, you should totally do it (advising them of the potential of it exploding, of course). Not many amps of this era did over 2k watts shy of the PPI PC21400. Has that model been bench tested yet? I really dislike the term "dyno" for amps

2k was pretty good for the 90s? it was nearly top of the tree from what i can recall. Plus this thing didnt have a very big footprint, which is likely what caused its instability issues. @bigblank69 if anyone has one on offer, you should totally do it (advising them of the potential of it exploding, of course). Not many amps of this era did over 2k watts shy of the PPI PC21400. Has that model been bench tested yet? I really dislike the term "dyno" for amps
It's been a lot of beers since the 90's, i know us amos had the vlx4000, i really cant think of any amos that did over 2k during that time.....maybe kicker?   Hifonics? Sounstream?

It's been a lot of beers since the 90's, i know us amos had the vlx4000, i really cant think of any amos that did over 2k during that time.....maybe kicker?   Hifonics? Sounstream?
IIRC there was a Hifonics Colossus (two Zeus boards in one heatsink) which would make around 2K.   I do know they had a reputation for blowing up but I'm pretty certain the guys in the lanes with them were running them way below rated impedance.   I sold a sub on this forum to a guy who was using one 7 years ago or so.  Can't remember who it was though, but he didn't have any complaints.

Can't speak for anybody else but I know Stephen Mantz (Zed) told me that in the late 90s some legislation basically broke amp manufacturing in the USA.  He was making Boss amps at the time and employing 100 people.... something to do with having to provide health insurance or something I believe the story was.  Many of those companies were in SoCal and pretty much all of them folded or outsourced manufacturing to the far east around then so I'd suspect there's something there.

IIRC there was a Hifonics Colossus (two Zeus boards in one heatsink) which would make around 2K.   I do know they had a reputation for blowing up but I'm pretty certain the guys in the lanes with them were running them way below rated impedance.   I sold a sub on this forum to a guy who was using one 7 years ago or so.  Can't remember who it was though, but he didn't have any complaints.

Can't speak for anybody else but I know Stephen Mantz (Zed) told me that in the late 90s some legislation basically broke amp manufacturing in the USA.  He was making Boss amps at the time and employing 100 people.... something to do with having to provide health insurance or something I believe the story was.  Many of those companies were in SoCal and pretty much all of them folded or outsourced manufacturing to the far east around then so I'd suspect there's something there.
Never heard that, ***** tho cause those old amps were awesome.  

When did the hman reign come out?  Im really trying to think of 2k amps from before 2000.  Did i forget them or were thry just not available?   The cadence a7 was around 1500.....it around the time cheater amps were dying and actual ratings were used.  

Mtx, rockford, and kicker were still great stuff back then

Im really trying to think of 2k amps from before 2000
I can think of the Colossus and the big US amps.   Soundstream never made any big big mono amps IIRC all their huge limited edition amps were multichannels, same with PPI and Phoenix Gold.  Doing a little digging, PH2 Earthquake may have even been 2000-2001 release so may be a bit later than we thought.  There just wasn't much pre class D that was much over 1000W.

Not sure if the Earthquake was even the biggest power of it's time but just cheap to buy cheap to repair, easy to mod, and small footprint.   They were the winningest amp in the lanes for a little bit though early 2000s. 

Damn, i thought they came out earlier.  

Soooooooo much opposing information out there.

Lots of people saying they did maybe 1400 watts max and sounded horrible.

I ran mine at 4 ohms and it was louder than a cross fire vx1k at 1 ohm, as well as a lightning 1k r7nning at 1 ohm.  

It didnt sound dirty either, at least not that i noticed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.