MattinMO

Replaced a stitched subwoofer surround

So I have a sundown sa12 that the surround is damaged beyond patching and it stitched I contact at sundown to see if they have some type of replacement surround available I’ve also looked around and seeing what might work for the sub as in when he ever replace just the surround on a stitched to surround sub? Obviously I won’t be able to stitch the new surround in which is fine as long as it stays together 

Edited by MattinMO

My wife doesn’t know about my car audio addiction...shhhh

15 minutes ago, MattinMO said:

So I have a sundown sa12 that the surround is damaged beyond patching and it stitched I contact at sundown to see if they have some type of replacement surround available I’ve also looked around and seeing what might work for the sub as in when he ever replace just the surround on a stitched to surround sub? Obviously I won’t be able to stitch the new surround in which is fine as long as it stays together 

Sounds like you need to recone it.

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/sundown-audio/243714-sundown-drop-kit-prices-updated-11-3-16-a.html

That’s what I want to avoid the sub works perfectly fine the surround is just too bad to patch 

Nooooooo. I’ll fix it even if it looks haggard it’s going on a 4th order 

17 hours ago, MattinMO said:

Nooooooo. I’ll fix it even if it looks haggard it’s going on a 4th order 

sorry bro, recone time for ya

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

This thread is worthless without pics. Just because you have a stitched surround doesn't mean it can't be fix but I'm not gonna sit here and guess what the damage looks like.

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

15 minutes ago, Slo_Ride said:

This thread is worthless without pics. Just because you have a stitched surround doesn't mean it can't be fix but I'm not gonna sit here and guess what the damage looks like.

What difference does it make what the damage looks like it’s got to be replaced. from rubbing up against the seat and a truck and there’s  pieces of rubber missing from crumbling from rubbing against the seat. Got sub from a friend for the free. It was still thumping and he had no idea what he had done to the sub until he flipped his seat forward to swap amps 

7F8927E7-037F-42C4-8101-2B1422B70EF6.jpeg

PSI has a mega roll they are sure will work for $32 imma give it a shot since sub was free 

15 minutes ago, MattinMO said:

What difference does it make what the damage looks like it’s got to be replaced. from rubbing up against the seat and a truck and there’s  pieces of rubber missing from crumbling from rubbing against the seat. Got sub from a friend for the free. It was still thumping and he had no idea what he had done to the sub until he flipped his seat forward to swap amps 

7F8927E7-037F-42C4-8101-2B1422B70EF6.jpeg

Because it's impossible for someone over the internet to just guess if it can be fixed. It's hard enough just seeing pics. Without, come on bro. Didn't know if it was a small tear or what. Butt fukk. That's pretty rough. I'd fix it. It's just foam glued to two more solid surfaces. I don't know how smart you are, but I could fix that. 

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

5 minutes ago, Slo_Ride said:

Because it's impossible for someone over the internet to just guess if it can be fixed. It's hard enough just seeing pics. Without, come on bro. Didn't know if it was a small tear or what. Butt fukk. That's pretty rough. I'd fix it. It's just foam glued to two more solid surfaces. I don't know how smart you are, but I could fix that. 

I’ve had to replace quite a few jl shitty foam surrounds so shouldn’t be much different other then having to take out the stitches 

2 minutes ago, MattinMO said:

I’ve had to replace quite a few jl shitty foam surrounds so shouldn’t be much different other then having to take out the stitches 

f**k the stitches bro. The only question is how mechanically inclined are you. Probably a dozen fixes. Last one, duct tape.

Sundown had a yard sale where they were selling surrounds, spiders, coils, caps and everything for people to build their own drop ins. Im sure Dave leib can hook you up with just a surround.  I personally would just get a drop in with an american coil.

Edited by Popwarhomie

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

14 minutes ago, Popwarhomie said:

Sundown had a yard sale where they were selling surrounds, spiders, coils, caps and everything for people to build their own drop ins. Im sure Dave leib can hook you up with just a surround.  I personally would just get a drop in with an american coil.

Agree. But I also know where Op is coming from. I would use duct tape.Thor's Hammers.

22 minutes ago, Slo_Ride said:

Agree. But I also know where Op is coming from. I would use duct tape.Thor's Hammers.

lol that shit did always work for him.   Actually what ever happened to that dude? Rob IIRC.

Edited by Popwarhomie

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

1 minute ago, Popwarhomie said:

lol that shit did always work for him. 

I mean shit. After seeing them pics,, shits fucks. Duct tape it or recone. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 9.28.39 PM.png

Gorilla tape should work just fine if you dont want to recone it and still be able to use that sub. Id recommend using a heat gun or a hair dryer to heat up the glue from the gorilla tape and either use a roller or just press with your hand enough to make sure it sticks well. prob be best to do both sides of the sub to make it a bit more rugged.Its either that or reone or replace the sub.Gorilla tape is about $6-8 bucks a roll. pretty good tape IMO

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Find it at Norther Tool, Lowes, H.Depot, Ace hardware, Walmart ect.

Edited by audiobaun

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now