Video switching

Participant count
  • Participant list

Strahan

CarAudio.com Newbie
This isn't car audio, but I wasn't sure where else to go.  I was annoyed at all the places in my town where when you try to pull out from an intersection, you cannot see oncoming traffic due to parked cars or shrubbery.  I have a screen that has an aux A/V which I currently use for a media player.  I was thinking of buying a pair of bullet cams and drilling holes on the driver/psgr sides of the front bumper cover.  I'd then mount them and switch their feed to the A/V input so when I am approaching a blind intersection, I can turn them on and have a view down the road from a perspective that is five feet or so forward of my eyes.  

That said..  I'm not sure what to use to switch the inputs.  I'll have left cam, right cam and media player so I need at least a 3 input composite switcher.  Audio isn't relevant so I'm open to options that are video only.  Problem is, a lot of the ones I see aren't really setup to be remotely switched.  They are big boxes with knobs or push buttons on the front.  I suppose I could make that work, but I really would rather avoid it.  A three way toggle I can install in the dash with a cable running to a remote placed switch box would be far more preferable.

Anyone know if such a beast exists?

Good One

c.png

welcome to the forum! i wish i had better news for you, but outside of oem stuff thats usually mounted on wing mirrors, none such thing exists. youre looking at a video switching device and some soldering and maybe some relays to make the buttons accessible remotely. What kind of car is it?

many vehicles have some specific forums that have the same kind of weirdos that we are specifically dedicated to your vehicle and they might be able to offer up some ideas too. Sadly, often times questions like these are best answered by someone who has had the same issue and solved it via brainstorming with other electronics junkies, but they are all dispersed across the net on tons of different forums. I have a couple honda forums i poke around in from time to time with oddball stuff too. I HATE my TCS system in my car and wanted to make it to where it was off every time i started 'er up. I asked in the accord forums if there was a way to make it default to off and i got my ass chewed by some idiot who thought that keeping TCS on at all times was the only acceptable way to drive, so beware of the jerkoffs out there LoL i ended up going with a timed relay to auto-defeat the tcs.

Thanks all.  At this point, it's not really a vehicle specific issue (13 Veloster turbo btw) as it is simply a composite video switching issue.  Trying to find a simple 3+ way composite switch that is compact with a compatible control system is harder than I thought.  Guess I just need to keep hunting :)

Thanks all.  At this point, it's not really a vehicle specific issue (13 Veloster turbo btw) as it is simply a composite video switching issue.  Trying to find a simple 3+ way composite switch that is compact with a compatible control system is harder than I thought.  Guess I just need to keep hunting :)
i know its not vehicle specific, just throwing it out there that there are many folks in specific forums that wont ever come into a car audio forum who might be able to help as well. Heck, you could even jump into a more tuner-friendly cars forum and ask there. People with low slung cars are really protective of them and might have this same issue with oblique junctions and so forth

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.