What Subwoofer Should I Buy?

Participant count
  • Participant list

johnnyyukon

CarAudio.com Newbie
Howdy, new here, but car audio hobby guy.

So I recently decided to overhaul my sound system.

Vital stats:  2004 Honda Accord EX‑L.  Front door speakers aftermarket, and JUST replaced the rear 6x9s JBL GX963. Head unit (they still call 'em that?) is a brand spanking new single din Pioneer, DEH-S6120BS,  Built-in Amplifier MOSFET 50W x 4, 3 RCA outs, so not using an amp for the mid range speakers, just for the woofer.

I used to have a couple of 10"s back in the day but figured I didn't need skull thumping bass in my adulthood so I bought a very high rated "slim 10"" woofer/amp combo from a company called Rockville.  A company I have since researched and they seem to have good stuff, but also reports of a shady company, but no conclusive evidence. 

But moving on, I installed it (link:  Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt )  and....well...it was just wimpy.  

Turns out I DO want that bass that irritates the neighbors.  

I know I'm rambling, but I'll try to sum up.  I had also ordered the same one but the 8" by ACCIDENT but have sent both back and awaiting credit/exchange which will end up being around 230.00.

So, in the past, I had another honda and had a ported 10"  (maybe 12") in the trunk and it sounded great, loved that thing.  I like rap/hip hop and bassy stuff.  Don't want a sealed box.  

Questions is......For a ported single box in the trunk, what size woofer should I get 10 or 12?  Not trying to set off car alarms but want so Oomph.  Also, HAVING the option for crazy bass wouldn't be bad.  

I'm kind of stuck going through Rockville because money (about 230.00) was a gift.   They have their own stuff BUT also a few trusted brands like Kicker.

The two set ups I was looking at are linked below.  Both are full kits, woofer, wiring, amp, box.  One is a 12" Kicker the other is a 10" Rockville sub I can't find much info about.....

First one:

(1) Rockville 10" Car Audio Subwoofer

(1) Rockville Single 10” 1.0 cu.ft. 3/4" MDF Vented Subwoofer Enclosure Box

(1) Rockville dB12 2000 Watt/1000w RMS Mono Class D 2 Ohm Amplifier Car Audio Amp

(1) Rockville RWK41 4 Gauge Complete Wire Kit w/RCA's

10 Drywall Wood Screws (Wood screws are the type of screws; the screws are actually made of metal)

12 Feet of 14 AWG Blue Speaker Wire

2 Spade Terminals

2nd/Kicker one:

(1) KICKER 12" Single Car Audio Subwoofer

(1) Rockville Single 12" Vented 1.6 Cu Ft Car Sub Enclosure Box

(1) Rockville RXA-T1 1500 Watt Peak/750w RMS 2 Channel Amplifier Car Stereo Amp

(1) Rockville RWK81 8 Gauge Complete Wire Kit with 100% Copper RCA

10 Drywall Wood Screws (Wood screws are the type of screws; the screws are actually made of metal)

12 Feet of 14 AWG Blue Speaker Wire

2 Spade Terminals

Links:

Kicker Setup

Rockville W10K6D4 V2 10" 2000w Subwoofer+Vented Sub Box+Mono Amplifier+Amp Kit

I'm not dead set on one or the other but they seemed to be in my humble price range and specs to what I like.

The Rockville brand setup seems much more powerful, but can't find any reviews.

Anyway sorry for the long read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id just give you the same advice as everyone else... buy decent quality, remember pay now or pay later.... and if you are able, build your own enclosure.

As far as those brands are concerned... I got nothing.

The Rockville brand setup seems much more powerful.
Don't let the big numbers on the boxes blind you to reality... personally I believe it's a 500-600 watt or so setup at best and swap-meet quality to boot.

If your stuck purchasing from there... well...  I suppose SOMEBODY will step-up and defend this brand?... IDK who tho. 

I hear ya, maybe I'll just use that credit towards $200.00 worth of speaker wire.   Like my pappy used to say, you can never have too much speaker wire.

What company/website is the credit with? There is good budget stuff out there, but there is a lot of ******** to sift through to get there. 
Rockville

And you are 100% right about a lot of **** to sift through, this site especially, they seem to have a labyrinth of products. 

A lot you can get on amazon and a lot of their stuff gets like 300 plus reviews with 4.5 stars, and don't care what anyone says, that is a solid sign of hey, maybe this **** ain't so bad!

I am quite confident I can find something that will work and work well, they do have a 90 day return policy.   

But aside from the advice, "ya, er, ya just need to have mur money"  I'd be interested to know, ignoring price for a second, what size woofer (single), and how much RMS ampage or whatever, if I'm wanting a port box in the trunk, space isn't really an issue, would you guys recommend? 

Again, not trying to win a car show, just rattle some stuff, and like I said, I like rap and lower frequencies. 

Danke!

I'd get a 5ch amp with about 300 watts on the sub channel and go with the CompC personally, and you'll be able to have your highs properly amped too it'll sound WAY better IMO. Build a box that will get you some lows (it'll still be punchy AF but not so bad). At least Kicker is a known quantity and I've done some Comp 12's that made the owner smile before.  

As far as the Rockville site goes I'm not sure what's available but even 300 watts done properly can sound good to most people.

Just avoid the prefabs with a Kicker unless you want to lose that under 40hz information... lol

IDK... maybe like this...

0XWFL6.jpg

I'm out.

I'd get a 5ch amp with about 300 watts on the sub channel and go with the CompC personally, and you'll be able to have your highs properly amped too it'll sound WAY better IMO. Build a box that will get you some lows (it'll still be punchy AF but not so bad). At least Kicker is a known quantity and I've done some Comp 12's that made the owner smile before.  

As far as the Rockville site goes I'm not sure what's available but even 300 watts done properly can sound good to most people.

Just avoid the prefabs with a Kicker unless you want to lose that under 40hz information... lol

IDK... maybe like this...

I'm out.
Ok thanks.

So I've definitely never built a box and until recently, basically the last week, I didn't know prefabs were generally so bad.

I can do some pretty basic wood working, feel confident I could probably do it.

Is there a good instructional/video  link or 2 you know of off the top or should I just youtube it?

Torres box calculator works great, as far as apps go I'd use Ultimate Audio app for box design (I'd keep it around 12in2^ft3 of port for lower power/lower level sub, or 6-8in2^ft3 of port if using a round) of course I'd recommend modeling it up but using BB6 or Winisd might be a bit much for the beginner.

Really using that equipment is setting you up for a fail eventually... you'll hear someone else's setup and be crushed. So much more you can get output and extension-wise for basically the same price. Sux your married to buying it there.

Kush said it up front... poor equipment gets poor results.

And the "reviews" you read don't mean squat... mainly people who wouldn't know the difference unless they experience a good setup anyways.

the rockville amps may not be so bad as long as you put an entire tube of silicone around the torroids
Gluing parts together because the chinese sweatshop couldn't get it right to begin with is unacceptable. There is no way to justify it and by buying equipment made like that reinforces **** quality control and tells the manufacturer you are a complacent spineless consumer who supports the race to zero. 

f**k THAT ****

Gluing parts together because the chinese sweatshop couldn't get it right to begin with is unacceptable. There is no way to justify it and by buying equipment made like that reinforces **** quality control and tells the manufacturer you are a complacent spineless consumer who supports the race to zero. 

f**k THAT ****
woah bro!! i know! i was kidding!! also taking a stab at rockville myself for necessitating the entire tube of solicone to make sure their **** doesnt rattle apart lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.