Bad Amplifier?

mgoedde

CarAudio.com Newbie
So a few years back I bought a set of two 12" subs, an amp, and a sub box second-hand from a friend and over time, they have been working less and less. The amplifier is constantly going into protect mode if the volume knob is raised anything past audible level on the subs. After some research, I have found that the amp and subs that I bought were part of a "bass package" from Memphis Audio. All links for the products I have will be listed below. I have tried everything that I know how to do to get some use out of this system but I am on the verge of getting rid of it and buying new subs and an amp. Before I shell out money for this I really want to make sure I am not being dumb as I am definitely new to car audio.

Anyhow, the subs are 2x 12" Memphis Audio Reference subwoofers at 250W RMS. They are 2 Ohm subwoofers. I have the two of them wired in parallel to 4 Ohms. When using V=sqrt(P*R), I come up with around 31V to set the gain to on the amplifier. The amplifier is a Memphis Audio SRX 250.1 mono amplifier. When I raise the gain up to 31V with the subwoofers disconnected, it does not go into protect mode at all. As soon as I connect the subwoofers and listen to music, it instantly goes into protect mode when there is bass. When there is no bass, it goes back to normal. I have mulitmetered pretty much everything I can think of including, my battery's volts at car idle (14.4), my ground continuity, the voltage at the amp (14.4) and I have watched what the volts do when the amp goes into protect mode (nothing, the volts stay at 14.4).

Because of the power ratings on the amplifier and the subwoofers that are listed on the product descriptions linked below, I am really skeptical that this amplifier is powerful enough to push these subwoofers. But if that was the case, why would Memphis Audio pair them in this bass package?

I am really out of ideas here and any suggestions from this forum as to what I can test for for issues as well as any solutions or things to try to get anything out of these subs and amp would be greatly appreciated.

Links to products:

Subwoofers, box, bass package: https://www.memphiscaraudio.com/product-page/srx212-dual-12-bass-system

Amplifier: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-OWbrhPnjTqT/p_95316SR250/Memphis-Audio-16-SRX250-1.html

if they are svc 2 ohm subs wiring them parallel will give a final load of 1 ohm(your amp is prolly not 1 ohm stable), which is why it goes into protect.... wire them in series so the amp sees a 4 ohm load.... problem solved.....

Last edited by a moderator:
if they are svc 2 ohm subs wiring them parallel will give a final load of 1 ohm(your amp is prolly not 1 ohm stable), which is why it goes into protect.... wire them in series so the amp sees a 4 ohm load.... problem solved.....
Hmm, okay. I will try to wire them in series which should give a final load of 4 Ohms? So then my volt output on the speaker leads should be set to around 44V? I will give this a try once I get off work today.

no... recalculate your amp is only capable of 150 rms at 4 ohms.....24.49 v
So basically, the amp is only capable of less than the RMS rating of the subwoofers? I guess to me this doesn't make sense that a company would sell the two paired together. Again I am new to this area.

From what I found they are single 4 ohm and the amp is 2 ohm stable which would make sense. Are you positive they are 2 ohms or are they wired together at 2 ohms
Hmm, maybe I am remembering incorrectly. I will multimeter what I have them wired to when I get home from work.

They are 4 Ohm speakers. Just tested them with my multimeter. They are currently wired in parallel.
hmmm i dunno, one of those car audio mysteries....check all connections, grounds, rca's etc etc. make sure everything is tight and has good connection....could be just your amp going to crap....many many variables. so you do have a final load of 2 ohms then right?

hmmm i dunno, one of those car audio mysteries....check all connections, grounds, rca's etc etc. make sure everything is tight and has good connection....could be just your amp going to crap....many many variables
With this setup being over 5 years old and acting like this, do you think it is worth it to bring it to a car audio shop for them to look at or do you think I should just buy a new subwoofer and amp setup? I guess this is just an opinion question...

i would try to figure it out on your own..start by making sure power wire is secure under the hood and at amp, then check grounds....just take it one step at a time and trace all wires making sure every connection is secured, you will be surprised at what you will learn....or find someone with a spare amp and see if that one works...trial and error

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.