Distoraton at low volume levels using pioneer speakers and JVC Head unit

maq1919

CarAudio.com Recruit
I'm running a jvc KD-R680S with a Memphis PRX 4.50 amp and Pioneer TS-G1645R 250W 6.5" 2-Way G-Series Coaxial Car Speakers with a Rockville 10 inch powered sub. I am getting distortion at low volume levels. I have the head unit set to low power under the amp gain settings and still cant turn it up. I think its the speakers. I will be replacing them with Pioneer TSA1676R 6-1/2" 3-Way Car Speakers. The old speakers are 80 watts rms. The new ones are 50 rms. My amp puts out 50 rms and 300 peak. The new speakers can handle 320 watts peak. Will this fix my problem or is it something else. I'm asking that because I had a pioneer DEH 150MP and didn't have this issue. I had a local stereo shop do the work and am bringing it back Wednesday to have the new speakers put in. I know their not the best but I like pioneer products. also a noise filter is hooked up because I was getting (engine noise) with the pioneer a constant whining varying with the rpm. The pioneer was swapped to the jvc about 6 months ago. Sorry about the text size differences... it happened once I copy and pasted the link to my speakers from amazon lol.

I'm running a jvc KD-R680S with a Memphis PRX 4.50 amp and Pioneer TS-G1645R 250W 6.5" 2-Way G-Series Coaxial Car Speakers with a Rockville 10 inch powered sub. I am getting distortion at low volume levels. I have the head unit set to low power under the amp gain settings and still cant turn it up. I think its the speakers. I will be replacing them with Pioneer TSA1676R 6-1/2" 3-Way Car Speakers. The old speakers are 80 watts rms. The new ones are 50 rms. My amp puts out 50 rms and 300 peak. The new speakers can handle 320 watts peak. Will this fix my problem or is it something else. I'm asking that because I had a pioneer DEH 150MP and didn't have this issue. I had a local stereo shop do the work and am bringing it back Wednesday to have the new speakers put in. I know their not the best but I like pioneer products. also a noise filter is hooked up because I was getting (engine noise) with the pioneer a constant whining varying with the rpm. The pioneer was swapped to the jvc about 6 months ago. Sorry about the text size differences... it happened once I copy and pasted the link to my speakers from amazon lol.
Let me rephrase what I said. I'm using a 300 watt amp with 50 rms to each speaker. My current speakers are 80 rms per speaker. My new speakers will be 50 rms and 320 peak. Should that help with the distortion? I did read that my old speakers were underpowered. Also the stereo shop told me the same thing. Sorry for being a bug but im taking the car back Wednesday and want these issues corrected.

Let me rephrase what I said. I'm using a 300 watt amp with 50 rms to each speaker. My current speakers are 80 rms per speaker. My new speakers will be 50 rms and 320 peak. Should that help with the distortion? I did read that my old speakers were underpowered. Also the stereo shop told me the same thing. Sorry for being a bug but im taking the car back Wednesday and want these issues corrected.
the font thing was throwing me off for a minute there, almost like you had typing tourettes or something LoL jk

anyways, that amp puts out an actual 50 watts to each channel and in no way should that amount of power cause distortion at low volume levels. These speakers are in no way capable of handling 250 watts either, just look at the magnet on the 5th image on this link. Not even close to 250 watt speakers. Does the distortion continue as you turn it up too?

the font thing was throwing me off for a minute there, almost like you had typing tourettes or something LoL jk

anyways, that amp puts out an actual 50 watts to each channel and in no way should that amount of power cause distortion at low volume levels. These speakers are in no way capable of handling 250 watts either, just look at the magnet on the 5th image on this link. Not even close to 250 watt speakers. Does the distortion continue as you turn it up too?
Yeah the more I turn it up the worse it sounds. especially with the bass going through them. If I have bass set to -6 their loud as hell but after 3 minutes I could spell burning so I I put my bass back on +3 and turned it down. My current settings are Loudness 2 Bass +3 Mids -4 Highs +3. I had a basic pioneer DEH-150 MP and don't remember having these issues as much. I can't play it past 22 on nertain bass heavy songs and that's with volume adjust -5. My other question are the pioneer TSA1676R better suited for that amp? I don't know much about car audio. However I have a pioneer 5.1 sytem with a polk sub in my room lol. My other question could the wiring be hooked up wrong? Whats causing the distortion?

I also didn't understand when you seaid 50 actual watts. Did you mean 50 peak? The info I found said 50 rms x4. Heres the link to the amp.

The shop that installed them told me they were (underpowered). I read similar reviews saying the same thing about low volume that I did.

https://www.dynamicautosound.net/products/memphis-car-audio-prx4-50

Last edited by a moderator:
I also didn't understand when you seaid 50 actual watts. Did you mean 50 peak? The info I found said 50 rms x4. Heres the link to the amp.

The shop that installed them told me they were (underpowered). I read similar reviews saying the same thing about low volume that I did.

https://www.dynamicautosound.net/products/memphis-car-audio-prx4-50
What I meant by saying an actual 50 watts is its RMS power. I have not seen anyone do a bench test of that amp, but it looks like the typical Korean made stuff that does at least close to its rates RMS power and 50 watts x 4 isnt that tough to get out of an amp that size and fuse rating. The big difference youll see as a new to car audio person is the decks that say 50x4 and they actually only put out like 12 watts per channel. Those speakers are not underpowered if that amp is putting out anywhere near rated power. Those speakers might be fried if you spelled burning. Did you buy that amp new from the shop youve referenced?

also, what frequency do you have the high pass filter set at on the amp for the front speakers? how are the gains sitting? that deck doesnt put out much voltage, so im assuming that the gains are pretty high. probably clipped the hell out of those speakers or something was wrong with the amp or speakers already. anyone else drive the car who might have cranked the piss out of it?

also, what frequency do you have the high pass filter set at on the amp for the front speakers? how are the gains sitting? that deck doesnt put out much voltage, so im assuming that the gains are pretty high. probably clipped the hell out of those speakers or something was wrong with the amp or speakers already. anyone else drive the car who might have cranked the piss out of it?
I don’t know where the high pass switch is located. I’m the only one that cranks it up lol I’ll send some pics. Sorry for not responding I was at work I turned loudness off now I can max out on low amp gain. Set it on the head unit the video is when loudness was on 2

5EA464FF-8E38-465A-9981-C9E6C49189BC.jpeg

33D31F8C-F3C4-48B8-A034-28DAC5E2189F.jpeg

D9E51588-A793-464C-8E38-13EA6E87AEDB.jpeg

0FCB354B-8C9F-4A71-948A-26F167D0B127.jpeg

4A61F345-025E-4FBC-A358-11D117BE1E2B.jpeg

View attachment D40678E3-21E6-4F1E-B48A-CE9EEB67DCB7.MOV

I have the sub maxxed on the head unit and bass boost maxed on the sub with the sub gain near minimum. Sub sound good for what it is. The remote is all the way up too
That's alot of settings maxed which is bad... but since it's just door speakers, I'm betting it's those cheap rca cables your using on the 4ch amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.