Amp in protect mode

Participant count
  • Participant list

nonuthingrookie

CarAudio.com Newbie
HELP!  I just installed a JL500/1D amp today to run a 10 inch JL sub along with a Pioneer GMA6704 4 ch amp to run (4 ) 6 1/2 coaxials. I am an amateur at this and know bare basics. Probably got in a little too deep over my head. When I ran my wiring my Pioneer amp would not power on, but the JL amp did, hooray for me. The green light was on on the JL. No light was on on the Pioneer. In an effort to check my power cable to the amps I unhooked the power wire from the JL and plugged it into the Pioneer, knowing the JL had power. Still no power to the Pioneer, still no light. Then came my bigger problem. I unhooked the power wire from the Pioneer, turned the car off, took the keys out of the ignition and hooked the power wire back to the JL amp. When the wire hit the terminal it sparked ( I guess there was still current in the wire or maybe it accidentally touched the ground when I did it). Either way now my green light on the JL is off and the amp light is red in protect mode. Is it fried? Can it be reset? Do I need to send it back? Lots of issues here I know.... Any help is appreciated.

Installation error. You have fried the power supply inside the amplifier/JL amp. It will need to be repaired.On the Pioneer amplifier, if it has an onboard fuse, check to see if it is blown, if not, take it to a local car audio shop and get it bench tested. Most do for $20 bucks or nothing at all.

HELP!  I just installed a JL500/1D amp today to run a 10 inch JL sub along with a Pioneer GMA6704 4 ch amp to run (4 ) 6 1/2 coaxials. I am an amateur at this and know bare basics. Probably got in a little too deep over my head. When I ran my wiring my Pioneer amp would not power on, but the JL amp did, hooray for me. The green light was on on the JL. No light was on on the Pioneer. In an effort to check my power cable to the amps I unhooked the power wire from the JL and plugged it into the Pioneer, knowing the JL had power. Still no power to the Pioneer, still no light. Then came my bigger problem. I unhooked the power wire from the Pioneer, turned the car off, took the keys out of the ignition and hooked the power wire back to the JL amp. When the wire hit the terminal it sparked ( I guess there was still current in the wire or maybe it accidentally touched the ground when I did it). Either way now my green light on the JL is off and the amp light is red in protect mode. Is it fried? Can it be reset? Do I need to send it back? Lots of issues here I know.... Any help is appreciated.
the key/ignition doesnt determine if the power wire is live or not. sounds like it has gone into the "advanced rollback protection"

good call on the computer repair shops. for them a pcb is a pcb is a pcb is a pcb for the most part and computers run on 6, 12 and 24 volts anyways
Ive had a couple Gems repaired at a Local Computer shop in the past. They do not get in a rush, so just be patient. Ive learned how to repair most amps over the years but rarely do any more. time isnt on my side at the moment

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.